Orca attack

madabouttheboat

Visit site
I've been searching for a humane solution. When we last lifted out, instead of antifouling the rudder I coated it with a thick layer of Marmite, unfortunately the results are so far inconclusive.
The trouble with that plan is that while some Orcas will hate it, others will love it, and we don't know which way the killer ones will go.

madabouttheboat

Visit site
Are you sure you've read it? Here's the table from the end of the report. It hardly supports any of the more extreme measures and confirms the endangered nature of this population. Obviously it discusses further research.
Screenshot 2024-09-18 at 11.40.05.png

Seriously!

Your boat and your life are in real danger and making a bit of noise on deck to deter the danger is supposed to be illegal.

What a load of tosh

madabouttheboat

Visit site
In the absence of any real solution to what appears to be a growing problem, is anyone actually plotting these attacks? I mean a map with all reported attacks shown might actually be useful, but I haven't seen one. It could show patterns, or indicate a route through the troubled area. I accept it also might not, but it could be a start.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
In the absence of any real solution to what appears to be a growing problem, is anyone actually plotting these attacks? I mean a map with all reported attacks shown might actually be useful, but I haven't seen one. It could show patterns, or indicate a route through the troubled area. I accept it also might not, but it could be a start.
Yes they do a search through the thread will give you a link to the site. It won't however give you a safe route as they follow the Tuna as they migrate and range far and wide with impressive speed 30mph has been suggested.

Thresher

Visit site
Orcas.pt

Laser310

Visit site
appropriate advice from the sailing organisations

the problem with all the advice from various "organizations", is nobody trusts them.

it is obvious that their sole interest is protecting Orca, and they don't care at all what happens to sailors.

So, sailors seeking to protect themselves are left to figure out for themselves what will work, and what won't.

generally, when nations have laws protecting endangered species, there are _explicit_ provisions recognizing the right of self defense.

I have not seen this mentioned in any of the advice.

bergie

lille-oe.de
That map seems a bit light on reports. Apparently there have been circa 500 and even one in the North sea up near Shetland.
The front page map is only last seven days or so. If you log in, there are also historical maps available. The orcas.pt Telegram group supplies the real-time updates for us sailing here in the orca alley.

This same data is also available in the Orcinus app and No Foreign Land, but with some delay. Here's how the current hot spots look like:
Screenshot_20240918_153257_Orcinus_Original.png
(Orcinus, so missing today's attack near Sines)

Last edited:

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Zimbabwe are planning to cull 200 elephants to feed locals people who are starving due to a local drought

Do you think that is correct and proper killing elephants to feed people
Er, this is a thread about Orcas! I've kept up with the topic since it reared its head. I don't know anything about Zimbabwe, the food situation there or, indeed, the elephant population in that part of Africa. Sometimes animals are culled and/or used for food.

To expand - if the locals are starving & there is no other way of feeding them & elephants are in plentiful supply, not endangered etc sure. Animals are used for food - philosophically, not really any difference between elephants, cows, deer etc.

If there are other ways of feeding these people and the elephant population is very small/in danger of extinction/an important genetic group, probably not & feed people using alternative means.

But I don't know the exact situation - you tell me the answer.

Last edited:

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Seriously!

Your boat and your life are in real danger and making a bit of noise on deck to deter the danger is supposed to be illegal.

What a load of tosh
Not my report, not even a report that I located and shared. Possibly the Spanish government knows more about their laws than you or I - or possibly they are misinterpreting them. Who knows.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
the problem with all the advice from various "organizations", is nobody trusts them.

it is obvious that their sole interest is protecting Orca, and they don't care at all what happens to sailors.

So, sailors seeking to protect themselves are left to figure out for themselves what will work, and what won't.

generally, when nations have laws protecting endangered species, there are _explicit_ provisions recognizing the right of self defense.

I have not seen this mentioned in any of the advice.
It's a little moot - if lives are in danger, wouldn't one just use any means at hand?

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Er, this is a thread about Orcas! I've kept up with the topic since it reared its head. I don't know anything about Zimbabwe, the food situation there or, indeed, the elephant population in that part of Africa. Sometimes animals are culled and/or used for food.

To expand - if the locals are starving & there is no other way of feeding them & elephants are in plentiful supply, not endangered etc sure. Animals are used for food - philosophically, not really any difference between elephants, cows, deer etc.

If there are other ways of feeding these people and the elephant population is very small/in danger of extinction/an important genetic group, probably not & feed people using alternative means.

But I don't know the exact situation - you tell me the answer.

Elephants are in danger in most of Africa as there are very few left due to poaching for their tusks.

Rhino is also endangering due to poaching for their horns used in the far east.

How many Orca' are left in the world I expect a lot more than Elephants and rhino's

doug748

Visit site
the problem with all the advice from various "organizations", is nobody trusts them.........

So, sailors seeking to protect themselves are left to figure out for themselves what will work, and what won't.........

Yes indeed.
And the more people see the various committees , quangos, politicians, journalists and politically motivated do good'ers in action, the more the little belief we had ebbs away.

Porthandbuoy

www.backbearing.com
Elephants are in danger in most of Africa as there are very few left due to poaching for their tusks.

Rhino is also endangering due to poaching for their horns used in the far east.

How many Orca' are left in the world I expect a lot more than Elephants and rhino's

I suspect shipping culled Orca to Zimbabwe would be prohibitively expensive.