Planning a Return to Liveaboard in about 3-4 years - Post Brexit Options?

JesterMinute

Visit site
Hi - myself and my wife are entering the last three to four years of employment before early retirement (55 and 58yo) . Our outline plan is to purchase a sailing yacht (10-11m) and live on it for at least 6 -8 months a year with the rest back in the UK. I will retire one year earlier than my wife and plan to use the time looking for a suitable yacht and sorting out a long term berth. At this point its worth mentioning that we owned an Oceanis400 previously in the eastern med and sailed around Cyprus, Turkey and the Greek Islands. Our base was Marmaris Yacht Marin for 2 years when our children were very small. We returned to the UK, sold our yacht, put the children into school, bought another house and got back into the rat race on the proviso that we would do it again when the children had left University.

With the above in mind we need to start planning what our options are so we can make the relevant preparations and budget accordingly. Ideally looking to purchase another yacht from April 2026 onwards (or slightly earlier or at the back end of 2026 in the off seasons)

Following Brexit and all the restrictions with the 90/180 day rules, we believe that our primary option in the med is Turkey again, we know the area and have experience of dealing with the Marinas in the Marmaris area. We should be able to get annual residency with a Marina contract. Our concern is that everyone else has that idea putting pressure on spaces and prices. We are certainly open to suggestions though and we would consider elsewhere outside the med. We are not really into long distance cruising though so somewhere we can explore with the yacht for a week or two before returning to the relative safety of our home marina.

My first here so please be gentle.

tkalfaoglu

Visit site
Sounds wonderful, but do a thorough shopping before you leave.. marina prices have gone up terribly in Turkey and there is a wild variation between marinas for pricing.. good luck!

JesterMinute

Visit site
Many thanks for the reply

Marina Fees will be out biggest regular annual expense. We have had indicative prices for next year of approx 6K Gbp for an 11.1m yacht on the Dalaman coast but some Marinas are playing things very close to their chest. One wont give me any idea of pricing at all until we turn up! Almost seems like they want to make it up as they go depending on how well off you look.

I don't necessarily want to limit ourselves to Turkey though, any other ideas or experiences out there?

stephen_h

Visit site
Many thanks for the reply

Marina Fees will be out biggest regular annual expense. We have had indicative prices for next year of approx 6K Gbp for an 11.1m yacht on the Dalaman coast but some Marinas are playing things very close to their chest. One wont give me any idea of pricing at all until we turn up! Almost seems like they want to make it up as they go depending on how well off you look.

I don't necessarily want to limit ourselves to Turkey though, any other ideas or experiences out there?
Have a look at the inflation rate in Turkey - I am sure that's why they won't give you a fixed price :confused:

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
You might also consider applying for residency in an EU country if you intend to stay 6-8 months a year. This gives you one EU country where the 90/180 rule doesn't apply so you can use it as a base to explore the rest under the 90/180 rule. Some countries also provide favourable tax regimes for retirees willing to move there but there can be conditions attached.

I have German friends who moved boats out of Turkey when Erdogan got in ... but it seems to be returning to normal now. Not sure it will be the Turkey you remember, but it is certainly becoming more interesting for Brits post Brexit.

Montenegro is also somewhere to consider and is becoming more popular, uses the Euro but isn't yet in the EU.

We will be doing the same in a few years but have acquired German citizenship due to Brexit - you don't have any Irish parents/grandparents do you? That would give you a "Get out of Schengen 90/180 free" card.

I've had a boat in Croatia for 12 years and have been through Croatias accession to the EU (VAT shenanigens on my boat) and Brexit (had to get German citizenship) ... where there is a will, there is a way.