Next book for reading

ShipsWoofy

Visit site
I am at a loose end now, who will suggest the next book to read and discuss.

I would request something funny and factual, but also think I have used up my points with a poor choice for our first book.

Poignard

Visit site
"Hotel Bemelmans" by Ludwig Bemelmans.

This was BBC Radio4 Book-of-the-Week a few years ago; they usually choose good books for that. I thought it was very funny.

BTW I recommended it to SWMBO's book group, [of which I am not a member], and they hated it.

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
Enemy Coast Ahead, by the late Guy Gibson. Utterly compelling even though written subject to war time secrecy. One of the best insights into life at war I have ever read. But when they had fun they did so as if it was the last party they would ever have. Of course, that was the case for so many.

Or a real challenge for the adventurous. King James version of The Bible, regardless of your religious beliefs it is still some of the best written material in the English language.

pjs100

Visit site
First post to this thread but Joseph Conrad must be the seaman's writer. Try the [--word removed--] Of The Narcissus.
This is an English classic written by a emigré writer. Why should a word be removed? The fully titled book is listed on Amazon.
JJTOP

reginaldon

Visit site
Or a real challenge for the adventurous. King James version of The Bible, regardless of your religious beliefs it is still some of the best written material in the English language.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I agree but it's so sad there is now a plethora of new modern translations and paraphrases that have lost both the poetry, incisiveness, memorability and often the accuracy of the AV. Why has English lost the second person singular - most other languages find it necessary in order to correctly identify the addressee.

Incredible that one cannot now quote the title of the book The N'gger of the Narcissus, by one of the greatest writers in the English language and one who incredibly learned the language late in the day.

NB. I note that Shrimpy by Shane Aton has not been mentioned on this forum - not a literary masterpiece but a fascinating account of a voyage by a remarkable man