New to boating, first time owner

Greg2

Visit site
I did see a nice 2012 Fairline squadron 42 for sale for £300K but is this too big too soon.

Perhaps not. It isn’t at all unusual for the first boat to be the wrong boat as you quickly learn want you actually want and that usually involves something bigger. A Squadron 42 would be a very comfortable boat for weekends and holidays and very capable of cruising the Welsh coast.

ashtead

Visit site
You don’t say how many crew you intend to boat with however many having acquired first boat look to move up in a few years so I would start with say 2010 plus boat and mass market brand but I guess a lot depends on family needs ,your destination plans etc. a lot seems in mobo to turn on what personal brand you have -many might be happy in a Sealine but would you always be looking longily at that princess or sunseeker ? Is the brand important ? Maybe list the features you value but consider resale ability and avoid anything exotic not known in uk market. Are you good at servicing engines or consider a mystic art ? I would have thought if a young crew then seakeeping ability might be key so as to not frighten the family? But maybe you just want a day boat to start with and cabin space seems not so important? Will you use outside of summer months in Wales? Not quite Port Vauban I suspect . Axopar seem popular so I guess easily tradable .

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
I’ve sent you a PM
Something to think about
Interesting comment by @ashtead which I’m sure was made in good humour but in 40 years of owning Sealines I’ve not met a single Sealine owner who looks longingly at Princess or Sunseeker (both great boat makers by the way) In fact Sealine have a long reputation for brand loyalty while moving up the sizes.
Just saying

Last edited:

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
I’ve sent you a PM
Something to think about
Interesting comment by @ashtead which I’m sure was made in good humour but in 40 years of owning Sealines I’ve not met a single Sealine owner who looks longingly at Princess or Sunseeker (both great boat makers by the way) In fact Sealine have a long reputation for brand loyalty while moving up the sizes.
Just saying
Despite loyal Sealine customers, the brand was taken over by Hanse Yachts in 2013.
Things have changed, so if looking for Sealine of UK origin you need a 10+ year old boat.

Proximity and prioritisation are key for getting to and using the boat as much as you'd want.
Our boat (30' mobo, twin diesels) is 10-15 minutes away, and I'm there every day, year-round. If nothing else then to check, say hello to friends and have a good one.

harvey38

Visit site
Yeah I'm leaning that way. I see that Portmadog, Pwllheli and Abersoch are all very close. Any body had experience with all the above?

Saying that if I did go the Cornwall route I would be tempted with a larger boat where we could stay on for a few days at a time.
I have friend who has his yacht based in Pwllheli, it's a nice, well kept marina with good facilities. An easy walk into town for supplies and a fuel station that seem to sell fuel cheaper a few pence below the competition.

nathwraith

Visit site
I’m very appreciative of all the responses!

Crew wise it will just be me, my wife will be preoccupied looking after our little one onboard (1 year old). This is where something 40 foot plus may become more to handle.

Brand wise, no I’m not biased in anyway. I mention Sunseeker and Princess as they are the boats I’ve had the pleasure of being aboard in the past.

Engine wise, I will be getting a professional to service them, ie not me haha.

ashtead

Visit site
Nimbus with a stern and bow thruster at 36ft might be easily handled and sold on but compact and just one engine to have serviced . Certainly they have a loyal following. Happy hunting . I’m sure many happy with Sealines btw but I was trying to give an example of a mass market boat which might not have the appeal of others. Beauty is in eye of beholder and all that.

Greg2

Visit site
I’m very appreciative of all the responses!

Crew wise it will just be me, my wife will be preoccupied looking after our little one onboard (1 year old). This is where something 40 foot plus may become more to handle.

Brand wise, no I’m not biased in anyway. I mention Sunseeker and Princess as they are the boats I’ve had the pleasure of being aboard in the past.

Engine wise, I will be getting a professional to service them, ie not me haha.

Perhaps counter intuitive but a larger boat can sometimes be easier to single hand than a smaller boat. Underway it is no different between larger and smaller, except that the larger boat will likely be more stable and perhaps with a more comfortable motion at sea. When coming into a berth, with a bit of pre-planning with lines and fenders all prepared, it is entirely doable and a larger boat may be a bit more planted in the water and will stay put for a little longer than a smaller, lighter boat.

Another consideration is that a larger boat perhaps provides a more comfortable and safer environment for a very young child and in reality the baby would likely be fine in a carrier / car seat in the saloon whilst Mum spends five minutes helping with the lines.

nathwraith

Visit site
Perhaps counter intuitive but a larger boat can sometimes be easier to single hand than a smaller boat. Underway it is no different between larger and smaller, except that the larger boat will likely be more stable and perhaps with a more comfortable motion at sea. When coming into a berth, with a bit of pre-planning with lines and fenders all prepared, it is entirely doable and a larger boat may be a bit more planted in the water and will stay put for a little longer than a smaller, lighter boat.

Another consideration is that a larger boat perhaps provides a more comfortable and safer environment for a very young child and in reality the baby would likely be fine in a carrier / car seat in the saloon whilst Mum spends five minutes helping with the lines.

Yes this is where my head is going, a larger boat is starting to make sense, on paper at least!

I’ve seen a few Aquaholic videos on YouTube on the squadron 42 and one with a “meet the owners” style where they have reupholstered the interior with Seatag. Seems like that could be a good way to go.

Last edited:

Sticky Fingers

Visit site

SC35

Visit site
He was! He taught me a lot and I miss him dearly.

Oh wow, some big shoes to fill there, what a great character :)

Random plug for a Sealine.
Other Sealines are available.

The advantage of a boat that isn't so multi-story is "Only one set of steps to fall down", at least that was our experience with small kids.

This one is sold, but others are available, and the pictures are half decent:
Sealine SC42 7328162 – Burton Waters Boat Sales

7328162-2320543712-8.jpg

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
You can maybe find the thread on here but in summary, topped out at 26kts with clean bum and new AF. Engines throwing errors, wouldn't run at >tickover on only one engine. Owner reluctant (wouldn't) take her up to WOT for more than a second or two. All very poor. Survey found dozens of problems including stress cracks in the cabin top, transom had been replaced at some time, one drive leg full of water. Was a basket case.

Last edited: