Oh no...another "which boat" thread...

flaming

Visit site
Not an X-302. As an ex-owner I was surprised by the indifferent build quality. You're paying for Danish workers wages. Dreadful cockpit ergonomics, the head seacocks are so close together poo 'recycles'. Primitive electrics (fuses rather than breakers). Pounds worse than a Dragon, unless you've got lard on the rail. Table is only removable for racing if you take the mast out first. Not enough headroom for 6' to stand upright. Access to the engine dipstick needs eyes in your finger tips.

Oh, and the rudder started to split apart and X-Yachts UK couldn't care a damn.

Is this the exception to the rule that "everyone loves their own boat...."?

doug748

Visit site
Last edited:

michael_w

Visit site
Not an X-302. I owned one for 18months. Surprisingly poor build quality, you're paying for Danish worker's wages. Dreadful cockpit ergonomics, head seacocks so close together the poo 'recycles'. primitive electrics (fuses rather than breakers). Pounded worse than a Dragon unless you had a sbstantial aount of lard on the rail. Engine so shoe horned in you could'nt see the dipstick pipe and had to rely on luck. Table hinged only on one side, rendering that berth useless apart from children.

Oh, and the rudder started to split in two X-yachts UK couldn't give a damn as the boat was out of warranty. I wasn't claiming, just thought they might me interested in a product failure. Should have bought a First 31.7

Iain C

Visit site
Thanks Michael. I could imagine it would be easy to be seduced by go faster gear, space and shiny wood when looking round so that's some great practical advice there.

Bobc

Visit site
Just look for a nicely looked-after Bav 32/33/34.

It's the right thing for you.

Also, you may not like the coachroof mainsheet track, but it does keep it out of the way of little fingers (children have a habit of grabbing onto the mainsheet traveller, which is not a good idea). You also don't have big heavy blocks flying around in the cockpit.

Last edited:

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
... Also, you may not like the coachroof mainsheet track, but it does keep it out of the way of little fingers (children have a habit of grabbing onto the mainsheet traveller, which is not a good idea). You also don't have big heavy blocks flying around in the cockpit.

Great point, speaking as someone who sustained a very painful injury from a cockpit traveller (as a sensible and well informed adult).

My current boat (very cruiser-y to be fair) has no track at all but two mainsheets, on the coachroof with sheets led aft. Kind of achieves some of the same ends as the traveller but a lot less tweakable.

Iain C

Visit site
Ah, for some reason I thought there was no traveller on a Bav 32 and it was just a fixed mainsheet that kinda replicated a split tail system on a dinghy. I still don't like the idea that it's on a winch, away from the wheel, but at least there's a degree of tweakability there. I'd still like to know if there's a way of bringing it back to the helm though.

johnalison

Visit site
Probably a bit out of budget, but an HR31 from about 10-15 years ago might just slip in. They sail quite well and have a nice simple rig and are comfortable inside. We sailed in company with one which was a little underpowered with 18hp but otherwise quite a good boat.

Bobc

Visit site
The fixed strop system is only on the newer boats (trying to save money). You can bring the mainsheet back to the helm by putting a German mainsheet system on it and running lines back down the side decks to the secondary winches (they work very well and I'm going to do that on mine).

Also, I would say that this is worth a look (First 375). They are a nice comfy cruiser but also race very well (we had a First 345 befor the current barge).

http://beneteau.apolloduck.co.uk/boat.phtml?id=374995

Last edited:

michael_w

Visit site
Thanks Michael. I could imagine it would be easy to be seduced by go faster gear, space and shiny wood when looking round so that's some great practical advice there.

No worries! I'd still look at the Dehler 34. Ticks most of your boxes. If you can get away without an aft cabin and settle for a double quarter berth, a Contessa 33 is a very good boat. Not to be confused with a 32. I took mine on an Atlantic Circuit, after a season racing double handed.

Tranona

Visit site
Ah, for some reason I thought there was no traveller on a Bav 32 and it was just a fixed mainsheet that kinda replicated a split tail system on a dinghy. I still don't like the idea that it's on a winch, away from the wheel, but at least there's a degree of tweakability there. I'd still like to know if there's a way of bringing it back to the helm though.

They vary according to model. Most have short travellers including the 2000-2004 32 and 34 which as Bobc says are the ones to target. However you can take the tail back to the wheel area as I did for a while on my 37, which was useful for dumping the main. However you will find the boats don't need constant tweeking and with a good autopilot you just put that on and move forward to adjust sheets. You soon get used to it and as said it does keep the sheet and traveller out of the way.

As I have described here before the 32 was top of my list for downsizing from the 37 until I decided to buy new (primarily because I can now see owning the boat for longer). I was impressed with the value they represented as many boats were still on first or second owner and well kept. However the good ones are selling in the mid 30s, but worth stretching if it is a long term purchase. I know of a very good 2000 34 just reduced to £35k if you are interested.

richardbrennan

Visit site
Sorry to come a bit late to this thread. The Storm certainly had an aft cabin, but I think you will struggle to find one with wheel steering although they may exist. They were originally conceived as a OOD, but whilst excelling in heavy conditions, struggled in light airs against the competition. There was also a cruiser version that had a cut down rig and was available with bilge keels. They also appeared later as the Regatta 330, which had a very un-Westerly like interior and was not popular with traditional Westerly owners, this version also had a different fractional rig. The only ones for sale on the WOA website at present are two cruiser versions with bilge keels.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Elizmor is abandoned? Sad to hear that, she's a great boat. I helped deliver her from Preston as far as Plymouth.

There was a thread about her recently. Sold on a couple of years a go, I think, to someone who has let her slip badly. A shame, I agree - the conversion really looked quite nice and I envy anyone whose boat includes a bath and a Rayburn!