Oh for goodness sake ... just make your mind up about the Med

benjenbav

Visit site
Well done James. I'm sure it's a good move.

France is such a delightfully odd place that it's completely normal to put a T40 in a 10m space.

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
France is such a delightfully odd place that it's completely normal to put a T40 in a 10m space.

Indeed, in fact my T40 is smaller in both beam and loa than the boat it replaced. PV seem to be quite relaxed about loa, although unsurprisingly they are less so about beam. Beaulieu sur Mer at the other extreme do not tolerate any excess loa at all.

Cheers
Jimmy

TommieDee

www.dq.im
Jimmy

You deserve an Oscar or at least a booker prize nomination for these hilarious, and at times tense, tales of battling with the capitainerie's weird and wonderful idiosyncrasies and the French general disdain for simple transparent honest systems...

Your post is most timely as I am contemplating a move to Med in next few years (SWMBO basically saying if i am to keep the boat, it needs to be somewhere it doesn't rain and blow a blooming gale 10 months of the year, although she would prefer to sell the boat altogether I think.......eh I know!). She says 3 kids under 6yrs not that easy on a boat. I am blind to this as I was born and bred on them. But she has a point I think!

anyway, because of my possible future Med move, I have been following your dilemma with interest along with several other useful (but obviously not as entertaining) threads about life in the Med. Although Hurricane's trip to valencia gp was pretty special...
http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318753

So, I have been searching the forum the last few weeks/days to see if JTB has finally made his mind up yet as I am keen to keep SWMBO updated on what a newbie med boater decided about moving back to the cold and wet UK. She was v interested in your tale!

Great to hear you have had some good luck and that at last you have a decision. Congrats and enjoy what sounds like an amazing holiday life down in PV. Although i reckon you should sell your berth in 12 months and move to BsM to take over that rubbish restaurant.....

Happy boating, you deserve it.

Oh and if you or any other SoF Spain or Med based forumites happen to be at SIBS on 18 or 19 Sept, it would be great to meet up for a pint to quiz you on life in the Med and the issues involved in a possible move down there.

Keep the updates, pics and hilarious stories coming. Don't let this berth purchase ruin your now well established writing career!

Tommiedee

EME

www.lumishore.com
Crikes sounds like Antibes is now solely occupied by Forumites, blokes from Oracle/Microsoft and a few Rusky oligarchs.

What makes you think they aren't one & the same?

Axshully it was quite amusing last Friday afternoon. Nature decided to do what it does and a day of very high winds culminating in F6/7 ( Nick H will know!) All complicated by wind moving through 180-degrees in a moment.

The "mob" (and that happened to be 5 boats worth last Friday so not a full compliment ) were extremely helpful in tying off, helping berth, recovering sun cushions, fixing springs to unattended boats etc etc. JTB was heard to mention that it was the most boats he has ever been on (uninvited) in one afternoon !

Anyways some grateful owners (and one miserable guy) asked how this large roving mob all spoke English (or French or German or whatever) ....... just not the right time to announce we're axshully a bunch of weirdos who met on t'internet.

AdeOlly

Visit site
Phew, that's a relief JTB. Brighton is my 'local' marina and that is about its only redeeming feature. Having followed your Med move and subsequent threads with interest I was like others on here amazed you were considering abandoning the clear warm waters of the Med and bringing Vega back to Brighton.

Well done on making what looked to me as the 'no brainer' decision :D:D

jrudge

Visit site
'reached a very reasonable price...'

My inlaws nearly spat their tea out when they heard how much your berth was, then just laughed when I said it could be worth zero come Jan 2022.

Nearly laughed as much as when you explained the berth number, which really does need to be aired on here :)

Perfect boat, perfect berth in the perfect place - wether its Villefranche and the islands or further afrield it means plenty of years of perfect boating ahead.

Enjoy.

OK ... So what was the very reasonable price ....

kcrane

Visit site
In broad terms, and (conveniently) ignoring the fact that I've fronted up nine years worth of fees, I'm paying approximately the same as Swanwick marina rates.

Cheers
Jimmy

Remember not to ask me the winter rates in St Helier.

I reckon you went with your heart rather than head to make the right decision!

D

Deleted User YDKXO

In broad terms, and (conveniently) ignoring the fact that I've fronted up nine years worth of fees, I'm paying approximately the same as Swanwick marina rates.
OK you've paid up front but that sounds more than reasonable, Jimmy. I was given to understand that there was little or no negotiation on berth prices in hotspots like PV so extremely well done. I could never make the cost of buying a berth in the Med stack up against the cost of renting over the same period but it sounds like you've got close

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com
OK you've paid up front but that sounds more than reasonable, Jimmy. I was given to understand that there was little or no negotiation on berth prices in hotspots like PV so extremely well done. I could never make the cost of buying a berth in the Med stack up against the cost of renting over the same period but it sounds like you've got close

The numbers start to make a bit more sense if you take advantage of PV's tolerance on length, as JTB has cleverly done by getting his 12-13m boat onto a 10m berth.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

The numbers start to make a bit more sense if you take advantage of PV's tolerance on length, as JTB has cleverly done by getting his 12-13m boat onto a 10m berth.
Lets hope they still tolerant when he upgrades to a Targa 52:)