Perspex Washboards - any recommendations?

geem

Visit site
One last question, the wooden washboards are 15mm thick but many plastic sheets come in thinner sizes. Would 5mm or 8mm thickness be strong enough?
In my experience, that is too thin. In cold weather, you can crack it easily if it's not supported. That what happened to ours. I made a new one in 10mm. Super strong.

Refueler

Visit site
One last question, the wooden washboards are 15mm thick but many plastic sheets come in thinner sizes. Would 5mm or 8mm thickness be strong enough?

Three ways to solve this ?

1. Search for max thickness as others have used 10mm +
or
2. Make more sections to the total area so that thinner sheet is smaller 'windows'
or
3. Double glaze > ie take two 5mm and put a double side foam tape around outer edge to join sheets together creating a double glazed 'window' ... I would 'drill' a small hole near bottom of the sheet that faces into cabin to allow the air gap to 'breathe'

All of the three of course set into 15mm wood frame to avoid rattling in the hatchway guides !

Aja

Visit site
Not sure where you are but a couple of comments:

If near Dumbarton phone Ian Thomson at QD Plastics. He will talk you through what is available. QD only deal in Perspex.

They can also laminate sheets together to make up your 15mm thickness, but beware depending on overall size of washboard they could end up weighing a ton.

A thinner thickness can be made up by glueing straps down either edge to fit.

Daydream believer

Visit site
PETG sheet Just a suggestion I have never used it myself but here is a description. You can do some research & ring them up for a chat & advice.
Easy to cut yourself & cheaper than acrylic. select a suitable thickness. Normally I would suggest 8 or 10mm but if only for use whilst you are aboard then 6mm might be OK in either acrylic or polycarbonate. If chosing between acrylic and polycarbonate I would pay the small extra & go for polycarbonate every time. I have made several things from it including the windows on both our sailing club tractors where yobs have smashed the glass ones.
The offcut can be heated & bent to make a chart plotter cover or a holder for the Ipad etc.

Humblebee

Visit site
PETG sheet Just a suggestion I have never used it myself but here is a description. You can do some research & ring them up for a chat & advice.
Easy to cut yourself & cheaper than acrylic. select a suitable thickness. Normally I would suggest 8 or 10mm but if only for use whilst you are aboard then 6mm might be OK in either acrylic or polycarbonate. If chosing between acrylic and polycarbonate I would pay the small extra & go for polycarbonate every time. I have made several things from it including the windows on both our sailing club tractors where yobs have smashed the glass ones.
The offcut can be heated & bent to make a chart plotter cover or a holder for the Ipad etc.
Thanks, I've had a look and they only do PETG in clear and I was thinking I might get something tinted. Won't rule them out though.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Thanks, I've had a look and they only do PETG in clear and I was thinking I might get something tinted. Won't rule them out though.
Get an orbital sander with a very fine abrasive paper in it & abrade the surface on one side. This will prevent others looking in--- but you looking out, of course.
Alternatively, some automotive products are made to spray on car windows. If you put 2- 3 or 4mm plastic sheets together with a film ( RC model supplies possibly) or a spray between, then you could have a tinted screen. You could cut the film with a pattern in it.

Neeves

Visit site
We used 10mm acrylic on our X-99 (and didn't have washboards on Josepheline). I would not worry about lack of security and people breaking into your yacht through 10mm acrylic - it will take a big hammer, make a lot of noise - anyone willing to break through 10mm acrylic is determined - not much will stop them. I would not worry about UV degradation, we had 10mm acrylic windows on Josepheline - basically they faced the sun, not vertical like a washboard - they lasted 20 years and then started to crack (but not craze).

Jonathan

Refueler

Visit site
We used 10mm acrylic on our X-99 (and didn't have washboards on Josepheline). I would not worry about lack of security and people breaking into your yacht through 10mm acrylic - it will take a big hammer, make a lot of noise - anyone willing to break through 10mm acrylic is determined - not much will stop them. I would not worry about UV degradation, we had 10mm acrylic windows on Josepheline - basically they faced the sun, not vertical like a washboard - they lasted 20 years and then started to crack (but not craze).

Jonathan

Getting into a boat is not rocket science for any determined thief.

My own Snapdragon was broken into via the forehatch .. then they kicked through the small cabin dividor door...

Another boat I wrote report for owners to send to Insurers - companionway was basically sawn out !! Owner had fitted bars internally to stop break-in via washboards.

Its a pet thing with me ... having seen the amount of damage resulting from having too strong setup - making it an expensive and difficult repair job after. I follow the idea of deter the casual thief by reasonable strength boards etc. - but not so strong that the serious thief has to destroy the boat !!

Sea Change

Visit site
Sometimes I wonder why we lock the boat. If we've both taken our mobiles with us then I don't there's anything inside the cabin worth as much as the £600 Lewmar deck hatch which somebody might destroy in an attempt to get in.

Neeves

Visit site
Sometimes I wonder why we lock the boat. If we've both taken our mobiles with us then I don't there's anything inside the cabin worth as much as the £600 Lewmar deck hatch which somebody might destroy in an attempt to get in.
Catch 22

If you leave it unlocked your insurance is probably invalid. If you lock it your claim will be for whatever they stole - and maybe they will see the value and steal .... your Lewmar hatch) (and your premiums will increase)

Jonathan

Minerva

Visit site
In the true spirit of PBO, my perspex washboard is made from an old sign that I found in the marina skip. It's about 5mm thick and was dead easy to cut with a circular saw.
In the right light you can still make out the rules for the Portimao swimming pool.
So no heavy petting allowed on your boat then? 😃