no diesel at bleeding screw, only air?

Bonvivant

Visit site
i am on my enginesince yesterday and I cant get it to work. It originally seized up due to super clogged filters. Now I changed The primary and try to bleed air but nothing!

I went so far to even install a diesel bulb in line from filter to lift pump, but I squeeze for hours and only get air at the bleeding screw, which is at the injector.

The lines are all clean, I checked them. The hose from the tank to the filter spill diesel when disconnected, the filter was changed, the hose from filter to lift pump sucks air when I disconnect it, I also previously tried with diesel from the jerry can, which works also. I saw diesel coming through at the bleeding screw, lifting pump wors also.

When the bulb is squeezed I can see air bubbles at the top and, what I assume must be, diesel coming in, but no diesel goes out though the hose and I didnt see leaks. Checked with clean paper towels.

I tried with open and also trued with a closed air screw on the filter, I tried the same with the bleedng screw at the injector. Nothing works.

What is going on? I mean if I can see the diesel coming into the glass bowl, then you would assume that it fills up after an hour, I prefilled it 95% already (doesnt get better).???

I changed filters on this boat befkre and last time I had a similar issue, but then ut worked aftrr a while. I forgot what I was doing and I didnt note it (although I thought I did.). I am not sure if its the same thing and I forget something, or if its a new issue.

but uf all hoses work why does no diesel come through?

engine is a beta 14.

just undone everything and accidentally spilled my diesel from the glass bowl, knocked thecup over. Put it in empty tl see if anything is different, not really. Except now I can see that no diesel drips through. Dunno what that was earlie, but it looked that way.

filter is slightly above tank, but that wasnt a big issue before.

Need to fix this asap as I am currently on a borrowed buoy as rnli had to fish me out due to the engine failure. :\

Last edited:

Daverw

Visit site
If fuel filter above tank have you looked at air lock in filter and you may quite a lot of air to bleed through

BabaYaga

Visit site
I went so far to even install a diesel bulb in line from filter to lift pump, but I squeeze for hours and only get air at the bleeding screw, which is at the injector.

I think the priming bulb should be installed before the primary filter, so that it pushes diesel through. Mine certainly is, and it works well.
If installed after, it will just suck air through the bleeding screw on the primary filter.

Also, when you say 'bleeding screw at the injector', do you mean injector pump?

Bonvivant

Visit site
Spent the last half hour running an oil extractor rigged though the outgoing hose from the primary filter, nothing. No diesel filling up or being sucked through. Hm. I dont know what else to do. Last time it was not that bug of an issue andI didnt spend hours over hours on it.

Bonvivant

Visit site
I think the priming bulb should be installed before the primary filter, so that it pushes diesel through. Mine certainly is, and it works well.
If installed after, it will just suck air through the bleeding screw on the primary filter.

Also, when you say 'bleeding screw at the injector', do you mean injector pump?
Hm. Maybe I did it wrong, I though it would just replace the tiny mechanical pump. And yes, on thus engine the bleeding screw is at the injector.

srm

Visit site
Difficult to give much help without knowing details of the layout of your fuel system. I assume the fuel tank is below the engine lift pump and these can be difficult to prime.
However, from what you say I would suspect an air leak in the fuel line, probably at one of the joints.

DownWest

Visit site
Bit confusing, but best if the bulb is before any filters, so you know that everything is under pressure. If no leaks, you should be able to prime in a matter of seconds.
You say the bleed screw is on the injector? or the injection pump? The diesel will not go through the pump to the injector, unless the pump (& engine )is turning. Bleeding to the injector is done with the engine turning under starter after you get the fuel to the bleed screw on the pump. The pump is in the engine block, just follow the rigid tubes from the injectors back down.

Unless I misunderstood where you were bleeding from? The pump has a screw, the injectors bleed by undoing the nut holding the high pressure pipe to the injector. Just by a turn, it comes through at 170 bar, so keep hands away.

Bonvivant

Visit site
Okay, I thought I ask for help to get an angle, but despite all the (considering the circumstances) good advise it was a problem you could have never guessed, and it took me 5-9 hours myself on that bleeding engine.

So what was the problem? The lift pump works and djd so last time, too. The bulb was ultimatively unnecessary. No, the issue was the filter! Unbeknownst to me, it was slughtly, almost invisibly so, dented. Who knows why? It was fresh from the pack, from my spares shelf. I tried to bring it back tk shape, but that wouldnt work. So I dug out the original filter, opened the top, ripped the paper out to get the casing, then did the same to the broken new filter and stuffed the filter into the old casing as best as I could and et voila, it worked right away. No issues getting it filled with fuel, it was easier with the bulb, so I leave it, but the lift pump worked well enpugh, too.

Such a crazy solution.

i woukd congratulate myself with a cigar now but with all those diesel fumes I blow myself up most likely.

the filter should work until next marina, then it can get replaced. Maybe this will be of help to anyone in the future.

oldharry

Visit site
The priming bulb should be before any filters. You have air leak at the filter and instead of lifting fuel it is just sucking in air.

Being able to pressurise the filter, which is always the weak point from the point of view of air leaks, because its the point where you have to open it, also helps show up any leaks. Particularly useful if the fuel tank is at a lower level and the system operates under negative pressure so that àir is sucked in before fuel ever reaches the leak.