New build Sanlorenzo SL96A 2024

benjenbav

Visit site
Thanks Hurricane - I remember your original post years ago and it's nice to see all that again.

These days they don't use "CR" in the engine name. Yours are called 8V2000 M72 or M74 these days, and mine are called 16V2000 M96. On the 16V version, the M93 and M96 denote tier 2 and tier 3 versions of the 2434hp version respectively, but that isn't true of other models. Eg 8V2000 M72 and M74 are both tier 2, 16V2000M86 is 2216 hp tier 3; 16V2000M96 is 2400 hp tier 3 (mine); and 16V2000M96L is the 2600hp tier 3 version. Also, as those 3 names show, some but not all models have an extra letter on the end (in this 16V case, the L).

Not sure i see much logic in all that but perhaps there is some.

@DavidJ, yes it's a pushrod engine - central gear driven camshaft. Nothing unusual about that - it's a 2450rpm engine. Cat32 and 32B, MAN2000, Cummins QSK50 and other QSKs, Baudouin 12 are all the same and that pretty much covers every plausible engine in the 2000-2600hp zone.
For this sort of engine size, were there any realistic alternatives to MTU?

jfm

Visit site
For this sort of engine size, were there any realistic alternatives to MTU?
Nothing from MAN above 2000hp, and they are a bit "light" for my liking anyway when you get to 2,000hp.

Cat C32B at 2400hp is a beautiful thing and a very serious alternative. Brand new re-work of the old C32, itself a very fine engine, but a new model and there wasn't time to re-work the engine room to fit it. If I were building this boat again i would look hard at C32B possibility.

Cummins QSK series - left field, quite big, would kill resale value imho because such a rare installation, etc.

Baudouin 12 isn't seriously on any list of mine - bit of a museum piece imho.

So, no real alternative until Cat C32B becomes a bit more widespread. MTU have this bit of the market to themselves, which might perhaps contribute to there being very little change from €1.5m/pair. :)

MapisM

Visit site
If I were building this boat again i would look hard at C32B possibility.
I'm well aware that what I'm going to suggest is left field to the point of making Cummins QSK a very sensible choice :oops:, and also that some naval architecture redesign of the boat would be required, but here's a thought.
What about a single shaft, powered by a (relatively) small engine, for long distance cruising at D speed?
Awfully boring, I hear you saying - and I couldn't argue with that.
Not to mention that for those who don't mind taking forever to get nowhere, there's already plenty of Nordhavns and the likes to choose from.

Then again, the boat could have also a pair of larger "booster" engines, mated to waterjets.
Turnkey-ready for making the boat jump on the plane and cruise even faster than she normally can, without introducing too much drag during single screw slow cruising - how cool is that? :cool:

BTW, it's a concept already adopted in some fast patrol boats of similar size, just reversed - sort of.
I'm talking of the so-called Class 200 of IT Coast Guard: powered by three Isotta Fraschini engines (no less!), with shafts on the external engines and waterjet on the central one, used only as a booster.
These boats cruise either at 20+ kts on props alone, or 30 on props+waterjet, but of course that's a choice triggered by law enforcement operations.
In pleasure boats, I think it would make much more sense to reverse the logic, because optimizing the powerplant for either a fast or a faster cruising speed is neither here nor there.
But optimizing either D (for economical and uber-quiet transfers) or P speed (for anchorage hopping, beating weather, etc.) could make good sense, imho.

jfm

Visit site
Nice idea, though I think the D speed prop would just become drag when the jets are running at P speed.

I think i need to experiment and see how much I like D speed in this size boat.

I would really like 2 main diesels, two gensets (just like this boat will have) but with an electric motor/alternator on each shaft. Then at D speed I can run just one big diesel to drive both shafts and run the hotel load. Instead of three diesel engines. As a concept this isn't new and has been talked about plenty, and a few prototypes built, but in the real world you can't buy it. I tried but the answer is that it isn't ready yet. Next time...

MapisM

Visit site
Nice idea, though I think the D speed prop would just become drag when the jets are running at P speed.
Variable pitch (and/or two speeds transmission) could address that, I suppose.
But of course, it takes a fairly high risk propension for taking this, your, or any other route completely off the beaten path.
And that's without even considering design, development & test costs!
If at SL they say they aren't ready yet for this stuff, who else can be, realistically...? :unsure:

PS: regardless of all armchair elucubrations, my bet is that you won't like cruise at D speed on this boat, you'll LOVE it.
With her inherent stability, plus oversized fins, and engines running at laughably low RPM, she's bound to be beyond comfortable and pleasant!

Last edited:

dunedin

Visit site
I'm well aware that what I'm going to suggest is left field to the point of making Cummins QSK a very sensible choice :oops:, and also that some naval architecture redesign of the boat would be required, but here's a thought.
What about a single shaft, powered by a (relatively) small engine, for long distance cruising at D speed?
Awfully boring, I hear you saying - and I couldn't argue with that.
Not to mention that for those who don't mind taking forever to get nowhere, there's already plenty of Nordhavns and the likes to choose from.

Then again, the boat could have also a pair of larger "booster" engines, mated to waterjets.
Turnkey-ready for making the boat jump on the plane and cruise even faster than she normally can, without introducing too much drag during single screw slow cruising - how cool is that? :cool:

BTW, it's a concept already adopted in some fast patrol boats of similar size, just reversed - sort of.
I'm talking of the so-called Class 200 of IT Coast Guard: powered by three Isotta Fraschini engines (no less!), with shafts on the external engines and waterjet on the central one, used only as a booster.
These boats cruise either at 20+ kts on props alone, or 30 on props+waterjet, but of course that's a choice triggered by law enforcement operations.
In pleasure boats, I think it would make much more sense to reverse the logic, because optimizing the powerplant for either a fast or a faster cruising speed is neither here nor there.
But optimizing either D (for economical and uber-quiet transfers) or P speed (for anchorage hopping, beating weather, etc.) could make good sense, imho.
I suspect we will see a variant of this concept increasingly. Rather than another diesel engine for Displacement mode, I think we will start to see electric hybrids. An electric drive for getting in and out of harbour in silent mode, and able to run for huge distances in displacement mode very economically In serial hybrid / diesel electric fashion - ie using generators running at optimum revs to feed the electric drive. Cruise ships with huge domestic power demands already do this.
And very easy to lift or fold the D mode prop when the big beasts get fired up (sailing boats have had folding or lifting propellers for over a century).

jfm

Visit site
I suspect we will see a variant of this concept increasingly. Rather than another diesel engine for Displacement mode, I think we will start to see electric hybrids. An electric drive for getting in and out of harbour in silent mode, and able to run for huge distances in displacement mode very economically In serial hybrid / diesel electric fashion - ie using generators running at optimum revs to feed the electric drive. Cruise ships with huge domestic power demands already do this.
And very easy to lift or fold the D mode prop when the big beasts get fired up (sailing boats have had folding or lifting propellers for over a century).
That has been in plenty of ~60m+ superyachts for over a decade. You see plenty of big yachts with 8 chimneys at the top of the stack- one for each diesel engine. As more speed is needed, you switch on another engine, and the prop shafts themselves are spun by electric motors.

Alas there is no way (in practice) to buy anything like that in a 20-24-30m boat, yet. I tried! Check out this page from MTU. The 2000 series is what you would have in a 24/30/35m boat - see the size of the electric motor/alternator on the back of the engine. No mainstream boatbuilder is offering fit that yet, in this size category.

See also this video. It's 4 years old, yet sunseeker have still not really introduced this as an option. They only built that one - the 115 called Mr K Iriston (iirc). I'm told it adds a bout €1m to the cost of the boat, but plenty of customers would be happy with that so that isn't the problem/cause of the delay in this becoming more widespread.

So it's a great concept but you can't actually buy it yet.

Last edited:

benjenbav

Visit site
That has been in plenty of ~60m+ superyachts for over a decade. You see plenty of big yachts with 8 chimneys at the top of the stack- one for each diesel engine. As more speed is needed, you switch on another engine, and the prop shafts themselves are spun by electric motors.

Alas there is no way (in practice) to buy anything like that in a 20-24-30m boat, yet. I tried! Check out this page from MTU. The 2000 series is what you would have in a 24/30/35m boat - see the size of the electric motor/alternator on the back of the engine. No mainstream boatbuilder is offering fit that yet, in this size category.

See also this video. It's 4 years old, yet sunseeker have still not really introduced this as an option. They only built that one - the 115 called Mr K Iriston (iirc). I'm told it adds a bout €1m to the cost of the boat, but plenty of customers would be happy with that so that isn't the problem/cause of the delay in this becoming more widespread.

So it's a great concept but you can't actually buy it yet.
At a much smaller engine size Leo Goolden has put a Betamarine hybrid unit in his epic project, Tally Ho.
Heat Exchanger Hybrid Propulsion - Beta Marine Propulsion Engines

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Volvo are getting into this game too, there is a newly announced variant of the Volvo IPS system that can utilise an Electric and Diesel combo, one / other / both. OK so IPS, but means we could well see this in a ‘leisure’ class boat within a year or two.

Configs also support two diesel engines or two electric motors.

1708620168453.png

Last edited:

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
Volvo are getting into this game too, there is a newly announced variant of the Volvo IPS system that can utilise an Electric and Diesel combo, one / other / both. OK so IPS, but means we could well see this in a ‘leisure’ class boat within a year or two.

Configs also support two diesel engines or two electric motors.

View attachment 172769
While the Volvo concept is interesting, I see it very lazy and complicated, especially in the double engine per propulsion configuration.

I know that they where working on a D16 (Scania block if I remember well)1200hp plus, but Volvo's investments have been mostly around propulsion in the last two decades.

MTU was left alone in this cake, with Cat entering now into the scene with the C32B. Also Man started offering something like Volvo before them, and so far it is not a success.
I have not seen or heard they fitted to something yet.

jfm

Visit site
I've been a bit slow, sorry! There will be more news in a few weeks. Sea trials are underway (they do more than one) and everything is going well. Some detailed parts of the build are still being finished. I'm flying down next week and will be on board Thursday/Friday, and I'll get some pictures then. Delivery to me is scheduled for a couple of weeks later (mid April) but could slip a bit.

Meantime here are a few pics of the Williams tender mods that have been going on. It's a Sportjet 435, with the bigger 130hp engine and all the useful options, in exactly the same orca/teak deck/ silvertex as the Ribeye so they will be a matching pair. I like the boat very much having had one on charter last summer, but I'm not loving Williams themselves. They have made the tubes in the wrong colour so the tubes have to be changed, when the correct ones arrive, which is delaying the lorry taking it to Italy. Also Williams are a big waste of time if you want any customisation: they will say "maybe" to customisation requests, but then after months they said a flat "no" which left me with less time than I should have had to find an alternative solution. Painful.

Picture below is supposed to be a render of mine, though the teak is the wrong colour and the beige gelcoat and tubes should be cold white (with grey as shown in the render). So as well as not building the actual tubes in the correct colour, the rendered tubes are wrong too - at least they are consistent. The orange seats are correct, at least.
Rendering-1353-435-S-BCU-ISO-02.png

I want a MFD with all the usual features including linked VHF, proper echo sounder using bronze transducer, etc. Alas Williams can't/won't do this in any acceptable way on the 435 - below pics show their MFD option which is absolutely hideous. Exposed wiring and a horrible "mount on a pole" concept, urgh. I can scarcely believe this is the best they can do in 2024 on a £70k boat.
Dashmods-Williams-option-1.jpg

Dashmods-Williams-option-2.jpg

Dashmods-Williams-OPtion-3.png

So Alan at Essex Boatyards premises, who is an great guy and can work plenty of magic with GRP, kindly undertook a dashboard mod for me. First they had to strip the dash down to get to the bare GRP moulding, then Alan made a wooden plug as shown below. This is all to my design - I wanted the MFD sticking out sideways in a pod, so leaving the step's full surface below still accessible to feet as you step onto the boat. The teak isn't a seat, it's only a step - see render above. First few pics are the original dash close up. This is another boat, not mine, also with the Williams plotter option fitted, and also showing the horrible Carling switches that I also wanted to get rid of:
Dashmods-original-1.jpg

Dashmods-original-2.jpg

Dashmods-original-3.jpg

Dashmods-original-4.jpg

The picture below shows the wooden plug that Alan made:
Dashmods-plug-1.jpg

Dashmods-plug-2.jpg

Next below are various pictures of work in progress. The VHF aerial is concealed inside the helm unit, and will work fine because GRP is pretty transparent to VHF. Tom Pringle at Boats.co.uk did all the assembly and wiring very professionally:
Dashmods-WIP-1.jpg

Dashmods-WIP-2.jpg

Dashmods-WIP-3.jpg

Dashmods-WIP-4.jpg

Dashmods-WIP-5-VHF.jpg

Finally the pics below show finished job. GRP work is perfect. The pod is very strong so wouldn't break even if you stood on it. VHF antenna is hidden as above. VHF curly wire disappears into a round brush seal. Dimensions are nice and tight so the pod is barely bigger than the MFD (a 7 inch Garmin) and the step is only interrupted to the tune of 3 planks worth of teak so works perfectly well for stepping into the boat. As ever Essex Boatyards / Boats.co.uk and their great (on site but independent) Alan came up with the goods again :)
I need to sort out labelling for the two new halo switches (deck moodlights and Lumishore underwater lights) but that will be easy enough when I get round to it.
Dashmods-finished-1.jpg

Dashmods-finished-2.jpg

Last edited:

MapisM

Visit site
with the bigger 130hp engine
What's the rated RPM of that thing?
It's the 10k scale of the tacho that made me wondering, that's in racing engines league! :oops:

Fantastic tender anyhow, I'm sure it'll make you forget the painful experience with Williams, eventually! (y)