New to boating, first time owner

nathwraith

Visit site
Hi all,

First post on the forum here. I'm looking to start boating, with a motor of course. I have some mild experience from my late teens (now 32) when my late father owned several motor yachts over the years. Some real beauties: Princess 42, 67, 68 & Sunseeker Predator 72.

I'm keen to get on the water with my own boat, nothing as crazy in terms of cost/size of the above though. I need to get myself brushed back up knowledge wise and I believe the RYA PB2 course is a good start, I'd also like to complete the day skipper course and Navigation course too.

Boat wise, I'm looking circa £200K, ideally new/nearly new. Usage case is a nice day boat that has some protection from the elements (looking to keep in the UK) with socailising areas and not just a "one trick pony" (eg just fast), having a cabin is nice and a decent heads compartment.

I'm based in Chester, so naturally North Wales seems a good spot (2hr drive) but I have no experience of the area. Most of my previous boating (with my dad) was done in Torquay and then the med (Antibes & Palma).

The below have caught my eye:

- Axopar 28 & 37 cabin
- Sazdor 320GTC (current fav)
- Dromeas D28 SUV
- De Antonio D28 Cruiser
- Flipper 900ST
- Cormate T28

I have toyed with the idea of something older and larger (Fairline 40, Princess 42 etc) but I'm not sure that would be the wisest move and also the running costs would be much steeper.

I've spent a good few weeks trawling the forum but its always good to hear off posters directly too. So any tips or advice would be much appreicated.

Thanks

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Welcome along. Sounds like a great plan, and you’re certainly going to be able to get a good boat with a decent budget like that. The types of boat you mention, typically outboard powered day boat/ weekenders with a cabin, are increasingly common now. Suggest you plan to come to the Southampton boat show in a few weeks time, there will be plenty of examples to look at. Use the Saxdor as your benchmark.

One thing I would say is that buying new doesn’t necessarily mean you will not have problems. One possibility is to also consider buying nearly new, say up to three years old, when the the original owner has done all the snagging for you. I’ve had two new boats in the last six years and plenty of warranty snags to show for it.

Anyway, best of luck, regardless of what you decide to do 🙂

julians

Visit site
Ive got an axopar 28 t top aft cabin(not the cabin version), its good if thats the sort of thing you're after - although not really suitable for more than a couple of nights sleeping on board, the aft cabin is tiny (but fine for 2 people) , its much more of a dayboat than a sleepover boat. The fuel and water tanks are a bit on the small side - not a huge deal, but I'd rather they were larger, there are a few other minor niggles if I'm being really picky, the hull is great though, goes well through a fair chop. I'd imagine the 37 is pretty good too, and probably more usable as something to sleep on, but with a significant increase in costs.

All the other boats on your list also look decent, with the exception of the de antonio - I've only ever seen them around , never read a review on them,so maybe theyre amazing, but their styling is a bit too slab sided for my tastes.

Last edited:

Seastoke

Visit site
I was based in North Wales for 10 years ie Conwy , they do sell petrol but not elsewhere. I am now based in Torquay, .

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
That’s a point. Outboard boats are almost always petrol. So if you choose one, you need to be able to refuel it easily. Some marinas only carry diesel. Carrying fuel from Tesco will quickly reduce your enjoyment!

julians

Visit site
Good point above on petrol,The availability (or lack of) petrol is potentially a big factor in your boat choice. Petrol is plentiful where I am,but may not be wherever you choose.

nathwraith

Visit site
Thanks all. Yes I had heard petrol may become a bit of a pain to source which could limit cruising distances somewhat.

Good shout on the Southampton boat show, we will certianly go down and have a look around.

I have looked at Pwllheli marina online and it looks like its well equipped, walk on pontoon, facilities, parking, fuel etc. But I simply don't know the local area ashore or the coast.

Another beneifit is that they run a PB2 course there.

We do have a holiday home in Carbis Bay, Cornwall so a boat down there could be an option too. I'm much better acquinted with the local area and whats about, weather is usually nicer than up here too. But the distance means the boat would not get used as much I fear.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Thanks all. Yes I had heard petrol may become a bit of a pain to source which could limit cruising distances somewhat.

Good shout on the Southampton boat show, we will certianly go down and have a look around.

I have looked at Pwllheli marina online and it looks like its well equipped, walk on pontoon, facilities, parking, fuel etc. But I simply don't know the local area ashore or the coast.

Another beneifit is that they run a PB2 course there.

We do have a holiday home in Carbis Bay, Cornwall so a boat down there could be an option too. I'm much better acquinted with the local area and whats about, weather is usually nicer than up here too. But the distance means the boat would not get used as much I fear.
Blimmin long way to Cornwall. Reckon the trek will put you off! Go for a base as local as you sensibly can and so you’ll get the best chances of using the boat.

nathwraith

Visit site
Blimmin long way to Cornwall. Reckon the trek will put you off! Go for a base as local as you sensibly can and so you’ll get the best chances of using the boat.

Yeah I'm leaning that way. I see that Portmadog, Pwllheli and Abersoch are all very close. Any body had experience with all the above?

Saying that if I did go the Cornwall route I would be tempted with a larger boat where we could stay on for a few days at a time.

SC35

Visit site
There is a lovely Cormate T28 in our marina.
Axopars are also very popular if you like that shape of boat, and you prefer outboards.
I've always fancied a Windy Solano 27 or Zonda 31 in that size range.

Not many of the above will be comfy for staying aboard "a few days at a time".

Last edited:

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Yeah I'm leaning that way. I see that Portmadog, Pwllheli and Abersoch are all very close. Any body had experience with all the above?

Saying that if I did go the Cornwall route I would be tempted with a larger boat where we could stay on for a few days at a time.
Makes sense. In that case if you want a boat with more substantial accommodation you’ll need to be looking at compromises on the boat age and / or condition. Or up your budget a lot.

nathwraith

Visit site
Makes sense. In that case if you want a boat with more substantial accommodation you’ll need to be looking at compromises on the boat age and / or condition. Or up your budget a lot.

Yeah this is it. £500K would get me a nice Sealine S390 which would be perfect but I think thats a big chunk to spend on a first boat and ultimately isn't double the boat of a £200-250K one.

I did see a nice 2012 Fairline squadron 42 for sale for £300K but is this too big too soon.

GrahamHR

Visit site
We went to Newquay , Cornwall last years school Summer holiday , from a town 8 miles from Chester. Lovely location, but never again ! The journey to and from was horrendous.

Last edited:

GrahamHR

Visit site
Good point above on petrol,The availability (or lack of) petrol is potentially a big factor in your boat choice. Petrol is plentiful where I am,but may not be wherever you choose.
We ran 2 boats , both with 5.7 V8 Volvo Penta petrol engines from 2001 to 2014. Moved to a (diesel) VP D4-300 EVC-C; big mistake !!!!!

As to the petrol engined boats, we had ( still have) 6 x 20 litre steel jerrycans from those days. Easy to fill in North Wales (they know the local market), less so in Cheshire. Easy and safe filling of the tank using a syphon pump, no spillages. Clearly no naked lights or smoking when doing it ( we don't smoke and are not stupid !).

If we were to get another boat, it'd have petrol outboards.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Yeah this is it. £500K would get me a nice Sealine S390 which would be perfect but I think thats a big chunk to spend on a first boat and ultimately isn't double the boat of a £200-250K one.

I did see a nice 2012 Fairline squadron 42 for sale for £300K but is this too big too soon.
Yup. If you stick to your 200k ish budget and want decent weeks-plus accommodation then you’re going to be looking at something 10 or more years old. Not a bad thing, just a mindset adjustment.

Have a look at a used Merry Fisher 1095. Should be doable money wise, and has a lot of space for the size. Even a fly bridge version available.

The sq42 is lovely, a little jewel of a boat but has possibly the most awkward engine access known to man.

FWIW in your shoes I’d stick to plan A, and keep the boat locally.