Orca attack

KevinV

Visit site
But isn't it important for the health & vitality of our species that those dumb enough to wander around on foot near hungry lions or stupid enough to feel like taunting a Cape Buffalo are subject to natural selection and rapidly removed from the gene pool?
You could write the exact same thing about orcas stupid enough to put human lives at risk :unsure:

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Because you'd be making a whole series of unsupported assumptions. For example, do orcas have the capacity to know that they are putting anyone at risk? Are orcas actually aware that there are people on the boats? Could orcas associate any harm done to them with their actions?

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Because you'd be making a whole series of unsupported assumptions. For example, do orcas have the capacity to know that they are putting anyone at risk? Are orcas actually aware that there are people on the boats? Could orcas associate any harm done to them with their actions?

Of cause we are making assumptions as we do not know what the orcas' intentions are in attacking boat rudders as we have no way to communicate with orcas' or any other animals for that matter all interperations of animal behaviour are assumptions based on observation of their actions in th wild.

"Experts" have put forward some theorys but proof is in short supply

My view is to make my boat strong enough to prevent damage if attacked

Laser310

Visit site

on the one hand, they are "highly intelligent".., and on the other hand, they are not so intelligent...

which is it?

Bristolfashion

Visit site
on the one hand, they are "highly intelligent".., and on the other hand, they are not so intelligent...

which is it?
Oh, come on, you know that's ridiculous.

Orcas are thought to be highly intelligent for an animal. That is not to say that have the same cognitive abilities as humans and can appreciate consequences etc in the same way.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
I see, with some amusement, that webcraft has been reduced to impotent fury (and very rude name calling) in another place over my simple support of the current regime of orca protection and further research, coupled with appropriate advice from the sailing organisations. I am therefore inspired to maintain my interest in this thread.

Zing, who sadly thinks orcas are fish, was remarkably less effective in his attack, as accusing someone of being a vegetarian is particularly pathetic when a)the subject of the attack is not vegetarian and, b) is there anyone left who thinks that "vegetarian" is an insult?

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I see, with some amusement, that webcraft has been reduced to impotent fury (and very rude name calling) in another place over my simple support of the current regime of orca protection and further research, coupled with appropriate advice from the sailing organisations. I am therefore inspired to maintain my interest in this thread.

Zing, who sadly thinks orcas are fish, was remarkably less effective in his attack, as accusing someone of being a vegetarian is particularly pathetic when a)the subject of the attack is not vegetarian and, b) is there anyone left who thinks that "vegetarian" is an insult?
Sir, sir, please sir you forgot to mention me. 😁 Am I not deserving of your electrons?