New build Sanlorenzo SL96A 2024

MapisM

Visit site
Is there a reason why you and your brother just didn’t go halves on a superyacht ?
Because they can afford one each, I reckon! :ROFLMAO:
Not sure if there's a strict rule for qualifying boats as superyachts (or not), but that's how I'd call both the Nauta Air 90 and the SL96, anyway!

jfm

Visit site
Bill I see the feeler gauges but I'm not sure what point you're really making. We live in a country or group of countries in which you can do anything you want, unless there is a law stopping you, and let us all rejoice in that.

The law says you can drive a boat up to 23.99m LLL with a private licence, and so if builders make and people like me buy a boat measuring 23.99 m that's entirely rational and within both the spirit and the letter of the law, isn't it? So what exact point or complaint are you making? Life is full of cut offs: you can drive a car here age 17 so is there a feeler gauge point to be made if you go out on the roads on your 17th birthday? Or if you start drawing your pension on your 65th birthday? Or if you go to the pub for a pint with your dad on your 18th birthday? Cut offs are just that, and imho there is no virtue in waiting (per se) until you're 19 years old to have a pint in the pub, just as imho there is no virtue in limiting yourself to say a 23.00m boat instead of a 23.99m.

Sorry if I'm completely missing your feeler gauges point. :)

jfm

Visit site
@jfm will confirm but going larger than 24m means an exponential increase in regulations and paperwork for example "safe manning" regulations and documentation. It would be far too onerous for an owner operator to work under.
The consequences of exceeding the 24m are different depending whether you're talking 24m LLL or 24m LH.

Normally they are in synch eg my Sanlorenzo is under both 24m limits. Occasionally you get a boat that is <24m LLL but >24 LH. (Never the other way around). This CdM is an example, Princess 30M is another example, and i guess there are others. The consequences of that are not too severe: <24m LLL allows a "private licence" skipper to drive the boat, and the >24m LH means the boat won't be CE marked nor have a HIN, and some safety equipment requirements kick in, but on a decent boat classed to RINA or similar you would have all that safety stuff anyway.

The difficult zone for a user like me and plenty on here is going above 24m LLL but staying under 200 tons, which is a licence that is easy to get, but you are then into "safe manning" and all the stuff you refer to, and imho it isn't worth it. With Sanlorenzo for example going this route would allow me to drive a sanlorenzo SL106 instead of SL96, because the 106 is about the largest that can stay under 200t, but the extra hassle doesn't in my mind outweigh the benefits of the extra 10 feet LOA.

billskip

Visit site
@ jfm, no I wasn't being critical at all, my post was (obviously a bad attempt) at what I see as humor, the measurement coming inside the regs by " a feeler gauge"😉

Reactions: jfm

MapisM

Visit site
my Sanlorenzo is under both 24m limits
Just as a folkloristic note (sort of), there's a goof reason for that: for us Italians, it's mandatory to have an IT license for helming in IT waters anything above 10m, regardless of the boat flag and of any other qualifications one might have.
BUT, such license is only valid up to 24m LH (not LLL), and above that it's required another license which is much harder to get.
So, for any Italian planning to use the boat as yourself, it's the LH that really matters.
Though it must be said that most IT boaters would have a captain regardless, at this size...

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Had the same. Can only charge when I am onboard. And battery to be stored in a flame/explosion proof box/bag or something like that.
Yes, that was the gist. Approved charger, must be on board and specific storage instructions.
We might want to go sailing to different places at the same time, and anyways one boat wouldn't have enough cabins. We do share a chaseboat (the Ribeye rib) and a SeaDoo Spark :)
Those Sparks aren’t cheap. I can see why you’d share it.

Made me chuckle….

😂

rwoofer

Visit site
Fascinating to catch up as always. I think there must be very few people in the world like JFM who have the technical mind, the time and the money to do a project like this and be generous enough to share their thinking in such detail. I just watched a video of Adrian Newey talking about his new Oyster 885 and he makes the point that just having the money and time to use a boat is difficult enough!

jfm

Visit site
Yes, that was the gist. Approved charger, must be on board and specific storage instructions.

Those Sparks aren’t cheap. I can see why you’d share it.

Made me chuckle….

😂
😂 me too!

Yup I'm seeing the same on insurers and charging. They seem unfussed about Seabobs because those have a fire-free reputation, but all the other stuff like scooters worries insurers. Word on street seems to be that most of the boat fires we have seen in recent years have been runaway batteries.

I think you need to be careful about insurers slipping in rules that could bite you later. Mine has said charging is ok if on an "approved fire resistant mat". Fine in concept, but I have demanded they specify the exact make and model of mat. I don't want them deciding later that the mat I chose for myself isn't sufficiently "approved". They don't say who must "approve" the mat - it could be the pope for all I know.

jfm

Visit site
Fascinating to catch up as always. I think there must be very few people in the world like JFM who have the technical mind, the time and the money to do a project like this and be generous enough to share their thinking in such detail. I just watched a video of Adrian Newey talking about his new Oyster 885 and he makes the point that just having the money and time to use a boat is difficult enough!
Thanks for the kind words. I watched and enjoyed the Adrian Newey video too - 885 is quite a boat for a first timer, even with his immense engineering knowledge, so chapeau to him on that. I wish I knew him (I worked on F1 for years but on the commercial rights side till Liberty bought it, not the teams side) because I would have loved to give him a few ideas on the 1% of things that Oyster (who seem to be advising him) won't get right. Eg they don't do black water systems properly - the 595 at 2023 SIBS stank of black tank down in the cabins when I was shown around it.

BartW

www.amptec.be
Question: (out of interest)
- Do the MTU engines have a run-in period, or did they do that in the factory ?
- Can you use the boat at full throttle ? did SL do sea trials at max speed ?
- does SL need todo some fine tuning on the prop-pitch ? or do they have enough experience with this model, to set this right from the beginning ?
with your spec, the weight must be on the "upper scale" of the 96A's ?

Bouba

Visit site
Question: (out of interest)
- Do the MTU engines have a run-in period, or did they do that in the factory ?
- Can you use the boat at full throttle ? did SL do sea trials at max speed ?
- does SL need todo some fine tuning on the prop-pitch ? or do they have enough experience with this model, to set this right from the beginning ?
with your spec, the weight must be on the "upper scale" of the 96A's ?
I have refused boat tests because I knew they wouldn’t follow the run in procedures (only outboard boats but the principle is the same)

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
I guess the question is what is a run in period for. In the past it would be to avoid localised excessive heat build up of bits that don’t fit properly or are misaligned but today where generally products are made to exacting tolerances with very capable machines, is this really necessary. The days of new ‘stiff‘ engines are long gone.
On saying all that it would be against my instincts to take a new engine flat out for at least a hundred hours. (OK 50 hrs :) )

Last edited:

Bouba

Visit site
I guess the question is what is a run in period for. In the past it would be to avoid localised excessive heat build up of bits that don’t fit properly or are misaligned but today where generally products are made to exacting tolerances with very capable machines, is this really necessary. The days of new ‘stiff‘ engines are long gone.
My previous Honda outboards required a run in ...but my Cummins diesel didn’t

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
My previous Honda outboards required a run in ...but my Cummins diesel didn’t
Now that’s really interesting since in my career in manufacturing consultancy I would rate the Japanese as the very best manufactures in the world.
For example in the west we tend to use the full “allowance” of a tolerance where the Japanese will aim to continuously improve towards the “best” dimension.

Bouba

Visit site
Now that’s really interesting since in my career in manufacturing consultancy I would rate the Japanese as the very best manufactures in the world.
For example in the west we tend to use the full “allowance” of a tolerance where the Japanese will aim to continuously improve towards the “best” dimension.
To me it doesn’t matter if there is a run in period or not...I always read the manual before I take possession and follow it religiously....