New build Sanlorenzo SL96A 2024

Portofino

Visit site
I don't know if they have changed procedures since ours were installed but they DEFINITELY record all events and report back base in Friedrichshafen when a laptop is connected.
Don't ask me how I know!!!
It will be Telematics .It’s been around a while .One vs is simple download ( annually at service ) of data which is sent back to the factory.Ferrari use this managing there power warranties and 7 yr “ free “ service packages.No matter where in the world a dealer can hook up your car access its history , or with the vin simply take a peak of its historic data stored @ Marenello the factory. All T s + P s and rpm s , hrs + much more +++ etc etc .

The other way is live data ( as well as capturing historic like yours and Ferraris ) and I suspect this is what JFMs boats equipped with that mushroom.It will need registration and consent possibly it’s a warranty stipulation?

Useful if you are a rule taker , not so useful if you are a rule breaker as they can see if you max rpm , WOT it @ uber low oil temps for eg .Defying any warm up periods cracking a ring .Could weaponise the data with a warranty claim .

Digital Solutions

@ JFM how long is the MTU warranty btw ?

Last edited:

Mr Googler

Visit site
Funny you should mention it.
Can't be @rsed to search it, but I'm pretty sure we discussed here that possibility YEARS before anyone engineered that feature (Humphree being eventually the first, I believe).
I also recall to have mentioned it to Mr. AC (the CMC founder) when we met him in Antibes together with BartW for the tuning of his retrofitted stabs, but he didn't think it was worth considering the idea...! :unsure:
What's next, will boatbuilders adopt BodgeFlow and AnCam as standard features? :cool:
I saw a bodgeflow on a new boat video the other day!. I’ll try and find the video

24 mins in. Great video and boat too!IMG_1881.png

Last edited:

MapisM

Visit site
24 mins in. Great video and boat too!
Indeed - I'm flattered by the comparison!
Could have definitely qualified as one of my dream boats, back in the days when I was thinking to go places by boat.
That is, before realizing that life's too short and jetliners are much better at that than any boat.
Hence reverting to plastic fantastic for boating, in nothing less than glorious weather! :cool:

PS: Incidentally, Jack made me smile when in his walkaround said "luxurious touches" to describe the interiors.
Not that I wouldn't be more than happy to swap my tub with that Arksen, of course.
But in the context of this thread, it would be very generous to call those interiors "utilitarian" at best, in comparison...!

Last edited:

Mr Googler

Visit site
Indeed - I'm flattered by the comparison!
Could have definitely qualified as one of my dream boats, back in the days when I was thinking to go places by boat.
That is, before realizing that life's too short and jetliners are much better at that than any boat.
Hence reverting to plastic fantastic for boating, in nothing less than glorious weather! :cool:

PS: Incidentally, Jack made me smile when in his walkaround said "luxurious touches" to describe the interiors.
Not that I wouldn't be more than happy to swap my tub with that Arksen, of course.
But in the context of this thread, it would be very generous to call those interiors "utilitarian" at best, in comparison...!
Nothing 94 scatter cushions, 7 Garmin screens and 11 gps mushrooms couldn’t fix……….too soon? 😁

• Haha
Reactions: MrB

jfm

Visit site
Apologies in advance as I know you have probably shared this but we are now at 42 pages so if I might ask. What is the range at D speed assuming everything running ie generators etc? I know you love to whizz around at P speed 😀 but I was curious how long one could be on board without having to fill up if one wanted to make the fuel last. And is the relationship similar to let’s say the s78 ie you cruise at either 10 knots or 24 ish. Thanks.
I’ll need to do some sea trials obviously to get real data but the baseline data is along the lines of 27-28 litres/nm fast (22-25 kts say) and much less at D speed. As you know each extra knot at D speed adds a lot of fuel burn - the graph is nothing like as horizontal as when you’re at P speed. But it will be something like 14 litres/nm at say 12 knots delivery trip speed. A generator needs to be on all the time and depending on load that will consume say 10litres/hour.

Tank is 10250 litres.

So there’s no getting away from quite big fuel burn and small range with Italian P boats. Italian builders seem not to love big fuel tanks as I’ve mentuoned on here before. For comparison a princess y95 has 14,000 litres, but as we all know every boat choice involves some compromises.

Bottom line is 300nm range at P speed, allowing for generator use and 1000 litres reserve. (Obvs you don’t do 20% reserve on a modern boat with accurate fuel metering and full time internet weather forecasting). 300 miles is ok for me in that it allows Antibes/Mallorca and Antibes/Sardinia at P speed without any worry.

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
So there’s no getting away from quite big fuel burn and small range with Italian P boats. Italian builders seem not to love big fuel tanks as I’ve mentuoned on here before. For comparison a princess y95 has 14,000 litres, but as we all know every boat choice involves some compromises.
This was not the case, say about a decade ago as I remember it.

I also think the Y95 had a lot of range input from Viking who is the USA dealers of Princess, and its possible they factored an important range of use for a SF client who might come from a sportfish Viking 60 something which usually has a range of about 500 nautical miles at about thirty knots.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
I’ll need to do some sea trials obviously to get real data but the baseline data is along the lines of 27-28 litres/nm fast (22-25 kts say) and much less at D speed. As you know each extra knot at D speed adds a lot of fuel burn - the graph is nothing like as horizontal as when you’re at P speed. But it will be something like 14 litres/nm at say 12 knots delivery trip speed. A generator needs to be on all the time and depending on load that will consume say 10litres/hour.

Tank is 10250 litres.

Bottom line is 300nm range at P speed, allowing for generator use and 1000 litres reserve. (Obvs you don’t do 20% reserve on a modern boat with accurate fuel metering and full time internet weather forecasting). 300 miles is ok for me in that it allows Antibes/Mallorca and Antibes/Sardinia at P speed without any worry.
Maybe one possible solution for extended cruising would be to hook up with a family member who has a boat berthed nearby with a colossal fuel tank, who could act as a bunker vessel... ? Oh, hang on...

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
I’ve seen boats of this size backing all the way into Bonefacio Marina from the sea.
Now there’s a challenge for 2025 ! :)
A 100ft boat might just be able to do a three point turn down the bottom. I’m guessing the boat in the pic is twice that.

Bonifacio Marina

Last edited:

jfm

Visit site
I’ve seen boats of this size backing all the way into Bonefacio Marina from the sea.
A 100ft boat might just be able to do a three point turn down the bottom. I’m guessing the boat in the pic is twice that.

Bonifacio Marina
Haha yes they only insist on you entering bonifacio backwards from about 40 metres upwards. I'll be able to do a 180 degree spin at the berth in a mere 30m machine :). Besides, I prefer the quai d'honneur, halfway along the calanque, under the citadel - as you can see there is a strip of a dozen 30-40m berths there.

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
Haha yes they only insist on you entering bonifacio backwards from about 40 metres upwards. I'll be able to do a 180 degree spin at the berth in a mere 30m machine :). Besides, I prefer the quai d'honneur, halfway along the calanque, under the citadel - as you can see there is a strip of a dozen 30-40m berths there.
Ah yes I remember passing the quai d’honneur but managed (with a bit of bribery) to get a berth down the bottom both times (37 ft so don‘t need to plan ahead so much)
It‘s one of my favourite marinas along with Porto Cervo.

dunedin

Visit site
With full controls replicated at the stern quarter, and bow and stern thrusters, is it any more difficult reversing in than coming in forwards?

Plenty of much smaller saily boats that in some conditions are easier to reverse all the way in than try to turn :)

jfm

Visit site
With full controls replicated at the stern quarter, and bow and stern thrusters, is it any more difficult reversing in than coming in forwards?

Plenty of much smaller saily boats that in some conditions are easier to reverse all the way in than try to turn :)
Yes, it's just as easy to drive astern as ahead. However Bonifacio is incredibly busy and entering the port is like driving a car on a roundabout in rush hour Naples - for that reason it seems better to me to have other boats be in no doubt about which direction you want to travel in, hence I would prefer to enter the port going ahead than astern.

vas

Visit site
Maybe one possible solution for extended cruising would be to hook up with a family member who has a boat berthed nearby with a colossal fuel tank, who could act as a bunker vessel... ? Oh, hang on...
would love to see that!
press a button on the CdM and out of the aft deck a full proper fuel pump with hoses and nozzle rises to serve the SL :cool:
On a serious note, how would such a thing work? You'd need high output pump hooked up to the tank and lots of messy thick hose to go to the other vessel messing all the lovely teak and polished ss, nah!

V.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
would love to see that!
press a button on the CdM and out of the aft deck a full proper fuel pump with hoses and nozzle rises to serve the SL :cool:
On a serious note, how would such a thing work? You'd need high output pump hooked up to the tank and lots of messy thick hose to go to the other vessel messing all the lovely teak and polished ss, nah!

V.
.deleted. Sorry not right

jfm

Visit site
The CdM already has a transfer pump and long hose coiled up in engine room, for filling diesel tenders. Just need to fit a litres meter then a 6m extension hose, and will be good to go.

Forum hasn't been updated: my brother (poster Silver Dee) has just bought a beautiful 28m Cantiere delle Marche (their Nauta Air series) fast displacement yacht, with 24000 litres fuel tank, so can refuel me at anchor if we raft up :) His Aquastar 74, by far the best one in the Aquastar 74 series, is about to be put on the market (at I think £645k). Will make a new thread on the Cantiere delle Marche soon.