OOD duty - no fun!

roblpm

Visit site
I am new to racing one and a bit seasons done, maybe 20 races total.

Club is great and has active racing etc.

However last week I went down only to find that we couldn't race and was collared to help the OOD on race duty. Third time this year, one practice, one where our boat was the ood and this. I have only raced about 6 times this year.

Anyway I get down tonight to be approached by 3 separate people to tell me there is a big upset as it appears that some of the results were wrong last week.

So I get hauled in after the race this evening for a formal enquiry in to what went wrong. Transpires that probably my dodgy handwriting and a mistaken time caused a problem so it has been amended.

Seems to me that I will never volunteer to help OOD again as getting lynched for making a mistake is not part of why I go sailing. Fine to adjust, but the tone of the enquiry should be along cheerful lines and not so formal.

People seem to complain about the race officers all the time. I would never complain as it is people doing it once a year and it is hardly the olympics!?!

Maybe I have got the wrong end of the stick but this sort of thing is incredibly off putting for me as a semi outsider. I half think I cant be bothered. Having said that most people in the club are extremely nice and aren't that precious.

What do you think - thin skin? Right? Its serious? Its not serious?

Cheers

Rob

lpdsn

Visit site
It's the easiest thing in the world to start blaming the committee, and mistakes do happen (finishing a windward leeward we once radioed up to ask them if they wanted us to go round again whilst they finished their coffee - the race was abandoned, which was a shame as we were well in front and suffered gear failure on the re-run), but owners have to be mature enough to realise volunteers are rare and shouldn't be discouraged. They must've been short to throw you in the deep end your first time.

Don't take it personally. If they ask again tell them why you're not keen. When they run out of volunteers and racing has to be cancelled, the agressive owners might get the message.

roblpm

Visit site
It's the easiest thing in the world to start blaming the committee, and mistakes do happen (finishing a windward leeward we once radioed up to ask them if they wanted us to go round again whilst they finished their coffee - the race was abandoned, which was a shame as we were well in front and suffered gear failure on the re-run), but owners have to be mature enough to realise volunteers are rare and shouldn't be discouraged. They must've been short to throw you in the deep end your first time.

Don't take it personally. If they ask again tell them why you're not keen. When they run out of volunteers and racing has to be cancelled, the agressive owners might get the message.

Well to give them their due the first time I did it an experienced race officer came out with us. We had complaints that we set too long a course that time!

Just seems a weird system. Expect professional levels of umpiring from people who are doing it once a year and then moan about it!!

lpdsn

Visit site
Well to give them their due the first time I did it an experienced race officer came out with us. We had complaints that we set too long a course that time!

Just seems a weird system. Expect professional levels of umpiring from people who are doing it once a year and then moan about it!!

You'll never stop the moaning, but they shouldn't be having ago at you.

Tidewaiter2

Turning Left this season?-Nach Friesians?
Visit site
Bunch of sad toe rags; no race officer and safety crews = no race. I have encountered this sort of behaviour in land locked clubs before- the whingers are usually the ones who have to be pressed into their minimum duties each years. \
They are so obsessed, dear Thor, over trivia. You rarely see them in a real offshore situation- 0.5 nm off HISC gives them pause= you cannot BS the sea!
Tell the Commodore that you are no longer prepared to serve in that role; give example of the BS recd.
If C has cojones, perhaps they may get a grip, if not, get a more human club nearer the real world= the sea;)

Pasarell

Visit site
I was primarily a racing sailor for more than 40 years. Mainly small multihulls but also some bigger boat stuff too. There are always people who think it is OK to moan to/about the race officer, usually the ones who are permanent middle fleet people. Unfortunately it comes with the territory. Most clubs operate on a duty system with everyone taking their turn but usually the PRO is pretty experienced and can handle the whingers. You just have to learn to take complaints in your stride while trying to be better next time as you will never please everyone every time. Just remember that without you they would have no racing at all and their complains would be much more then!
Just get on and enjoy your own racing and treat officiating as a challenge and learning experience. You can learn a lot about mistakes others make from the vantage point
I came ashore after winning a race 9 years ago and just decided I'd finished the last one. Sold the boat and bought a pure cruiser which I've been very happy on ever since. Still watch the racing with enjoyment and still occasionally act as PRO but no desire to join in again.

Seajet

Visit site
Rob,

you are in no way at fault, as others say the racers ought to be jolly grateful.

When a teenager I used to race in a winter dinghy series at another club annually, but I gave up as I sail for fun not as some sort of training as a stroppy lawyer type !

Since then I have had fast racing dinghies and crewed those racing - inspired boats belonging to chums, but we just sail fast where we want to go, not round in circles.

I know a club which still tries to collar the cruiser sailors to be race officers or safety crew so the self-important dinghy racers don't have to support their own activities, my answer would be ' no thanks, my sailing time is precious too, I'll happily work on the clubhouse & grounds etc especially in winter '.

Corribee Boy

Visit site
I recently left a club that sounds similar to yours - as a non-racer I avoided all but rescue helm duties, but still suffered the aggressive attitude of racers who thought I was there as their servant. I cited the reason for leaving as 'the smell of testosterone', and don't regret my decision.

flaming

Visit site
To expect perfect race officering on a weeknight casual racing, when it's just done by regular racers taking turns is not really realistic, and any mistakes should (in my opinion) be settled with a quick question and preferably whilst handing the person who gave up their racing to do it a drink.

It is, I think, a little different when it's a regatta that attracts boats from far and wide, brings in qualified race officers, styles itself as a "championship" and charges not insignificant sums to enter, then publishes results that bear absolutely no relation to the racing.

Then I think you have the right to be miffed. Or putting it another way. I think I had the right to be miffed!

lw395

Visit site

However last week I went down only to find that we couldn't race and was collared to help the OOD on race duty. Third time this year, one practice, one where our boat was the ood and this. I have only raced about 6 times this year.

Anyway I get down tonight to be approached by 3 separate people to tell me there is a big upset as it appears that some of the results were wrong last week.

So I get hauled in after the race this evening for a formal enquiry in to what went wrong. Transpires that probably my dodgy handwriting and a mistaken time caused a problem so it has been amended.

Seems to me that I will never volunteer to help OOD again as getting lynched for making a mistake is not part of why I go sailing. Fine to adjust, but the tone of the enquiry should be along cheerful lines and not so formal.

People seem to complain about the race officers all the time. I would never complain as it is people doing it once a year and it is hardly the olympics!?!

Maybe I have got the wrong end of the stick but this sort of thing is incredibly off putting for me as a semi outsider. I half think I cant be bothered. Having said that most people in the club are extremely nice and aren't that precious.

Cheers

Rob
It's unfortunate mistakes were made.
They should have been put right in a fair and reasonable way, which should not involve upsetting everyone.
Usually most of the competitors know what a fair outcome is.

If your club relies on volunteer race officers, it is important you do the best job you can.
I see it as not really 'volunteering' but more keeping the side of the bargain where you put something back.
It's part of the deal you sign up for when you join the club and go yachting for cheaper than sunsail.
At our club, racing is its foundation, it is as important that the race management is basically sound as that the roof does not leak over the bar. We are only a small club, mostly local families, but it's mostly the racing people turn up for.

Taking the attitude that 'it's hardly the Olympics' too far can be a problem. If a club does not run decent racing, it will lose competitors. I have been a member of a few clubs (due to moving around for work etc) good people to race against are far more valuable than uppity 'volunteers'. I have seen a few instances of races ruined by race officers who don't really care, no big surprise when the turnout drops next week.

But, when mistakes get made, proper procedure should be followed with good humour on all sides. It's all in the rules, follow the book, no need for anyone to get upset. But any strong feelings about a particular race normally subside after a pint anyway.

Maybe your cub needs to look at running a Race Officer training course?
Or making sure ROs have been properly brung up to speed by experienced people, have enough support etc?
Hope that's seen as helpful!

sarabande

Visit site
It is very irresponsible of the club to turn you into OOD, without giving you training and putting a more experienced person beside you for the first time or two.

If something had gone wrong on the water in a serious way, you could have been overwhelmed and unaware of what to do and how to do it, and that might lead to damage, injury or worse.

The club should do a proper risk assessment of the OOD function, and instigate proper, recorded training sessions, and have available sets of tasks lists, SOPS, etc, to cover all the challenges likely to face the OOD. This is basic safety management and if these procedures are not in place the club is liable to be negligent in case of an accident.

You should raise the matter with the main committee with a list of what needs to be done.

scottie

Visit site
To expect perfect race officering on a weeknight casual racing, when it's just done by regular racers taking turns is not really realistic, and any mistakes should (in my opinion) be settled with a quick question and preferably whilst handing the person who gave up their racing to do it a drink.

It is, I think, a little different when it's a regatta that attracts boats from far and wide, brings in qualified race officers, styles itself as a "championship" and charges not insignificant sums to enter, then publishes results that bear absolutely no relation to the racing.

Then I think you have the right to be miffed. Or putting it another way. I think I had the right to be miffed!

I think you have summed it up and having just done start boat it is surprising how demanding it feels with the requirement to get it right for each start when you only do it once a year and then add in setting a course etc

roblpm

Visit site
Well I agree totally with flaming.

I can also see iw395s point. But I don't think race officer training is the answer if then people go on to only do it once a year. The organisation and documentation is pretty good.

Even when i was in under 10s football the person refereeing was doing it week in week out and was expected to have a certain level of professionalism.

I don't get why people who are going out and buying 150k boats (not me i hasten to add!) then get any old people to run the races if they expect a perfect result every time.

2 weeks ago we would have started perfectly apart from whoever the race officer was only ran a four minute start sequence. Did I run in and complain/email/moan at them?! Of course not, its a bit of fun.

And to the idea that you need people to race against, thats true but this sort of thing must put off more people than it encourages?! The marina is full of boats that could be out racing. I think they see the rules, ood etc as a barrier.

Maybe i should start another club for people who want a bit of fun!

lw395

Visit site
Well I agree totally with flaming.

I can also see iw395s point. But I don't think race officer training is the answer if then people go on to only do it once a year. The organisation and documentation is pretty good.

Even when i was in under 10s football the person refereeing was doing it week in week out and was expected to have a certain level of professionalism.

I don't get why people who are going out and buying 150k boats (not me i hasten to add!) then get any old people to run the races if they expect a perfect result every time.

2 weeks ago we would have started perfectly apart from whoever the race officer was only ran a four minute start sequence. Did I run in and complain/email/moan at them?! Of course not, its a bit of fun.

And to the idea that you need people to race against, thats true but this sort of thing must put off more people than it encourages?! The marina is full of boats that could be out racing. I think they see the rules, ood etc as a barrier.

Maybe i should start another club for people who want a bit of fun!
Some people don't regard having their sailing rendered pointless by poor race organisation as 'fun'.

If you want to pay professionals to run your racing, then that's entirely possible, at around £400 for one or two races in a morning or afternoon.
You join a club, you buy the whole package, you can't cherry pick the bits you like. There are things about my club I'd change, but taken as a whole, it's a good deal for me.
It seems to me very difficult to get people to come out and race 'just for fun', as you say there are thousands of boats sat there not taking part.
Things are kept going by the stalwarts who come out and race at every opportunity.
Those same people, or their wives/parents/previous cohort may well be the ones who keep the club going in other ways too.
I have been rostered into RO duty since I was about 12. A few years ago, I did a club RO course over a few evenings, as did SWMBO. I found it useful, both in terms of running races, and in terms of taking part in races.
It is nice when people say thanks for making a good job of running club races, I try to minimise time wasting, set a course good for the boats involved, get the length right and avoid any of the things that annoy me to a greater or lesser degree as a competitor.

I wouldn't worry too much about your fiasco, sounds like it got sorted.
Nobody got hurt, no boats damaged, the trophy will go to the right person at the end of season dinner?

But a few words with the sailing sec about why it went wrong and how we can try to avoid this might not be wasted?
sanity checking the results?
forms with enough space to write clearly?
two people taking times?
Dictaphone app on yer phone?

Seajet

Visit site
Some people don't regard having their sailing rendered pointless by poor race organisation as 'fun'.

If you want to pay professionals to run your racing, then that's entirely possible, at around £400 for one or two races in a morning or afternoon.
You join a club, you buy the whole package, you can't cherry pick the bits you like. There are things about my club I'd change, but taken as a whole, it's a good deal for me.
It seems to me very difficult to get people to come out and race 'just for fun', as you say there are thousands of boats sat there not taking part.
Things are kept going by the stalwarts who come out and race at every opportunity.
Those same people, or their wives/parents/previous cohort may well be the ones who keep the club going in other ways too.
I have been rostered into RO duty since I was about 12. A few years ago, I did a club RO course over a few evenings, as did SWMBO. I found it useful, both in terms of running races, and in terms of taking part in races.
It is nice when people say thanks for making a good job of running club races, I try to minimise time wasting, set a course good for the boats involved, get the length right and avoid any of the things that annoy me to a greater or lesser degree as a competitor.

I wouldn't worry too much about your fiasco, sounds like it got sorted.
Nobody got hurt, no boats damaged, the trophy will go to the right person at the end of season dinner?

But a few words with the sailing sec about why it went wrong and how we can try to avoid this might not be wasted?
sanity checking the results?
forms with enough space to write clearly?
two people taking times?
Dictaphone app on yer phone?

The snag with this seemingly laudable attitude is that time and again it's the newcomers - or usually uninvolved cruiser sailors - who get ' volunteered ' while the old guard racing sailors expect to remain untouched.

My club runs OOD / general race officer training ( also safety boat, RYA motor boat levels, dinghy instruction etc courses ) which help a lot and are a huge step in the right direction; however it's far from a racing club so I don't see why I should give up a weekend* to help the regular racers.

* Remember an afternoon spent buggering about helping dinghies means a whole weekend gone for a cruiser.

If it was a race oriented club like HISC I'd understand being volunteered for race officer duty a lot more ( I was a member there briefly as a cruiser owner but found the moorings and water taxi poor at the time ) - but I'd still be wary of the ' good old chaps ' taking advantage at any club !

lw395

Visit site
The snag with this seemingly laudable attitude is that time and again it's the newcomers - or usually uninvolved cruiser sailors - who get ' volunteered ' while the old guard racing sailors expect to remain untouched.
.....!
When you join a club, it pays to understand how any duty system is run.
The time you are expected to put in is as important as the sub you are expected to pay.
There are plenty of clubs to choose from, ranging from no duties to loads of duties.
Some clubs involve non-racers and non-sailors more than others.

On the coast, a lot of the smaller clubs are quite diverse, they have a group of dinghy racers, a group of families wanting their kids to learn to sail and some cruisers wanting moorings. Usually plus a group of ex-sailors using the bar. Generally no one sub-group is enough to keep the club healthy so you have to try to muddle along.

roblpm

Visit site
When you join a club, it pays to understand how any duty system is run.
The time you are expected to put in is as important as the sub you are expected to pay.
There are plenty of clubs to choose from, ranging from no duties to loads of duties.
Some clubs involve non-racers and non-sailors more than others.

On the coast, a lot of the smaller clubs are quite diverse, they have a group of dinghy racers, a group of families wanting their kids to learn to sail and some cruisers wanting moorings. Usually plus a group of ex-sailors using the bar. Generally no one sub-group is enough to keep the club healthy so you have to try to muddle along.

Quite right. No wonder Woody Allen said “I'd never join a club that would allow a person like me to become a member.”

Birdseye

Visit site

Cheers

Rob

I do OOD duty as well as race, and I have had similar experiences to yourself. People wj=ho race want to win - it matters to them. So if the OOD makes a mistake, he can expect some moans. I had complaints a couple of weeks ago, and I suspect they may have been justified in that both boats that I had 3 and 4 complained they were the wrong way round. But nobody else confirmed this so the results stood. There was no protest committee. When in the past there have been protest committees then they have been a bit formal but thats the nature of things. On the other side of the coin, I get complements about the courses set and get bought drinks at the bar for the pain of standing on the club balcony for three hours or more ( inc mid winter).

I wouldnt say you were thin ski98nned because I dont know how obnoxious your fellow members were. But as an OOD, you arent above either criticism or mistakes. Neither are the competitors.

I see OOD as a way of putting something back in and in return for the fun I have racing. And I do enjoy it, particularly the course setting bit. Its a real challenge in tidal waters and with boats ranging from 0.8 to 1.05 in two fleets

Last edited: