Oh no...another "which boat" thread...

Iain C

Visit site
Morning all...

I've been quiet on here for a while...not been doing much sailing due to birth of small child and construction of new house. Both are all sorted now, son is nearly 2 and has said "I love boats" (good lad) and having had one weekend away with him on my Sabre, it's time for the inevitable "upsizing due to family" thing.

So what I've liked about my Sabre 27? Fin keel, decent sailplan, brick outhouse build quality (or easily DIY sorted where there have been issues), reasonable accomodation for her size, very seaworthy, and as I am a dinghy sailor she now has all kinds of go faster tweaks and a few downwind sails (symm and asymm) to keep me entertained and with a clean bottom she goes OK...I saw over 7kts out of her reaching last weekend. I like the fact that I can very easily singlehand her, with the asymm and snuffer too, and upwind I can hang on to full sail a little higher up the wind range as the mainsheet is always to hand (and everything else is led back too) What I don't like is she is a bit small and a bit basic in places, but overall she has been a great little ship. Oh, and the retrofitted Eberspacher is just bloody marvellous.

So here's the wish list for her replacement. Budget of somewhere between 20 and 30 grand.

Around 32' give or take
GRP
Honestly, I'm a cruiser not a racer, however I still want good performance and the ability to tweak. I also sail a 49er dinghy so I'm really not expecting the boat to "look after me" however if in "family mode" sailing I don't want something ready to bite at a moment's notice, or something really tender.
Fin keel...I want upwind performance (not bilge) and no single handed squeaky bum marina maneuvering moments (not long)
For antifouling, I tend to just dry out against the piles at my club, so I want something that is happy to take the ground (concrete) and sit happily on it's keel.
Wheel steering with an a/p that will steer upwind in a F4 happily (assuming boat trimmed/balanced)
Sloop rig, conventional (ie not self tacking) headsail. Slab reefing main, roller genoa (I realise individual fit out may vary and changes can be made)
Decent storage for gear. I realise that at 32' ish not all of this will be hidden away, however there needs to be space for dinghy, outboard, warps, fenders, liferaft, kite, kedge, foulies, lifejackets, tools, and hopefully still have some left for food, clothes, and general gear.
Double fo'c'sle, at least one double aft cabin behind a door, separate heads, saloon that can be converted if needed.
A proper chart table/navstation
Decent galley, double gimballed cooker, fridge, h+c pressured water
Basic shower in heads
Good headroom throughout for 6' person and decent amount of space throughout for a family. With a young'un a lot of time will be spent just on board rather than sailing, so space is key!
Decent build quality. I won't be crossing oceans but I need something that can handle UK weather properly. I don't want deck cores collapsing, or seacocks hidden away out of sight like a ticking time bomb.
Decent engine access so I can DIY service
Aesthetically, she needs a bit or "row away factor"

I realise this is a crowded space at that size, and my list will be common to many people. But are there any hidden gems or avoid at all costs boats?

My two current faves are probably the Westerly Storm 33, and the Bavaria 32. I suspect the Storm will have the Bav licked on performance, build quality and depreciation, however as a family boat the Bav is a very attractive proposition...ruined only by that daft coachroof mainsheet system which I really don't like.

Thoughts please...thanks in advance!!

Iain C

Visit site
Sorry Dan! Sorry, been away for so long last time I was here Elizmor had made it to Brighton, Dylan was still wanting to chainsaw a Centaur and you were doing some fine Ospreying. What have I missed?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Sorry Dan! Sorry, been away for so long last time I was here Elizmor had made it to Brighton, Dylan was still wanting to chainsaw a Centaur and you were doing some fine Ospreying. What have I missed?

Elizmor is abandoned (it seems) under new and less caring ownership, Dylan is saving up for a Fisher and Dan still seems to be Ospreying.

Kelpie

Visit site
Why the preference for a wheel? I'm quite surprised by that given your dinghy credentials.
Also, I didn't think the Storm had an aft cabin, more a roomy quarterberth.

dancrane

Visit site
...still seems to be Ospreying.

Indeed, on Saturday I swayed along downwind through a Solent force 4 under reefed main and genoa, crouching cramped and tense, wondering why I don't have a keelboat. :rolleyes:

Actually, since commenting earlier, I began a phenomenally tedious thread-starter on the subject of 'which yacht?' (out of three favourites) the forum thinks I should go for, and as I typed, I realised I didn't need to ask...it's obvious. So, I (and everyone here) should be grateful to Iain for asking the question ahead of me, today. :encouragement:

I wish I could advise you on which boat you need next...is it possible, like me, you too already know, but have not leveled the field on which you compare the likely options?

Last edited:

Kelpie

Visit site
Well go on then, Dan, what are you getting?
(A Sirius? Good performance, indoor helm, great for all year sailing. You may just have to rob a bank first!)

dancrane

Visit site
Please, be Sirius. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm keeping my choice secret till I've bought. I still have to change my mind at least eleven times, and excrutiate the forum while I vacillate.

But it'll be in the micro-category. A dinghy with a lid, is all I need at the moment.

Tranona

Visit site
The £30k budget will limit choice. As ever, the boat you want will invariably be in the next price bracket upwards. For example you will struggle to get a decent Bavaria 32 at that level - not impossible, but is likely to be well worn or poorly equipped. Otherwise fits the brief, but go up another nominal £10k and the field widens as the 2000-2006 period was boom time so the number and variety of boats now on the market in that age/price range is much bigger. Just as the previous 1980s period was prolific.

Iain C

Visit site
Right, back on track...Dan, feel free to start your own thread or this may get confusing!

Storm33-genuinely thought it had a stern cabin but happily be corrected...if it is just a qtr berth, that's game over for that.

Wheel-from a nonsensical point of view, a wheel feels a bit more "yotty" and a bit more exciting to be behind! From a sailing point of view, newbie crews tend to find it a bit easier, plus there's not all at that enforced moving around of crew when you tack or maneuver under power to allow the tiller to sweep. Plus the autohelm arrangement is usually much easier, being permanently rigged, which is easier for single handing. From a non-sailing point of view, I like the fact that cockpit tables are generally easier to sort with a wheel.

If the absolute perfect boat came up which ticked every box and was a bargain but had a tiller, it's not an absolute show stopper (unlike no aft cabin) however it's very much up there. That said, I fully appreciate that on the first upwind smash into a choppy one, I will curse the exposed position at the back from behind layers of goretex, and miss being able to hide under my sprayhood with a cuppa, a tiller and just hi-fits on...

Iain C

Visit site
Thanks guys. The Elan is lovely (and has the mainsheet in the right place!) but 20 to 30k does not equal 40 (sadly!) 30, or something advertised for just a bit more that will do a deal at 30 is where I need to be on this.

Kelpie

Visit site
Surprisingly hard to find a layout diagram for the Storm (clearly a boat name from pre-Google days, I keep getting stuff about weather!) but I think I was actually wrong and apprently there is indeed an aft cabin. Sorry! I must have been thinking of a different boat.

Someone on this forum recently snapped one up off Facebook for an advertised price of £12.5k which is ridiculously good value.

dancrane

Visit site
This claims to be a Storm layout:

523824_2.jpg

Pity there's no door on the loo compartment though. :eek:

doug748

Visit site
Stretch the budget slightly and this is the perfect boat for you, great performance with good sea handling, nice interior and wheel. Real thoroughbred ...
http://yachts.apolloduck.co.uk/boat.phtml?id=509184

Now then, I was thinking along those lines but thought naw. too dear, but a good shout. Nippy club racer. Lots of inexpensive ones in Croatia but it's a rocky life for a rental vehicle and a long way away.

It looks like Iain's choice is between sporty and cruising cred.
I rather like Bavaria's stance - here are cruising boats we are not going to pretend they are anything else. Set against that, you genuinely could win club races in the Storm.
There is an aft cabin complete with door. -)

Last edited: