Petrol too expensive?

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
I received this (rather naive) e-mail this morning - thought I would pass it on...
------
Subject: FW: Cutting Petrol Prices

We are going to hit close to 89p a litre by the summer. Want petrol prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action. This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy petrol on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.

BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work. Please read it and join in! By now you're probably thinking petrol priced at about 77p a litre is super cheap. Me too! It is currently 79p - 83p for regular unleaded in some towns.

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP at 77p -80p, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace.... not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.

How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying petrol. But we CAN have an impact on petrol prices if we all act together to force a price war. Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one)(eh???), ESSO and BP. If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!!

Now, don't wimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!! I am sending this note to about thirty people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the Message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it... .. THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all.(and not buy at ESSO/BP) (If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am... so trust me on this one.)

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 69p a LITRE RANGE

Action:
It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your Petrol at Shell, Tesco, Sainsburys, Jet etc. i.e. boycott BP and Esso
--------

Personally, while all in favour of messing with the oil companies' heads, I'd rather see it done by people leaving their cars at home. Still...

Magic_Sailor

Visit site
Question

How do you know whether or not Sainsbury's petrol et al is in fact supplied by Esso, BP. I come up the Hythe bypass everyday and you see all manor of tankers leaving the ESSO refinery.

Magic

jimi

Visit site
Since most of the price of petrol is either excise duty or VAT, I'd think targetting the oil company is probably naive!!! Not only that but the oil price to the company is set globally .. and not only that an Esso station may well be selling BP petrol & vice versa .. so its a bit misguided .. what we really need to do is replace this tax & spend dictatorship!

Bergman

Visit site
It might work

I remember Shell were most unhappy when they were boycotted over that thing they wanted to sink.

I'll give it a try, the way SWMBO uses petrol they should go bust in a fortnight.

ESSO and BP not out of bounds to Bergman!

alanporter

Visit site
Your petrol in the UK is incredibly expensive. Here in Canada I am paying 31 UK pence a litre, and I think that is expensive. 46% of what I pay is tax, so the petrol actually costs about 16 pence a litre. You guys are really being ripped off by someone, so it is time you tried to do something about it. Good luck.

Alan Porter

lauradee

Visit site
go for it Guardian

with a bit of luck all the fools imho who read the guardian will put cooking oil in their diesels and mess them up good style and then they will have to PAY for their mistake!! and the government wont subsidise them!!!!!!
sweet
stu