Orca attack

Goldie

Visit site
Unfortunately the linked article is beyond a paywall, the few available lines mention "explosion" it might be a sort of firecracker. I searched the local news with the inventor name but found no meaningful occurrences.

Could it be something as simple and cheap as a Thunderflash? Cheap and available on line.

nortada

Visit site
From tons of experience, thunderflashes do work under water.

Favourite method of survival fishing. Tie a small rock to a thunderflash, strike and lob into a river and collect stunned fish.

Totally illegal of course ? but when surviving‼️

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com

sarabande

Visit site
Any thoughts on fixing a strip of (? stainless) steel to both sides of the after end o f the rudder blade. Say 100mm wide. Passive defence against chewing.

I think I'll have a couple of lengths of anchor chain to dangle off the boat's quarters.

cherod

Visit site
Any thoughts on fixing a strip of (? stainless) steel to both sides of the after end o f the rudder blade. Say 100mm wide. Passive defence against chewing.

I think I'll have a couple of lengths of anchor chain to dangle off the boat's quarters.
I did suggest that over a year ago , ( the chain ) have not read any reports / comments on its use yet , seems fairly simple and worth a try

Goldie

Visit site
No - just floats on the surface, fizzes and dies (without a bang).

It DOES work in water - a friend tested and videoed it. Not exactly a depth charge but it definitely went off ok. Tape an old bolt to it to get it to sink. The idea came from an acquaintance who runs a dive charter boat and uses them for diver recall.

Goldie

Visit site

SaltIre

Visit site
Could you paste the relevant text please, for those of us who aren’t on Facebook?
I think this might be the post to which webcraft refers... It doesn't say there should be no sailing on the Iberian coastline between May & October, though. I read it as mid August to October, and May to mid August on the approach to the Straits of Gibraltar.
Richard-Hill.jpg

Major_Clanger

Home is Suffolk, boat either Suffolk or Cornwall
Visit site
I think this might be the post to which webcraft refers... It doesn't say there should be no sailing on the Iberian coastline between May & October, though. I read it as mid August to October, and May to mid August on the approach to the Straits of Gibraltar.
View attachment 135001
Why should it be incumbent upon the Spanish (or Portuguese) Government to find a solution? It's down to all of us. As the piece states, these are wild animals. Perhaps it's about time we learnt our place in the world and realise we are not the apex species when at sea and act accordingly.

Several possibilities present themselves as I see it; motoring astern and hanging chain or a kedge over the stern as suggested by others, or perhaps by making more of an offing (though obviously this wouldn't be possible in the SoG). If that lengthens the voyage then so-be-it.... We go sailing to sail, not just to arrive.

If someone is foolish/cruel enough to try to hurt an Orca then they shouldn't be surprised to find their hull being stove in rather than the rudder being bitten.