Perspex Washboards - any recommendations?

Humblebee

Visit site
Hello all, I am thinking of replacing the wooden washboards on my elderly Westerly. There are plenty of firms on the internet who can cut and shape perspex sheet but I just wondered if anyone had used a particular supplier for the same work? If a firm has previously made washboards their experience might be relevant.
Thanks,
Chris

Refueler

Visit site
Don't know about UK - but over here Perspex has been ballistic in price due to Covid ... supplies were bought up by shops / businesses etc to screen their cash counters / desks etc.

It still hard to find and when you do - it really makes the wallet scream !

I always wanted to create Perspex washboards for my 25 ... not for all time use - but when on board to allow some light in etc. Thought about blue or smoky brown ...

My 38 has it and I really like it ... but its clear - so needs a draw screen to reduce light in.

Sorry I don't know any suppliers to suggest.

Rappey

Visit site
I used 4mm and put a wooden strip either side of the acrylic to take up the slack. Mine are only for when I'm on the boat to keep the rain or cold out.
Dont want to scrap my wooden ones as they are solid teak.

Refueler

Visit site
I used 4mm and put a wooden strip either side of the acrylic to take up the slack. Mine are only for when I'm on the boat to keep the rain or cold out.
Dont want to scrap my wooden ones as they are solid teak.

Bit of thread drift .... but another addition I think about - is fly screen material in a frame ... so you get air movement - but no mossies / bugs ...

Plum

Visit site
Hello all, I am thinking of replacing the wooden washboards on my elderly Westerly. There are plenty of firms on the internet who can cut and shape perspex sheet but I just wondered if anyone had used a particular supplier for the same work? If a firm has previously made washboards their experience might be relevant.
Thanks,
Chris
Very wise to go for the genuine Perspex brand that has guaranteed UV resistance rather than an unknown grade of acrylic that crazes after 5 years. I got mine (for hatches) from Simply Plastics and it comes with the correct Perspex branded protective film Cut to Size Acrylic (Perspex) Sheet, Polycarbonate, Tube & Rod - Simply Plastics

Laysula

www.stevehuntdrivinginstructor.co.uk
On my last boatI replaced the cracked perspex washboard with a polycarbonate one. I made it myself by buying a sheet of polycarbonate and cutting it out with a jigsaw. Polished the edges using a file and then wet and dry, making sure to keep the protective covering on until you have finished. If you want a two or three piece one then you can cut the joins with the jigsaw set at an angle.

pioneer

Visit site
I recently had 15mm perspex washboards fitted. Changed the configuration from 2 to 3 and had handles fitted on inside as well as a vent with fly screen. Generally happy with them and very glad I reduced their size and have the handles, as they are fairly heavy. If I was doing it again I would reduce the weight by reducing the thickness and build up the edges to fit the slot. I also use the original timber washboards in the winter.

dancrane

Visit site
Very wise to go for the genuine Perspex brand that has guaranteed UV resistance rather than an unknown grade of acrylic that crazes after 5 years.
I admit, I ask in complete ignorance - but isn't all Perspex/acrylic/plexiglass prone to eventual scratching/misting or UV discolouring?

I've thought about washboards and concluded that a pane of toughened glass set into a recess in the wood, would be as good a solution.

Plum

Visit site
I admit, I ask in complete ignorance - but isn't all Perspex/acrylic/plexiglass prone to eventual scratching/misting or UV discolouring?

I've thought about washboards and concluded that a pane of toughened glass set into a recess in the wood, would be as good a solution.
Eventually yes, the grade depends on 5 or 30 years before they look old

Humblebee

Visit site
One last question, the wooden washboards are 15mm thick but many plastic sheets come in thinner sizes. Would 5mm or 8mm thickness be strong enough?

rogerthebodger

Visit site
The issue with any perspex is that the thinner it is the easer it is to smash with a hammer.

The electrical cover panels must be made of polycarbonate and are tested by hitting it hard with a hammer but do tent to flex so could be pushed out if not fixed at the edges.

I have 4 different wash boards.

1) wood / ply
2) polycarbonate in a stainless frame bolted so it cannot be flexed put and cannot ne smashed out with a hammer,
3 stainless steel frame with 12mm dis bars to allow ventilation that can be fitted in a bag of mosie mesh to prevent mosies getting in at night
4) some light duty Perspex with a inner frame that pieces of black perspex can b slotted in for privacy

Sea Change

Visit site
One last question, the wooden washboards are 15mm thick but many plastic sheets come in thinner sizes. Would 5mm or 8mm thickness be strong enough?
Depends on whether you just want it to let extra light in whilst you're aboard, or if it's a proper replacement for your main washboards.
Ours is just a thin sheet, cut to shape. Or rattles about a bit because the slot is much wider, and it has no way of locking it. If we're leaving the boat, we put the wooden boards in and lock up.