Plumbing Question - One Way Y fitting?

Jonny_H

www.freewebs.com
We have just completed the delivery trip on our new boat from Hamble to Fleetwood. As expected there are one or two little areas which we have discovered need some attention. One of them is in the forward heads. There is an upside down Y fitting into which the sink drains into the top, and at the bottom is connected on one side to the seacock and the other side to the bilge pump hose for the shower tray.

The seacock is below the waterline, (I've checked it works!). When draining the sink however it doesn't run down the seacock pipe, but straight into the bilge, and similarly, when running the bilge pump I simply fill the sink up! The result is a full bilge and a bucket and sponge required.

Is there a Y valve available with one way valves fitted so that water can only flow out of the sink and blige pump hose and is therefore forced out of the seacock hose?

I assume the problem is caused by the seacock being below the waterline and therefore water pressure makes it easier to drain down the other pipe (I have even tried putting the plug in the sink and running the bilge pump, but it either lifts the plug out or forces water through the sink overflow!).

Any suggestions welcome!

Jonny

G

[ QUOTE ]
We have just completed the delivery trip on our new boat from Hamble to Fleetwood. As expected there are one or two little areas which we have discovered need some attention. One of them is in the forward heads. There is an upside down Y fitting into which the sink drains into the top, and at the bottom is connected on one side to the seacock and the other side to the bilge pump hose for the shower tray.

The seacock is below the waterline, (I've checked it works!). When draining the sink however it doesn't run down the seacock pipe, but straight into the bilge, and similarly, when running the bilge pump I simply fill the sink up! The result is a full bilge and a bucket and sponge required.

Is there a Y valve available with one way valves fitted so that water can only flow out of the sink and blige pump hose and is therefore forced out of the seacock hose?

I assume the problem is caused by the seacock being below the waterline and therefore water pressure makes it easier to drain down the other pipe (I have even tried putting the plug in the sink and running the bilge pump, but it either lifts the plug out or forces water through the sink overflow!).

Any suggestions welcome!

Jonny

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally I have a bias against so-called one-way or non-return valves .... it only takes a bit of "fluff / sediment" etc. and it fails to close when it needs to.

Better is to cut the hoses and fit individual valves or even a multi-way valve ... with a closed position availble as well.

But why in such a use is the seacock below waterline ? Only reason normally to put one below waterline is if it needs to draw water up or is a toilet outlet. Many boats have sink / bilge-pump outlets at or above waterline.
I have a normal Y piece in an auto bilge pump + sink outlet to hull fitting and no problems. To ensure sink doesn't run down to bilge - my bilge pump discharge hose loops higher than max waterlevel of sink. Size of hose anf fittings are also such that even IF I had a reasonable amount of water to pump - sink would not fill.

Back to your problem - a multi-way valve is best I reckon, or individuals. Forget non-return jobs.

ccscott49

Visit site
You can get inline non returns, just use two, one in the bilge pump line and one in the sink line. They are available for chandlers etc.

Jonny_H

www.freewebs.com
If I had fitted it I would have used a seacock above the waterline, but this is how it is unfortunately. The bilge pump hose does loop up to around the same height as the sink plug.

I will try a couple of in-line valves - think this is the way forwards (will certainly be easier than sponging the bilge dry every time you brush your teeth / wash your hands!)

Thanks

Jonny

colvic987

Visit site
you say you have an upside down 'y' fitting, try turning it up the right way, the two outlets pointing up, if this doesn't work then you will have to do the following:

a) pipe the sink to the seacock and fit a new seacock for the shower bilge pump,

b) fit a 't' fitting to the seacock and a shut off valve to the sink to close when using the bilge pump

c) get a 'y' diverter to close sink or bilge inlet, to the seacock,..

the choice is yours, or any other solution the forumites will come up with...

good luck...

VicS

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Is there a Y valve available

[/ QUOTE ] There is but it means you will have to select either to drain the sink (I guess that would be the normal position to leave it in) or to discharge the pump. So you would need to access it easily.

Jonny_H

www.freewebs.com
That would be fine - the valve is just under the sink so would be easy to get at - have tried looking on a few chandlery sites, but haven't yet found either an in line one way valve or a selectable Y valve - any links?

Thanks in advance

Jonny

catmandoo

The Earth but normally in the place of the high st
Visit site
Connect the sink drain to the shower outlet with a tee piece . then take the outlet from the tee to the suction of a diaphragm pump (whale gulper) which is piped to discharge through your sea cock . If you want to refine the system you could fit a diverter valve in the suction instead of a tee so when you shower you switch it one way and flick a switch to start the pump . Hand wash basin will also empty quicker