New build Sanlorenzo SL96A 2024

jfm

Visit site
It does look as though the screens block the view out but I bet there is a load of AR (Augmented Reality) built into the electronics.
It does look like that Mike but, first, they will be lowered by 50mm, and second, even in this higher position they don't block the view. At the helm, you can see over them and see the bottom of the glass windscreen. Photo is taken from behind the helm chair so it looks blocked when actually isn't.

Portofino

Visit site
It does look like that Mike but, first, they will be lowered by 50mm, and second, even in this higher position they don't block the view. At the helm, you can see over them and see the bottom of the glass windscreen. Photo is taken from behind the helm chair so it looks blocked when actually isn't.
But the photo is taken higher up thus giving a better view out than the sitting lower helm person .So as you the viewer goes lower the net effect is the screen go up more , obscuring the near ( most important) view greater .No ones interested in stuff 10 miles away , or 2 miles for that matter .You still have time to avoid a collision .

Scuse the drawing but I have used two ( blue) head s different heights .The red lines the sight lines .

Point is this the lower you go the less vis out !
F9BFE7F5-A285-43CA-920E-DA438F8EE42E.jpeg

Even with a 5 cm drop imho theres a huge near vis out issue from a safety pov

Alternatively did you consider drop down from the ceiling ? Leaving a bigger fwd aperture , much lower thus better vis out ?
The Priny pic version looks safer imho .Do you have an image of the SL stock dash for a better comparison?

Alternative 2 , HUD by speaking to hi end car Co s or mil aircraft manufacturers eg BAE syatems ?
That way there would just be a clear vertical one piece see through screen ….could be curved even whereby projectors mounted in the dash top ( out of sight line ) throw up the image(s) .All configurable of course.

Having said all this I am well aware most Med folk helm from the outside anyhow , and in the busiest times ( summer School hols ) it’s the warmest . Irony is you are not gonna be seated on the lower helm much anyhow .Just as well entering Antibes 😏.

Last edited:

jfm

Visit site
Porto your lines are all over the place, and the seat is electric up/down and in far too low position in that photo. It wasn't powered up so I couldn't move it.

Everything will be set up so you can see the bow of the boat above the screens thereby having zero impact on close proximity view forward - don't worry.

No, I did not consider hanging the MFD screens from the ceiling at any point, and nor will I be doing that - not a good idea.

Below is the stock dash (grabbed from internet). Seat is motored to higher position than in my pic above. Screens are raymarine 16inch, rather than my 22 inch, and are set at the right height (unlike mine, in the picture above, which is pre-set up). Looking forward to more coloured lines drawn with your big toe :)

stock-dash.jpg

Last edited:

vas

Visit site
I guess that if John is ever going to helm from downstairs, it's going to be either because it's night and cold, or a storm or something major. In these cases I bet he's mostly going to be looking on the screens...

I see the lower helm layout (which as a designer I love btw!) as brilliant for a realistically helmed from the f/b beautifully detailed boat. These screens are a work of art!
well done John and SL team!

cheers

V.

Portofino

Visit site
Porto your lines are all over the place, and the seat is electric up/down and in far too low position in that photo. It wasn't powered up so I couldn't move it.

Everything will be set up so you can see the bow of the boat above the screens thereby having zero impact on close proximity view forward - don't worry.

No, I did not consider hanging the MFD screens from the ceiling at any point, and nor will I be doing that - not a good idea.

Below is the stock dash (grabbed from internet). Seat is motored to higher position than in my pic above. Screens are raymarine 16inch, rather than my 22 inch, and are set at the right height (unlike mine, in the picture above, which is pre-set up). Looking forward to more coloured lines drawn with your big toe :)

stock-dash.jpg
No problem 👍

Here you are .
This works obviously.

F8AB1B7C-3784-40A6-9954-655B20E546F8.jpeg
Left foot this time 😀

j24jam

Visit site
What a special moment, super yacht splashing with Pavarotti blasting!

Important question which everyones missed... did the bottle of fizz smash!?

Congratulations - looks fantastic.

paradave

Visit site
Porto - you are either picking an argument for the sake of it or don't understand the concept that a photograph isn't an exact facsimile of what the eye sees.

Look at the attention to detail in this thread, do you genuinely think JFM would obscure his vision with a bank of monitors and not realise? Do you then think that someone drawing some lines on a picture would make him see it differently?

You're unbelievable in your self belief and need to be right.

MapisM

Visit site
Thanks jfm for sharing what must have been a memorable moment! (y)

Ref. the debate on screens position, I honestly don't get it, for two reasons:
First, it's not like at SL they are at their first rodeo, so regardless of any photo I am absolutely sure that they would never deliver this or any other boat with a helm visibility which isn't more than good enough.
Second, I don't think it really matters - or not as much as we are used to think it does, anyway.
In fact, in a boat like this, the choice of the internal helm will always be dictated by poor weather conditions.
And in any kind of poor weather, I'd rather count on such impressive set on instruments than on Mk1 eyeball every day of the week, and twice on Sunday.
To the point of possibly maneuvering by instruments even for berthing - though that will always be handled from an external station anyhow, of course.
The only reason why most of us (myself included) are used to think that eyeball is always better is that we don't even imagine what a modern multiscreen helm can provide.

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Absolutely thrilled for you. Great to see her where nature intended and starting to come to life.

One of the downsides of a forum like this is there’s lots of debate from thousands of miles away. Where you’re standing there it either works or it doesn’t and you say it does. So it does. From an asthetic perspective I like the look of the screens.

You’ve obviously got gargantuan volume to play with so it will seem very generous inside. Plenty of space for design pieces over and above the mandatory scatter cushions. Do you have any artwork? This is a proper super yacht but with a human and personal feel to it.

I look forward to seeing you enjoy her over the coming season.You’ve got a lot of learning to do but its good fun learning rather than a chore.

🙂😎

Portofino

Visit site
Porto - you are either picking an argument for the sake of it or don't understand the concept that a photograph isn't an exact facsimile of what the eye sees.

Look at the attention to detail in this thread, do you genuinely think JFM would obscure his vision with a bank of monitors and not realise? Do you then think that someone drawing some lines on a picture would make him see it differently?

You're unbelievable in your self belief and need to be right.
Answering your Q s .I count three ? But please further fire away if I have missed any . Rude or otherwise “Dave “
No
No
No .

It was simple parallax ….the red lines .

jfm

Visit site
Thanks jfm for sharing what must have been a memorable moment! (y)

Ref. the debate on screens position, I honestly don't get it, for two reasons:
First, it's not like at SL they are at their first rodeo, so regardless of any photo I am absolutely sure that they would never deliver this or any other boat with a helm visibility which isn't more than good enough.
Second, I don't think it really matters - or not as much as we are used to think it does, anyway.
In fact, in a boat like this, the choice of the internal helm will always be dictated by poor weather conditions.
And in any kind of poor weather, I'd rather count on such impressive set on instruments than on Mk1 eyeball every day of the week, and twice on Sunday.
To the point of possibly maneuvering by instruments even for berthing - though that will always be handled from an external station anyhow, of course.
The only reason why most of us (myself included) are used to think that eyeball is always better is that we don't even imagine what a modern multiscreen helm can provide.
Yup to all that (and to Paradave's comments). To repeat, those screens are not in their final position - they will be lower when finished (they are not even wired up in that picture). And also the helm chair isn't yet powered up so is at its lowest position which isn't how it will normally be. The helmsman will definitely be able to see out. :)

Last edited:

jfm

Visit site
Absolutely thrilled for you. Great to see her where nature intended and starting to come to life.

One of the downsides of a forum like this is there’s lots of debate from thousands of miles away. Where you’re standing there it either works or it doesn’t and you say it does. So it does. From an asthetic perspective I like the look of the screens.

You’ve obviously got gargantuan volume to play with so it will seem very generous inside. Plenty of space for design pieces over and above the mandatory scatter cushions. Do you have any artwork? This is a proper super yacht but with a human and personal feel to it.

I look forward to seeing you enjoy her over the coming season.You’ve got a lot of learning to do but its good fun learning rather than a chore.

🙂😎
Thanks Henry. There will be a bit of nice artwork - some Liverpudlian. Ask me in Dusseldorf :)
Correct about lots of learning - complex systems to learn, and there will be times when things are tight manoeuvring in a marina on a windy day. But all good fun as you say.

ICTM

Visit site
jfm said:
Thanks Henry. There will be a bit of nice artwork - some Liverpudlian.

Personally I think Col’s artwork above was most impressive, guest VIP perhaps 🤔 🙂
She looks fantastic JFM, as others have said thanks very much for sharing this with us.

Whopper

Visit site
Looks amazing. What sort of monitoring system is in place? I think you had Maretron in the past on the Fairline(s). Apologies if it’s covered already.

paradave

Visit site
I’ve got a couple of mundane questions for jfm or anyone else who knows….
There must be so many systems on board, presumably this isn’t like a smaller boat where you step aboard, turn the battery isolaters and fire it up.

Is the boat constantly powered up as such and, if not, how long before stepping aboard before you can move off? Trying to get my head round all the systems powering up….must be quite a big operation.