Orca attack

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
I can’t see what the RYA can do to change the behaviours of a few pods of Orcas. And it has no jurisdiction, or indeed likely any influence, over law makers in Spain or Portugal.

They do have influence as was seen around 15 years ago. Portuguese maritime police and navy were stopping foreign flagged boats and demanding safety equipment meet local standards. After RYA spoke to head offices, they agreed we don't have to comply until here >6 months. As the Orca problem seems to be increasing over a wide area from France down to Gib, it's time some deterrents such as pingers are allowed on vessels. They're widely used on nets and stop dolphins and whales from becoming entangled

Major_Clanger

Home is Suffolk, boat either Suffolk or Cornwall
Visit site
They do have influence as was seen around 15 years ago. Portuguese maritime police and navy were stopping foreign flagged boats and demanding safety equipment meet local standards. After RYA spoke to head offices, they agreed we don't have to comply until here >6 months. As the Orca problem seems to be increasing over a wide area from France down to Gib, it's time some deterrents such as pingers are allowed on vessels. They're widely used on nets and stop dolphins and whales from becoming entangled
Interesting idea about pingers. Are they currently not allowed on yachts then?

Major_Clanger

Visit site
I've got a boat to bring back to the UK from Faro, a trip I'd normally jump at. I must admit to a bit of trepidation about the situation though. Ultimately it's an 'act of God' a bit like lightning, but if I can avoid having the owner's boat's arse chewed it'd be good. Not sure how my insurance stands on that front - I'll have to contact them.

I've heard of people pouring bleach in the water but that seems a horrible thing to do.

Graham376

Visit site
I've got a boat to bring back to the UK from Faro, a trip I'd normally jump at. I must admit to a bit of trepidation about the situation though. Ultimately it's an 'act of God' a bit like lightning, but if I can avoid having the owner's boat's arse chewed it'd be good. Not sure how my insurance stands on that front - I'll have to contact them.

I've heard of people pouring bleach in the water but that seems a horrible thing to do.

Asking insurers can have negative effect. If it's not a policy exclusion, pointing out the risk can lead to it being excluded.

Major_Clanger

Visit site
Asking insurers can have negative effect. If it's not a policy exclusion, pointing out the risk can lead to it being excluded.
I'm with you all the way there, but I deliver boats for a living and would need to know I'm covered. It's a two-edged sword isn't it? It seems the only 'sensible' insurance company left is NFU Mutual, but they don't do boats sadly.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site

Yes it's quite a common ploy, if it isn't specified there can be an assumption that it is permitted. I used to employ the tactic often when working quarries against planning permissions much to the annoyance of the minerals planners. ?

Kelpie

Visit site
And another one.
Friends of ours just suffered rudder damage south of Barbate. Boat remained sailable but bits of rudder floating in the water.

RO'D

Visit site
It's not for UK waters! Why would I want anti Orca pingers in the UK?

I asked if they work and any supporting evidence. Do you have anything to support their effectiveness?
Thats a very high bar you are setting - it's very hard to prove a negative.
The evidence that they work is that you won't get attacked /approached, assuming you have it turned on all the time...
I would regard using a pinger as a prudent mitigation of risk and would be happy to use one. I know of experienced sailors who will be crossing Biscay and Iberian waters in the coming months - they have purchased pingers and will be using them.
Finally, one also needs to factor in the feelings of others sailing with you, particularly in a family situation where their may be big differences in levels of experience and confidence between skipper and spouse / crew. Anything that improves the mood and has a reasonable chance of working should be seriously considered, IMHO.

Major_Clanger

Visit site
Weather permitting I'll be leaving Faro and heading up the coast on 24th May so will report any encounters.

As an aside, I wonder whether anyone has thought of tagging the orcas involved? If nothing else it would enable us to see if it is the same group within the pod, and whether there's a pattern to their behaviour.

Last edited:

Graham376

Visit site
Weather permitting I'll be leaving Faro and heading up the coast on 24th May so will report any encounters.

As an aside, I wonder whether anyone has thought of tagging the orcas involved? If nothing else it would enable us to see if it is the same group within the pod, and whether there's a pattern to their behaviour.

You really want to get close enough to read a tag? Harpoon may better solve the problem ;)

Major_Clanger

Visit site
You really want to get close enough to read a tag? Harpoon may better solve the problem ;)
I was thinking something a bit more high-tech (and long distance) than a written tag! It's interesting though..... If they have drawn a parallel between humans and dwindling tuna stocks (which I think is quite plausible) then I wonder why it's yachts they bother rather than fishing boats?

newtothis

Visit site
I was thinking something a bit more high-tech (and long distance) than a written tag! It's interesting though..... If they have drawn a parallel between humans and dwindling tuna stocks (which I think is quite plausible) then I wonder why it's yachts they bother rather than fishing boats?
I suspect GRP has more of a umami flavour than the cold steel of a fishing boat rudder.