Paddle steamer heading down the Orwell.

ex-Gladys

Visit site
She's visiting and running various trips around the Thames Estuary. I'm aboard on 5th October... Ipswich up and back through Tower Bridge to Gravesend and coach back to Ipswich...

dunedin

Visit site
Be aware the Waverley is very tricky to steer, particularly berthing. No bow thrusters, the paddles no not operate independently, and she has very shallow draft with a very small rudder. So getting on and off piers needs speed and skilled handling of rope springs. Sometimes she has to leave going astern at high speed (look carefully at picture on timetable), and woe betide any small boat that gets in her way!

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Be aware the Waverley is very tricky to steer, particularly berthing. No bow thrusters, the paddles no not operate independently, and she has very shallow draft with a very small rudder. So getting on and off piers needs speed and skilled handling of rope springs. Sometimes she has to leave going astern at high speed (look carefully at picture on timetable), and woe betide any small boat that gets in her way!
Practically every pier she uses has been dinged by her at one time or another; she basically has no steerage until she's moving pretty fast, for the reasons given above.

It used to be a bit scary being on the pontoons in Rothesay Harbour when she was being turned in the harbour!

I understand that except for specialized vessels, paddle steamers never have the paddles operable separately, because it is possible for the torque of contra-rotating paddles to turn the vessel over. There's also a fairly obvious engineering reason - you'd need two separate steam engines, and if you watch engines like Waverley's operating, there simply wouldn't be space - the pistons operate directly on the shaft on which the paddles turn. As it's a compound engine, the pistons each operate at different steam pressures.

Something that's rarely mentioned is that she's exceptionally quiet, and it's easy to be taken by surprise as her colour scheme tends to blend with the shoreline! She's sneaked up on me a couple of times on the Clyde.

Leighb

Visit site
I had a trip on her some years ago, Tower Pier to Southend and back. When we were approaching Soutend pier we were going so fast that I thought she must be having a trial run to judge conditions , but we just Stopped incredibly quickly. Reversing the paddles has a fantastic braking effect with no prop effect. Was very impressive.

dunedin

Visit site
I had a trip on her some years ago, Tower Pier to Southend and back. When we were approaching Soutend pier we were going so fast that I thought she must be having a trial run to judge conditions , but we just Stopped incredibly quickly. Reversing the paddles has a fantastic braking effect with no prop effect. Was very impressive.
The issue comes when using piers not designed for the traditional paddle steamers. They tended to have plenty of space, often docking on a T (aka “hammerhead”) on end of a pier. Hence plenty of space to stop - or go round again.
Going onto piers intended / adapted for ro-ro ferries can end badly - literally as they end with hard concrete or metal, and no margin for error.

scottie

Visit site
Practically every pier she uses has been dinged by her at one time or another; she basically has no steerage until she's moving pretty fast, for the reasons given above.

It used to be a bit scary being on the pontoons in Rothesay Harbour when she was being turned in the harbour!

I understand that except for specialized vessels, paddle steamers never have the paddles operable separately, because it is possible for the torque of contra-rotating paddles to turn the vessel over. There's also a fairly obvious engineering reason - you'd need two separate steam engines, and if you watch engines like Waverley's operating, there simply wouldn't be space - the pistons operate directly on the shaft on which the paddles turn. As it's a compound engine, the pistons each operate at different steam pressures.

Something that's rarely mentioned is that she's exceptionally quiet, and it's easy to be taken by surprise as her colour scheme tends to blend with the shoreline! She's sneaked up on me a couple of times on the Clyde.
Paddles are extremely noisy on a calm day though

oldgit

Visit site
PS Wavelerly being assisted to turn by the "Nipashore" , just off Upnor on a visit to the Medway.
Seem to recall it was job to keep up with her once she got going again.

She is quite a big beast and on this occasion packed to the "gunnels" with passengers.

Last edited:

Bob@SYH

Visit site
We had an outing on the Waverley a few years back and always wondered myself why she didn't have independent paddles and assumed that it could be done with one engine and a clever arrangement of valves, but I guess not. Thanks for the info(y)😁