Why we do it....

The Q

Visit site
Although I'm new to race boat ownership, I've been racing for a long time... Every year there is a long off season, and with ownership this comes with large bills... Mooring fees, maintenance, new sails.. etc etc

I've found it quite demoralising to pay all the bills in the 1st 3 months of the year, a time when the weather is crap and the boat sits on the hard collecting leaves.

Then the season starts, and you get out there... And on that day where you get the perfect combination of wind, sun, good crew, good competition and a good race officer... Suddenly it's all worth it, and you remember to stop counting the cost in pounds, and start counting the benefit in smiles.
This weekend was one such day. Even if my hat looks like an upturned plant pot.
Just sail / race all year round then, I do, just not in a boat as big as yours..

michael_w

Visit site
Buy a cheap one design for winter sailing. I bought a Flying Fifteen a few years ago, December through March at Grafham Water SC for 2 people and boat park costs £155. 3 races back to back on a Sunday.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I did polar series safety boat duty for 20 years. That was cold enough. launching the RIb, laying & collecting race marks, then putting the RIBS away after washing down. Just sitting in the freezing wind watching others sail can be b..y cold. Desparate for someone to capsize to give me something to do.
'
So I can understand Flaming not wanting to go dinghy sailing after his cruiser experiences.
My Squib gets put away end of October at the latest & rarely comes out until June.
'
But why 9 on a 10 metre boat has me a little perplexed?
Unless he is telling fibs to keep his berthing fees down :eek: :p

The Q

Visit site
My head just pokes above deck level when sailing the summer single hander. A good woolly hat has been required for the last few weeks.
The winter Yeoman keelboat is a bit more exposed, so a buoyancy suit which has a 1/4 in foam throughout between the layers keeps most of me nice and toasty.

flaming

Visit site
The crew number on our IRC cert is 7. The event (in common with most inshore events) allows cert + 2.

As a symetrical boat we're all busy, there's no passengers.

Birdseye

Visit site
I did polar series safety boat duty for 20 years. That was cold enough. launching the RIb, laying & collecting race marks, then putting the RIBS away after washing down. Just sitting in the freezing wind watching others sail can be b..y cold. Desparate for someone to capsize to give me something to do.
'
So I can understand Flaming not wanting to go dinghy sailing after his cruiser experiences.
My Squib gets put away end of October at the latest & rarely comes out until June.
'
In my time winter racing ( every month bar January) I never found it cold. The activity warmed me up and an immersion suit insulated me.
Although I'm new to race boat ownership, I've been racing for a long time... Every year there is a long off season, and with ownership this comes with large bills... Mooring fees, maintenance, new sails.. etc etc

I've found it quite demoralising to pay all the bills in the 1st 3 months of the year, a time when the weather is crap and the boat sits on the hard collecting leaves.

Then the season starts, and you get out there... And on that day where you get the perfect combination of wind, sun, good crew, good competition and a good race officer... Suddenly it's all worth it, and you remember to stop counting the cost in pounds, and start counting the benefit in smiles.
This weekend was one such day. Even if my hat looks like an upturned plant pot.

View attachment 175824
Understand the sentiment completely. After months of sorting out problems in my small boat, we raced on Thursday for the first time this year and won on handicap. Big grin time!!

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
We raced on Wednesday, all new crew, Contessa 32. The wind died completely 3 mins after the start, and 18 boats out of 18 drifted past the wrong side of the first mark, and retired🤣

Daydream believer

Visit site
In my time winter racing ( every month bar January) I never found it cold. The activity warmed me up and an immersion suit insulated me.
I think that the operative word here is "activity". Sitting still on the side of a RIB drifting along (not too much motoring, to reduce the wind chill & keep the spray down), is a little different. As for "Immersion suits", I suppose that would beat a shortie wetsuit & Neoprene boots, under a jacket & trousers. I did wear Musto fingerless gloves for handling the race marks though.

Last edited: