Orca attack

capnsensible

Visit site
I wasn't aware that the Authorities carry out routine funnel web spider spraying in Sydney. Do they?

I haven't written any angry letters to any "Authorities" about anything.

Although, as seems usual with your analogies, it's a pretty poor one, as research (and education) have solved the problem,

"Since the antivenom became available in 1981, there have been no recorded fatalities from Sydney funnel-web spider bites."
We stayed in a Sydney suburb with my wife's twin nieces. They told us what goes on . Not heresay. Fact. Are you gonna start a 'poor little spider' support group?

Bristolfashion

Visit site
We stayed in a Sydney suburb with my wife's twin nieces. They told us what goes on . Not heresay. Fact. Are you gonna start a 'poor little spider' support group?
Sorry to put trump you, but my wife worked for one of these authorities (in a very senior and "connected" role), there is no wholesale spraying by authorities against funnel web spiders. Obviously, private citizens and organisations may carry out spraying - funnel web spiders are not protected in Australia.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
People with boats there or passing through clearly do. But hey, you're alright Jack.
You are becoming obsessively fond of this "I'm all right" Jack thing. We are all entitled to our opinions - I've been very close to these animals a good few times and have an opinion on how we should manage our interactions - if you don't like it, hit the ignore button and you need never be exposed to an opposing view again.

We pretty much all have things we would like to do, but are curtailed by one restriction or another - but I AM alright, because I enjoy life within those restrictions imposed by society. If I don't like 'em, I campaign and/or get involved financially but don't overly stress about it.

You do know that it's utterly ridiculous to suggest that any individual should be involved in organisations & campaigns to protect every single bit of nature that is under threat? On the other hand, you want to kill some orcas - are you actively campaigning for this to happen? Are you funding a suitable orca killing boat?

Anyway, soon we'll be walking 232 miles, source to sea, to highlight the problem of water quality and then attending the protest match on the same subject, so we do really like to put our blisters (as well as our money) where our mouth is.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Well, we have spent a number of years full time volunteering for organisations that protect huge areas of Australia, as well as supporting them substantially (for us) financially, so you could say we're helping to protect a lot of spiders!

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Well, we have spent a number of years full time volunteering for organisations that protect huge areas of Australia, as well as supporting them substantially (for us) financially, so you could say we're helping to protect a lot of spiders!
Most if not all the wildlife and the natives were well capable of looking after themselves or at least the ones I encountered were 😁 They didn't need any support.:eek:

capnsensible

Visit site
Good one. How did that go with open cast mining. Oh, and Ockers?

Must have got rid of the whales before you arrived though. :sneaky:

capnsensible

Visit site
Sorry to put trump you, but my wife worked for one of these authorities (in a very senior and "connected" role), there is no wholesale spraying by authorities against funnel web spiders. Obviously, private citizens and organisations may carry out spraying - funnel web spiders are not protected in Australia.
Well there was when we were actually there....

capnsensible

Visit site
You are becoming obsessively fond of this "I'm all right" Jack thing. We are all entitled to our opinions - I've been very close to these animals a good few times and have an opinion on how we should manage our interactions - if you don't like it, hit the ignore button and you need never be exposed to an opposing view again.

We pretty much all have things we would like to do, but are curtailed by one restriction or another - but I AM alright, because I enjoy life within those restrictions imposed by society. If I don't like 'em, I campaign and/or get involved financially but don't overly stress about it.

You do know that it's utterly ridiculous to suggest that any individual should be involved in organisations & campaigns to protect every single bit of nature that is under threat? On the other hand, you want to kill some orcas - are you actively campaigning for this to happen? Are you funding a suitable orca killing boat?

Anyway, soon we'll be walking 232 miles, source to sea, to highlight the problem of water quality and then attending the protest match on the same subject, so we do really like to put our blisters (as well as our money) where our mouth is.
Sorry. Its not obssive. Its a fact. If you really want to get in a peeing contest, I've been at sea with whales around us in , well, all sorts of places at sea around the North Atlantic. On yachts. So I take my duty of care to my crew extremely seriously. Perhaps you don't. There is a pack of rogue animals threatening humans. You still don't seem to get that. I'm sorry for you...
But hey....you're alright Jack, John, Bob, Tommy or whatever. Its not affecting you directly. So why do you actually, really care ? Wind up or counter factual argumenter? Who knows....

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Good one. How did that go with open cast mining. Oh, and Ockers?

Must have got rid of the whales before you arrived though. :sneaky:
Do you think that a single person or organisation can achieve huge successes in environmental protection? If so, you're a few numbats short of a quokka!

I'm the teeniest, tiniest, most insignificant cog in a network of people and organisations that try to protect the environment a bit. At least we're out there trying.

Some of the nicest, most practical conservationists are "ockers" - the RAG (rough as guts) guys at one reserve - all retired tradie types, did absolutely brilliant work out in the semi desert.

Whales are protected in Australia - I've seen orcas there too.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Well there was when we were actually there....
I'm an Australian citizen mate. I lived, worked & volunteered there for 20 years & will be going back.

Still, it's the opinion of a pom that popped in for 10 minutes that counts 😀, - if you think I should stay out of the orca arguement 'cos I'm not local, you REALLY should pull your head in on matters Aussie.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Sorry. Its not obssive. Its a fact. If you really want to get in a peeing contest, I've been at sea with whales around us in , well, all sorts of places at sea around the North Atlantic. On yachts. So I take my duty of care to my crew extremely seriously. Perhaps you don't. There is a pack of rogue animals threatening humans. You still don't seem to get that. I'm sorry for you...
But hey....you're alright Jack, John, Bob, Tommy or whatever. Its not affecting you directly. So why do you actually, really care ? Wind up or counter factual argumenter? Who knows....
You seem to be in a tiny minority, the sailing organisations all agree with me, the orcas are legally protected. I'm happy - you seem to be the one peeing into the wind!

The destruction of orcas, like so much destruction of nature, does affect me deeply & directly. I'm sorry for you, only seeing your own, immediate gratification.

At least I can rest assured that, fortunately, you're not actually doing anything to promote your cause.

And on the subject of safe sailing, do your risk assessment and decide if it's safe for you and your crew to sail - an almost infinitesimal proportion of sailing accidents, deaths & injuries even in the broad area where these orcas live are caused by orca attack - there are lots of other hazards out there.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
As reported in the current PBO, the CA does not support the sharp protrusions on rudders. Also reported, Sea Shepherd France advises that it is preparing a legal complaint on the subject.
The latest account of an orca attack indicated that an orca split the hull with a dead on attack to the side. You might make things even worse with those spiky things on the rudder designed to injure the orcas.

Mister E

Visit site
Just to be absolutely clear this problem has been known about for some time.
So if you really cared about the crew you would not be there .

It is your and their personal choice nobody is forcing you to sail in that area.
If you have a problem with that the answer is very simple. Move.

capnsensible

Visit site
I'm an Australian citizen mate. I lived, worked & volunteered there for 20 years & will be going back.

Still, it's the opinion of a pom that popped in for 10 minutes that counts 😀, - if you think I should stay out of the orca arguement 'cos I'm not local, you REALLY should pull your head in on matters Aussie.
Now that explains a lot.

My wife's nieces are around 45. Their mum is a dink. Their stepdad is an ex Sydney traffic cop. You were there 20 years? Ho ho.

So how much time have you spent in the Gib Straits, jacko?

capnsensible

Visit site
Just to be absolutely clear this problem has been known about for some time.
So if you really cared about the crew you would not be there .

It is your and their personal choice nobody is forcing you to sail in that area.
If you have a problem with that the answer is very simple. Move.
I and others just like me have been sailing that area for decades. Wild rogue animals have rocked up threatening humans. Burst them.

But hey, you're OK.....

Bristolfashion

Visit site
I and others just like me have been sailing that area for decades. Wild rogue animals have rocked up threatening humans. Burst them.

But hey, you're OK.....
Glad you're in the minority then!

And "burst them" is a horrible image that implies killing without any thought to the animal's suffering.

As the RYA guidance says,

"Orcas are a protected species under International, EU, Spanish and Portuguese law and as such it is illegal to take any action which may harm or disturb these marine mammals."
Wowser, arguing with yourself!! :D :D
How's that an argument? It was reported as a fact recently - it wouldn't be astonishing if injuries from the rudder area provoked them into other behaviour.

Still doing nothing to actually promote your position I assume?

Mister E

Visit site
I am fine but unfortunately you are barking up the wrong tree if you think that the authorities will do anything other than ban yachts if you start hurting the orcas.
Hence my previous post.