New to boating, first time owner

Sianna

Visit site
You can maybe find the thread on here but in summary, topped out at 26kts with clean bum and new AF. Engines throwing errors, wouldn't run at >tickover on only one engine. Owner reluctant (wouldn't) take her up to WOT of more than a second or two. All very poor. Survey found dozens of problems including stress cracks in the cabin top, transom had been replaced at some time, one drive leg full of water. Was a basket case.
Lovely looking boat too, just shows the importance of a "decent" survey and sea trial, an easy money pit to fall into.

nathwraith

Visit site
As already mentioned, your Dad was a regular contributor on here and was well respected. Good to have you here.
Thanks. I knew he was on a boating forum but my searches turned up nothing until I joined this one. Our adventures we had when I was younger have stuck with me and now I'm a father I'd love to do the same for my children. Plus who doesn't like a new toy!

Parabolica

Visit site
Hi Nathwraith,

We’re just home yesterday from our first full boating holiday as a family (bought Nov last year), and it has been truly fantastic.

Having considered options at here in the UK, i actually then decided that UK boating just wasn’t for me because the weather was too unpredictable and my time limited so we have our boat based in Mallorca. Living about as far from the sea as is possible in the UK (Herts), i also found the journey time to being on board not so dissimilar either.

Anyway, coincidently to your post, only this week a dealer at the marina we are based at, Port Calanova, had a promotional sales event and they deal in De Antonio, Fjord etc. they have plenty of stock there and the marina also has hotel rooms so if you were still interested to consider these types of boats, it would be a very simple exercise to get everything covered in just a day or two without having to trek too far about, regardless of where you intend to eventually boat. The marina is also home to Mallorca’s Axopar dealer who have lots of those boats there too.

I‘m not trying to sell you on Mallorca as you clearly have plenty of previous experience of boating there but thought the above might be of use to you in helping you identify exactly what model of boat you really want to go for without the need to trek too much.

If of interest:

DeAntonio Yachts Mallorca. Embarcaciones en Mallorca – By Antonio Yachts. Exclusive distributor in Mallorca, Yachts, boats, yachts, yachts, boats outboard, nautical, luxury boats, design boats, boats under maintenance.

STELO - MEDITERRANEAN YACHT ENGINEERS S.L.

Happy hunting.

nathwraith

Visit site
Hi Nathwraith,

We’re just home yesterday from our first full boating holiday as a family (bought Nov last year), and it has been truly fantastic.

Having considered options at here in the UK, i actually then decided that UK boating just wasn’t for me because the weather was too unpredictable and my time limited so we have our boat based in Mallorca. Living about as far from the sea as is possible in the UK (Herts), i also found the journey time to being on board not so dissimilar either.

Anyway, coincidently to your post, only this week a dealer at the marina we are based at, Port Calanova, had a promotional sales event and they deal in De Antonio, Fjord etc. they have plenty of stock there and the marina also has hotel rooms so if you were still interested to consider these types of boats, it would be a very simple exercise to get everything covered in just a day or two without having to trek too far about, regardless of where you intend to eventually boat. The marina is also home to Mallorca’s Axopar dealer who have lots of those boats there too.

I‘m not trying to sell you on Mallorca as you clearly have plenty of previous experience of boating there but thought the above might be of use to you in helping you identify exactly what model of boat you really want to go for without the need to trek too much.

If of interest:

DeAntonio Yachts Mallorca. Embarcaciones en Mallorca – By Antonio Yachts. Exclusive distributor in Mallorca, Yachts, boats, yachts, yachts, boats outboard, nautical, luxury boats, design boats, boats under maintenance.

STELO - MEDITERRANEAN YACHT ENGINEERS S.L.

Happy hunting.

Thanks for your detailed reply @Parabolica, it has to be said this boating thing has become quite the slipperly slope. Started off as a day boat nearish, to ah why not go for a "proper" flybridge motor yacht, to now looking at berths abroad :LOL:

I remember my dad saying how much easier boating in the Med was with nicer weather and less tide. It is tempting!

The De Antonio boats do have a certain coolness to them but I think my requirements have shifted to something larger now, I appreciate the insight though!

I contacted Pwllheli marina today regarding a berth but they have a waiting list and nothing available until 2025! I'm not that patient.

I've contacted Offshore sea school also based in Pwllheli about enrolling in the PB2 course too but hopefully I can do that sooner than 2025 :giggle:

Millermob

Visit site
Hi Nathwraith,

To follow on from @Parabolica, I was also boating out of North Wales (Absersoch & Conwy Marina) and given that I'm in Manchester, it was fairly convenient for day-trips and long weekends.

Having become fed-up of the unpredictable weather and fewer options of places to visit when out on the water (8m rib rather than a cabin boat), I also moved the boat to Mallorca and funnily enough, will also be located in Port Calanova. They have a dry-stack which works perfectly for my style of day-boating.

I'm a similar age to you (33) and I've made a couple of trips out and the warm weather, blue waters and things to do on the water has been hugely appealing. 3 more trips planned before the end of September. Having visited Studland / Dorset for the weekend, my wife and I commented that for less time, we would have comfortably reached the boat in Mallorca.

Lots of things to factor and compromises as usual - happy to have a chat with you on thoughts as you go through the motions. Drop me a PM if so.

All the best with whichever route you go down!

Freddie

s50cam

Visit site
Hi Nathwraith,
I'm in a similar position, budget smaller @£150K and plan on keeping it in SOF.
One boat I dont think mentioned is a Windy 29 Coho.
This and an Axopar are my current shortlist, might be too small for your thoughts now but worth a look.

Portofino

Visit site
Thanks for your detailed reply @Parabolica, it has to be said this boating thing has become quite the slipperly slope. Started off as a day boat nearish, to ah why not go for a "proper" flybridge motor yacht, to now looking at berths abroad :LOL:

I remember my dad saying how much easier boating in the Med was with nicer weather and less tide. It is tempting!

The De Antonio boats do have a certain coolness to them but I think my requirements have shifted to something larger now, I appreciate the insight though!

I contacted Pwllheli marina today regarding a berth but they have a waiting list and nothing available until 2025! I'm not that patient.

I've contacted Offshore sea school also based in Pwllheli about enrolling in the PB2 course too but hopefully I can do that sooner than 2025 :giggle:
I came from U.K. sail boats to mobos 20 y ago .Straight to the Med for the predicable weather in time short school hols .
The point is I was a virgin mobo qualification wise .Had some sailing quallys .Sure could handle yachts effectively a single screw in / out marina berths etc .

So to future proof ( brexit wasn’t on everybody’s psychic back then ) I did the French qually .
There we’re and probably still are plenty of bateau ecoles that did it in dual language, Eg speaking instructors .
About a week , family ensconced in a hotel , me at “ school “ only 1/2 days anyhow .
There will some in the Balearics too .
You can boat watch narrow down search too before buying .

As a third party state if you intend to keep your boat in the EU the rules of comity might , said might be enforced .
Currently officialdoms turning a blind eye .

I keep this in “notes “ to copy / paste when qualifications crop up for Med boating apologies for those veterans on here that have seen it before .
Additionally the last time i looked at the RYA site is was very opaque in the subject for obvious reasons .

Its currently over looked at the mo in the EU , but your ( what ever flagged boat ) stays effectively permanently, more than 6 months then by the book they can now insist you follow local rules , so no change per se after 1/1/21 , just a question if a cattle prod from Brussels comes down forcing the Sp FR or what ever to apply it .

You can see why waaaaay back in 2005 I did the French permit d Mer .Already had the RYA tickets btw , this was as well as ,not instead of - because at the time the boat is / was not transient in the Cote d Azur .

The rag on the stern stuck to a pole is irrelevant.

This “ British flag = British rules “ debate regularly crops up. I think you need to read Uncloss 11 and other international agreements. The coastal State can impose whatever conditions it wants on vessels NOT on innocent passage. Portugal for instance requires pleasure craft there for more that 6 months to carry the same safety equipment as Portuguese registered ones although unlike a few years ago Portugal where foreign flagged boats that are deemed resident are required to comply with local rules on equipment. New Zealand also applies local rules to foreign boats that are resident, although like Portugal it exempts genuine visitors or boats on "innocent passage".

Innocent passage is an important concept in international law as that is when coastal states apply the principle of "comity" and respect the state flags rules. However once a boat starts cruising within the waters of the coastal state, and that time exceeds 6 months then “innocent passage “no longer applies and with it comity, although in practice most states do extend comity, at least for private leisure craft. That’s the current position within the Med.

Parabolica

Visit site

Adding further, i jumped the gun and bought our Predator before having got any qualifications to be able to use it. Simple solution, i booked a Day Skipper / ICC course with an English RYA instructor (Tony Stanton of Deep Blue Sea Training who has a sea school in Mallorca and his own boats to use if you wish in Portals). My eldest son (18) and I then went out and had four very enjoyable days qualifying during the first week of Jan this year. We were in tee-shirts and shorts the whole week and I knew i’d made the right decision.

And now just six months further on, last week we had our first fantastic passage across to Cabrera for one night tied to a buoy (booking details I learnt within this here parish), and again this reiterated to me that whilst expensive, Med based boating will likely keep my interest longer than if i’d furthered it within the UK as I have friends who on the same week turned back to the IOW as the crossing to Portsmouth was just too choppy for them and their passengers. Plus they were freezing cold !

nathwraith

Visit site
Adding further, i jumped the gun and bought our Predator before having got any qualifications to be able to use it. Simple solution, i booked a Day Skipper / ICC course with an English RYA instructor (Tony Stanton of Deep Blue Sea Training who has a sea school in Mallorca and his own boats to use if you wish in Portals). My eldest son (18) and I then went out and had four very enjoyable days qualifying during the first week of Jan this year. We were in tee-shirts and shorts the whole week and I knew i’d made the right decision.

And now just six months further on, last week we had our first fantastic passage across to Cabrera for one night tied to a buoy (booking details I learnt within this here parish), and again this reiterated to me that whilst expensive, Med based boating will likely keep my interest longer than if i’d furthered it within the UK as I have friends who on the same week turned back to the IOW as the crossing to Portsmouth was just too choppy for them and their passengers. Plus they were freezing cold !

This is the kind of encouragement I need. Hmm always love a “dilemma” :LOL:

Parabolica

Visit site
This is the kind of encouragement I need. Hmm always love a “dilemma” :LOL:
Each to their own Nathan because your boating has to work for you. But i’d say don’t rule out boating abroad without first considering it for yourself and your family with a few short trips away.
You will remember the scene from your trips with your father but now it will be different as this is something you want for your family and showing this option to your wife will for sure then give you both plenty to discuss, consider and then make what will be the right decision for you all.