New leisure battery, is it ok question

saltyrob

Visit site
Hi all,

Just to complete my battery education , battery voltage 12.7 volts ,turned on lights for three hours, after dark ,and battery dropped to 12.4 volts ,then after turning off returned to 2.68 volts. Appears from the table that this is ok ,but would be interested what the thoughts are concerning lowest safe voltage for a flooded lead battery under load. Presume the mppt solar charger is also drawing a small amount of current at night.
Just for fun checked my multi tester against the mppt reading on my phone and neighbours pro calibrated tester and all the readings were slightly different

Cheers and many thanks again

Rob

wingcommander

Visit site
Again, even under load your only measuring the surface voltage at the battery terminals. Its a chemical thing and much more accurate if you record your recovery voltage after different current draws. You will soon get a better understanding of whats going on . For example .Have someone operate the starter motor and see your voltage drop on your engine battery, it will have you thinking its shot at .Turn off the engine within a second or two , to prevent alternator charge . The battery voltage will bounce backOnly to fully recover to 12.7 within minutes (if a reasonable battery to start with ).