Orca attack

Cheery

Visit site
Omg , do you actually believe that or are you taking the p**s , for gods sake man dont you realise there are many many people who can not even afford the bus fare to the airport let alone a ticket ?? How pray tell do they benefit from the colonisation , subjugation and he exploitation of other peoples ???
Yes I do. Take the poorest from this country and put them in the poorest areas of India or China and ask them where they would rather be.

WindyWindyWindy

Visit site
I want ro go paddling in the everglades, will someone please kill the crocodile 🐊

Then I want to wander around Africa, will someone kill all the dangerous animals please.....
Florida authorities killed an alligator that was seen with human remains in its mouth

Similarly mountain lions:-
https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/article261574097.html

Man eating lions appear to be very rare, but this incident in Africa resulted in the lion being killed.
Mfuwe man-eating lion - Wikipedia

So yes, it's normal for even endangered animals to be killed if they start attacking people.

In the case of these orcas though I think it would be better to train them to avoid boats.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Florida authorities killed an alligator that was seen with human remains in its mouth

Similarly mountain lions:-
https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/article261574097.html

Man eating lions appear to be very rare, but this incident in Africa resulted in the lion being killed.
Mfuwe man-eating lion - Wikipedia

So yes, it's normal for even endangered animals to be killed if they start attacking people.

In the case of these orcas though I think it would be better to train them to avoid boats.
Looking at the latest CA research, it's starting to seem that one can lower the risk of interactions by careful choice of route and time.

capnsensible

Visit site
Just to clarify - it was an error in the rescue that caused the injury (the chaps hand was caught by the tow rope), the injury was not directly caused by the orcas.

Isn't the location of this attack around 650nm from the straits? I think I'm closer on the south Coast (I'm about 530nm from the attack site). Not that I'm feeling nervous here, but your geography does seem to have gone a bit skew whiff.

Is your statement "killer rogue animals" hyperbole? Or click bait!
Perhaps you aren't quite getting one incident in the North West of Spain and a second one in the Strais of Gibraltar. :rolleyes:

capnsensible

Visit site
Looking at the latest CA research, it's starting to seem that one can lower the risk of interactions by careful choice of route and time.
Well I've been advocating that for ages on here based on my experiences of nearly 20 something years altogether sailing in and around the Straits. Plus assisting with an annually published pilot.

However, as the problems get worse and worse, it's time to burst a few before people who are perfectly entitled to be at sea in the area get killed.

Once again if they were attacking boats outside your harbour preventing you from using your boat, you would be all red faced and angry. Perhaps reflect on the howls of anguish when people were prevented using their boats during covid. What a bunch of cry babies, that was also to prevent harm.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Do you write angry letters to the Authorities in the Sydney suburbs who spray pesticides to eradicate funnel Web spiders whose bites kill people?
I wasn't aware that the Authorities carry out routine funnel web spider spraying in Sydney. Do they?

I haven't written any angry letters to any "Authorities" about anything.

Although, as seems usual with your analogies, it's a pretty poor one, as research (and education) have solved the problem,

"Since the antivenom became available in 1981, there have been no recorded fatalities from Sydney funnel-web spider bites."

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Once again if they were attacking boats outside your harbour preventing you from using your boat, you would be all red faced and angry. Perhaps reflect on the howls of anguish when people were prevented using their boats during covid. What a bunch of cry babies, that was also to prevent harm.
Er, I accepted the COVID restrictions and got on with life - I don't tend to "red faced and angry".

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I wasn't aware that the Authorities carry out routine funnel web spider spraying in Sydney. Do they?

I haven't written any angry letters to any "Authorities" about anything.

Although, as seems usual with you analogies, it's a pretty poor one, as research (and education) have solved the problem,

"Since the antivenom became available in 1981, there have been no recorded fatalities from Sydney funnel-web spider bites."
Although it's 26 years ago the only thing I was aware of the authorities spraying was airplane passengers prior to landing, I understand they have stopped it now though. I could have done with them spraying my garage which was full of Red Back spiders:eek: Had to keep my golf clubs in the house.
My neighbour in 97 spent several days in hospital after being bitten on the forearm by a Funnel Web spider, I lived in Pennant Hills.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Although it's 26 years ago the only thing I was aware of the authorities spraying was airplane passengers prior to landing, I understand they have stopped it now though. I could have done with them spraying my garage which was full of Red Back spiders:eek: Had to keep my golf clubs in the house.
My neighbour in 97 spent several days in hospital after being bitten on the forearm by a Funnel Web spider, I lived in Pennant Hills.
Some of those spiders are mean beasties, but I can't see authorities spraying a whole huge city over it - especially with a death rate of zero. Perhaps the Captain knows otherwise?

Red backs are overrated in the death department - lazy things - we had 'em in the corner of the bedroom in one place, they never moved.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Some of those spiders are mean beasties, but I can't see authorities spraying a whole huge city over it - especially with a death rate of zero. Perhaps the Captain knows otherwise?

Red backs are overrated in the death department - lazy things - we had 'em in the corner of the bedroom in one place, they never moved.
My phobia of snakes didn't help especially when I had a very close encounter with a large Eastern Brown in the Blue Mountains when walking back up to Katoomba from the Valley floor.