Orca attack

Major_Clanger

Home is Suffolk, boat either Suffolk or Cornwall
Visit site
The RYA do not want us to do that. The official advice its to adopt the 'dead duck' strategy and hope that the Orcas do not suffer any ill effects from polyester ingestion.
I don't hold with the advice to sit tight and hope they get bored before too much damage is done. We can be proactive surely without causing any ill-effects to the Orcas.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
I don't hold with the advice to sit tight and hope they get bored before too much damage is done. We can be proactive surely without causing any ill-effects to the Orcas.

Indeed. No orcas have been harmed by yachts motoring astern, neither will any be - the orcas are n ot bloody stupid.

And it seems it is fine for fishermen to use pingers to deprive the orcas of their natural prey, but if us poor yachties dare deploy them the Spanish government will throw us in jail - with the full support, it seems, of the RYA.

- W

SaltIre

Visit site
Indeed. No orcas have been harmed by yachts motoring astern, neither will any be - the orcas are n ot bloody stupid.

And it seems it is fine for fishermen to use pingers to deprive the orcas of their natural prey, but if us poor yachties dare deploy them the Spanish government will throw us in jail - with the full support, it seems, of the RYA.

- W
I believe it is the Foreign Office that responds to UK citizens being thrown in jail overseas - not the RYA.

cherod

Visit site
If the authorities actually cared about any of this, they would GPS tag the offending orcas and let us all know where there are, in real time. That way we can eliminate any interactions between boaters and animals, keeping both safe.
Due to the almost random interactions i would be interested in how anybody can seriously suggest that the authorities could tag any offending animals ( or am i missing any obvious humour in this post )

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Neither really, more prediction on my part. Some of the more extreme suggestions I've heard about could well engender a real attack, but that is supposition.

For all we know, there are boats out there who have 'fended off/interacted with orcas' and who have not sustained damage to their boat.
They would now be keeping quiet about their actions to avoid fines or legal action against them.

Travelling Westerly

Visit site
If the authorities actually cared about any of this, they would GPS tag the offending orcas and let us all know where there are, in real time. That way we can eliminate any interactions between boaters and animals, keeping both safe.
Even better would be some form of AIS so we can all see for ourselves, OK I'll get my coat.....

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Even better would be some form of AIS so we can all see for ourselves, OK I'll get my coat.....

This is a totally sensible idea. There are only a handful of orcas behaving like this. An AIS tag for each hooligan would be a cost-effective way of keeping everyone out of trouble and keeping the orca safe from any dodgy yachtie defence tactics. I doubt there are any yachts on that coast without an AIS receiver these days.

Far too sensible though, and lets face it, it would deprive people like Mr Hill of valuable virtue-signalling opportunities.

- W

doug748

Visit site
Is the RYA advice not that we shouldn't act unlawfully?

I think the RYA attitude is that they are the ones who will interpret the law and apportion blame as they think fit. In advance of any imagined scenario or following any real one.

When I did not renew my subscription, a girl rang up and asked why. I think she had heard it before and was off the line pretty sharpish.

I would not give the RYA a brass razoo..

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
I think the RYA attitude is that they are the ones who will interpret the law and apportion blame as they think fit. In advance of any imagined scenario or following any real one.

When I did not renew my subscription, a girl rang up and asked why. I think she had heard it before and was off the line pretty sharpish.

I would not give the RYA a brass razoo..

I remain a member only because it gives me a discount at some marinas, which at the moment is worth considerably more than the membership fee. It also provides a free ICC when renewal time comes around.

I no longer have any faith in it representing my interests in any shape or form. It has, like so many organisations, been to an extent taken over by entryists with narrow agendas. But while it saves me money I will remain a member.

- W

RobbieW

Visit site
A small 12V battery could probably be attached to an Orca without the animal being unduly bothered by it.

But heyho, there is always someone. What ab out a real-time reporting app for smartphones, like this one:

Whale Track - Projects - Near You - National Lottery Good Causes

- W
That app looks useful for generall info about the animals that may be about in an area but it wont track specific animals. In the rudder biting Orca it still seems to be specific individuals that indulge in the behaviour, so one needs to know where individuals are. About the only method I can think of would be to tag all the Orca in the approaches to the Med, then tie up individuals to attack site locations - then there is some data to work on.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
That app looks useful for generall info about the animals that may be about in an area but it wont track specific animals. In the rudder biting Orca it still seems to be specific individuals that indulge in the behaviour, so one needs to know where individuals are. About the only method I can think of would be to tag all the Orca in the approaches to the Med, then tie up individuals to attack site locations - then there is some data to work on.

I was suggesting that people would upload data to the app when their rudder was bitten. This would be much more immediate than the fairly useless so-called 'reporting group'

Something to do while waiting for a tow.

- W

cherod

Visit site
Still no even fanciful ideas about how anyone could actually tag an “ offending “ animal with ais or any other tracking device , prob just as well as prob only a matter of time before some well wishing , or worse , vigilante type would be out there hunting them down .

dunedin

Visit site
Still no even fanciful ideas about how anyone could actually tag an “ offending “ animal with ais or any other tracking device , prob just as well as prob only a matter of time before some well wishing , or worse , vigilante type would be out there hunting them down .
I am no expert, but I thought that GPS tracking devices have been attached to quite a lot of large sea animals - whales, dolphins and sharks - for claimed “research” and “conservation” purposes. Sometimes attached manually by brave swimmers, but I thought also via special darts/harpoons. Have used to learn more about their ocean migration paths. But I may be wrong.