Orca attack

greeny

Visit site
Many people break all sorts of laws and get away with it - doesn't make it good or right.
I agree. But the authorities know whats going on and choose to turn a blind eye. I'm just pointing out that the risk of prosecution for any of these "offences" is fairly low unless you're stupid and go round shouting about it.
It's also pretty easy to read the whole thing and summarise it. You seem to be looking for or support for an aggressive, anti-orca stance that simply isn't there in that report.

The only two deterrent actions shown as "legal" in the table from the report that I reproduced are the fitting of small protuberances to the rudder & sand. Otherwise it's move away & research.

Perhaps you would care to highlight and/or summarise elements that support your views.
1. No.
2. As I said, 20 cms.
3. No. I think you misinterpret my views. I do not want to hurt orcas. I just don't want them damaging my boat and putting my crew and myself at risk. I will follow the official recommendations but if they fail then I will try other things. I'm sure that is the position of most sailors down here. What I support is a peaceful resolution to the situation where neither sailors nor orcas are at risk.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
It's also pretty easy to read the whole thing and summarise it. You seem to be looking for or support for an aggressive, anti-orca stance that simply isn't there in that report.

The only two deterrent actions shown as "legal" in the table from the report that I reproduced are the fitting of small protuberances to the rudder & sand. Otherwise it's move away & research.

Perhaps you would care to highlight and/or summarise elements that support your views.
In this you are correct the report is nothing more than a statement of known position and preference of the Orca huggers, they do however overemphasise the illegality of some measures imo of course since they only become illegal once they cause harm and it is verified.

greeny

Visit site
As the report you provided indicates, Orcas may fail to associate the deterrent methods with their activities. Prolonged use of certain methods may actually start to attract orcas.

I don't know what the defences are to prosecution under the various statutes protecting orcas in the various jurisdictions are, but using an unproven, aggressive measure against current advice doesn't seem like a great basis for a defence.

Without decent research, people might simply make matters worse - on one hand, lots of noise & flashes may attract orcas and be seen, by them, as all part of the fun. Alternatively, if a pod of orcas genuinely felt under attack, they might swiftly act to remove the threat. We simply don't know and acting in ignorance is unlikely to improve things.
Exactly why the work being carried out by this body (albeit slowly) Is important to us the sailors and to the orcas. If no resolution is found we can only expect sailors to become more active in their protection measures. Then we get into even more dangerous territory.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
I agree. But the authorities know whats going on and choose to turn a blind eye. I'm just pointing out that the risk of prosecution for any of these "offences" is fairly low unless you're stupid and go round shouting about it.
I assume that the various wildlife/conservation organisations will get involved in due course should the threat to the orcas become serious.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I assume that the various wildlife/conservation organisations will get involved in due course should the threat to the orcas become serious.
Fortunately unless they had a 24/7/365 presence that covered the entire area they would be a toothless voice against most and certainly what seems to be the most effective deterrent and that is small explosives weighted to detonate under water where both the sound and pressure wave seem to be very effective in deterring the Orca.

greeny

Visit site
I think you'll find they already know. (ref. the blades on the rudder and the flares cases) They're going for the easiest target in court, the sailor. But as of yet no prosecution.

Zing

Visit site
This is a game changer. Where can you buy Orca steaks?

If demand rises sufficiently, so will the price/profits. Job done.

China? Sometimes we over worry about preserving species. Luckily Pandas only eat bamboo or you can be sure they’d be a delicacy.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
If I go on a foot safari in lion country (and I can) and I get charges by a lion I can shoot it to deter or to kill it as I am protecting my life and the life of others.

try approaching a cape buffalo and see who comes out worse.

If I consider an orca is threating my life I shurly have the right to protect my life and those on my boat.

My prefered way to protect myself is to make my boat such that and orca attack would not damage my boat without damaging the orca.

That should what we should do is to make rudders orca proof

Problem solved

billskip

Visit site
We have been searching the universe for other signs of life, if we find them and they come here to earth we will probably kill them....

Bristolfashion

Visit site
If I go on a foot safari in lion country (and I can) and I get charges by a lion I can shoot it to deter or to kill it as I am protecting my life and the life of others.

try approaching a cape buffalo and see who comes out worse.
But isn't it important for the health & vitality of our species that those dumb enough to wander around on foot near hungry lions or stupid enough to feel like taunting a Cape Buffalo are subject to natural selection and rapidly removed from the gene pool?