-= Please advise on new ship...

vas

Visit site
View attachment 84261

Ok its 4 wheels but it is a single steering position which is what you are talking about and she is bigger than your planning
This is on HMS Warrior, google her, perhaps you could just get a copy of the plans and scale the dimensions down a bit
I'm serious (sorry) but could someone explain WHY this setup with the 4 wheels? Cannot really be an old school power assisted thing could it?

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
I'm serious (sorry) but could someone explain WHY this setup with the 4 wheels? Cannot really be an old school power assisted thing could it?

In heavy weather more than one helmsman could be used - two to a wheel, one each side. The chain steering would no doubt be heavy.

As it was a Warship and having a wheel shot away was a distinct possibility - and quite common - before the advent of explosive shells, it would be considered prudent.

Malabarista

Visit site
My van has 5 wheels not including spare and that’s MUCH smaller. How about lots of wheels in different locations?

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
View attachment 84261

Ok its 4 wheels but it is a single steering position which is what you are talking about and she is bigger than your planning
This is on HMS Warrior, google her, perhaps you could just get a copy of the plans and scale the dimensions down a bit
Those are actually remote steering stations, you can unclip them and slide them to wherever most suits the helmsman, but the cables were pretty messy. Garmin are developing a wireless system based on it - their tech support people are really helpful and will talk you through it.

Visit site
Through the input given here and research I am considering abandoning fly bridge wheel altogether. Heaving only one stearing location in the main deck. Then using fly bridge roof for more solar panels... I think this will be more practical boat as fly deck stearing is a luxury. What do experienced sailors think of this?

Visit site
Question: Some ships need daily fresh water cleaning due to corrosive effect of sea water. Which material must my ship be made so does not need daily fresh water hosing?