Plagued with sea sickness

Rhylsailer99

Visit site
I can sail in rough seas no problem, but as soon as I put that anchor down and the boat starts rolling I'm finished.
Cooking anything down below is a no no, Last night was like hell on earth anchored outside Red Wharf Bay , no wind but never ending rollers coming in hitting the boat side on.
I tried the dinghy on the side and even put the chain through a front side cleat, so it went over the side,
I have read about a second anchor but I was not fit to mess about once I was done.
Sleep was the only temporary remedy and I still felt rough when I woke up.
On a positive not my 8 year old son really enjoyed the fishing and watching dad panting like a dog on a sunny beach leaning over the side of the boat.

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
The best answer to preventing rolling at anchor is a trimaran. Even cats can be rubbish in a side swell as their mass concentrations are far from the centre laterally and can suffer from a horrible resonant roll. Trimarans have most of their mass near their centre & huge damping at the periphery where it matters most from the buoyancy of the floats. Rolling is non existent.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I can sail in rough seas no problem, but as soon as I put that anchor down and the boat starts rolling I'm finished.
Cooking anything down below is a no no, Last night was like hell on earth anchored outside Red Wharf Bay , no wind but never ending rollers coming in hitting the boat side on.
I tried the dinghy on the side and even put the chain through a front side cleat, so it went over the side,
I have read about a second anchor but I was not fit to mess about once I was done.
On a positive not my 8 year old son really enjoyed the fishing and watching dad panting like a dog on a sunny beach leaning over the side of the boat.
Get off the boat & go for a row in the dinghy. But in the end the answer is to use marinas & park up in port. Others on the forum do not seem to understand why i have only anchored 5 times in 19 years. However, i feel your pain.
You could try the electronic watch. I does work for me when sailing some of the time but I am still sick for 25% of my sailing trips.

geem

Visit site
My wife is prone to seasickness. For the first 3 days of a long passage, I do all the cooking. She minimises here time down below. She recently started to take ant- histamines before a passage instead of conventional anti- seasickness tablets. This seems to have worked well for our last passage. Within 3 days she was down below with no motion sickness issues. Cooking under way and even baking cakes! Might be worth a try

veshengro

Visit site
If wind and swell are from the same direction but the boat is swinging about making her roll, you could try a storm jib or something similar rigged on the backstay, Drifter style, to help keep her head to wind and swell.

DownWest

Visit site
Quite a while back, I, and the other competant helm, decided to take the anti seasickness pills for a long night passage. They were called Vomex (!!) We both experienced hallucinations over the trip, but only shared the experiences a bit later.

johnalison

Visit site
A solution I once read in YM was to rig a bridle and attach the anchor line to that, adjusting it so that the boat faced the swell. I don’t remember the details, but I have never needed to put it to use.

onesea

Visit site
My mother was like this, sailing no problems, at anchor or mooring a different story. As the boat was kept on a swinging mooring we had quickest time from boarding to sailing in the club.

Something I try and maintain, just because.

peteK

Visit site
Get off the boat & go for a row in the dinghy. But in the end the answer is to use marinas & park up in port. Others on the forum do not seem to understand why i have only anchored 5 times in 19 years. However, i feel your pain.
You could try the electronic watch. I does work for me when sailing some of the time but I am still sick for 25% of my sailing trips.
I used to have a mooring at Red wharf bay so know what its like being anchored there in the wrong conditions,I just leave Bangor around 3 hours before high water so can go straight in.

mrangry

Visit site
Been sailing most of my life and have no issues on deck in any conditions, however as soon as I go below I feel instantly queasy in rolly conditions. I tried Stugeron capsules this year and can honestly say they worked allowing me to function below deck in rough conditions

Iliade

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.
www.airworks.co.uk
Don't anchor in a cross swell... Move.

If possible, dry out and the motion should become undetectable.

After many days rolling at anchor I find I can deal with it, but why bother?

Flopper stoppers do sound like a good idea, but they can be of only limited benefit if there is a swell coming into the anchorage.

Zing

Visit site
A solution I once read in YM was to rig a bridle and attach the anchor line to that, adjusting it so that the boat faced the swell. I don’t remember the details, but I have never needed to put it to use.
I often do this. It works well to reduce roll.

nevis768

Visit site
Quite a while back, I, and the other competant helm, decided to take the anti seasickness pills for a long night passage. They were called Vomex (!!) We both experienced hallucinations over the trip, but only shared the experiences a bit later.
I have also experienced hallucinations at night at anchor after some Islay Mist appeared from nowhere out of a crew member's bag. All on board were affected by it, apart from my wife, who, strangely, becomes very annoyed every time Islay Mist appears.

Last edited: