New build Sanlorenzo SL96A 2024

jfm

Visit site
Looks amazing. What sort of monitoring system is in place? I think you had Maretron in the past on the Fairline(s). Apologies if it’s covered already.
Actually there is no Maretron on this boat, even though their gear is great. Engine monitoring comes from MTUs j1939 canbus which is now plugged straight into Garmin without any adaptor being needed. Tank monitoring is all N2k. Everything is digitally switched so the system knows what valves are open/closed and what pumps are running. Everything is displayed graphically on Garmin screens using the usual digital switching graphics, customised for the boat with GAs and images etc. Generators and all lighting are controlled from the Garmin screens. Every porthole has an open/closed sensor which saves time when going to sea. I'll get some screenshots later

jfm

Visit site
I vaguely remember a literally "hairy" discussion a few years back on the use of bidets on sea :rolleyes: (not going to search for it but if you put Vilebrequin and Porto you'll probably get there reasonably quickly 😁 )
let's say that some ppl use them and I guess it's part of the inventory not worth removing in such a large bathroom...
I had just managed to unremeber that post, and now you mention it again... 😳😳

jfm

Visit site
So....are they in every bathroom ?
No. due to space constraints. Owner's bathroom has separate bidet; all others have bidet integrated into the normal WC. There is lever on the side to operate the jet, that controls flow and hot/cold water mix.

GA of guest cabin deck is below - you could fit bidets but something else would have to give, so I didn't do it.
GA-lower-v25.jpg

jfm

Visit site
Stunning boat - I know I should be looking at the mechanical and electrical systems but the photos in #723 do it for me....!

I hope the seakeeping is as good as she looks - what great fun JFM will have getting to really know her for the next year or two...!
I'll get some mechanical systems pics soon John. Engine room is nice!

jfm

Visit site
Huge Congratulation on the Launch, she looks absolutely stunning.

Little question, I see 2 cameras mounted to the underneath of the cockpit canopy, they seem quite far forward, are these to assist you when docking, if so would they not be better further aft, as they look as though they might be obscured a bit, or are they just for monitoring passengers on board!?View attachment 171000

Kirsty and Callum are great thanks, Callum is 18 now and keeping well, and now working full time in the Marine industry at a local marina. We currently have a 38’ Yacht and a small Rib, we can’t keep him off the boats!! (Which is a great complaint!)
I hope you’re all keeping well?

Cheers.
Alistairr.

PS I think the Helm looks amazing and will work well.😀
Hi Alistair.
That's all nice to hear. Funny how boats/love of sea is passed on generation to generation - I would not be here now doing all this if we had not lived near the coat when I was a kid and if my mom/dad had not bought a few outboard powered boats for us all. Same with your Callum I bet.

Cameras. There are 9 altogether. Three are on the ceiling on the aft deck - the one at your blue arrow, another the same on port side, and one on centreline that you can just see under the ensign staff. The centre camera is to see the tender or towed chase boat, and the port side is to see people coming on the passerelle, and the starboard side is for nothing much. Maybe they could be used for docking if anyone wanted, but when I'm docking in the med, I stand on the aft deck holding a remote control so I can see everything aft with eyes not camera..

There are two cameras on the sides marked with red arrow below to help with docking, looking down and aft. Helps me see the gap to the next boat when berthing med style, I think.

IMG-0904.jpg

Then there is a camera in hard top ceiling on flybridge, at front above helmsman, looking aft. This helps me see stuff blowing away on windy days and helps crew see when meals are finished. Finally there's one camera in engine room, and one on each anchor, making 9 altogether.

Elessar

Visit site
Hi Alistair.
That's all nice to hear. Funny how boats/love of sea is passed on generation to generation - I would not be here now doing all this if we had not lived near the coat when I was a kid and if my mom/dad had not bought a few outboard powered boats for us all. Same with your Callum I bet.

Cameras. There are 9 altogether. Three are on the ceiling on the aft deck - the one at your blue arrow, another the same on port side, and one on centreline that you can just see under the ensign staff. The centre camera is to see the tender or towed chase boat, and the port side is to see people coming on the passerelle, and the starboard side is for nothing much. Maybe they could be used for docking if anyone wanted, but when I'm docking in the med, I stand on the aft deck holding a remote control so I can see everything aft with eyes not camera..

There are two cameras on the sides marked with red arrow below to help with docking, looking down and aft. Helps me see the gap to the next boat when berthing med style, I think.

IMG-0904.jpg

Then there is a camera in hard top ceiling on flybridge, at front above helmsman, looking aft. This helps me see stuff blowing away on windy days and helps crew see when meals are finished. Finally there's one camera in engine room, and one on each anchor, making 9 altogether.
I’ve seen TV outside broadcasts with fewer. You need to get Bart to add a vision mixing desk and you can do “below deck live”.

Hurricane

Visit site
9 cameras - I only have 6 but not all of them are fixed. Some are plugged in when we leave the boat as security cameras.

I have one on the radar arch mast which is attached with cable ties because we didn't think it would be much use.
In fact it has been well used so I am thinking of a proper mount for it.
That camera's lens picked up some muck this winter so SWMBO climbed up there this morning and cleaned it.
Here's a pic nice and sunny today - we are here for a few days to get away from the YUK UK weather.
Untitled.jpg

paradave

Visit site
Trying to catch up on replies - been away a few days.

The systems are way more complex than say a typical FairPrinSeek 75 footer in that there is 24v, emergency 24v, 230v single phase, 400v tri-phase, 3 independent bilge pump systems, 3 fuel tanks, and so on, but actually that's all much easier than it sounds. Everything is digitally switched from Garmin screens with helpful graphic displays (eg of icemaker water flow, fuel transfer flow, all a bit like an EV dashboard with animated arrows etc). There is back up manual switching of course. So you can leave the dock at 15 minutes notice for a fair weather trip, if you know what you're doing.

A boat like this does have to be constantly powered up 365 days on the dock or at sea. So the batteries are never isolated, and the chargers run all winter. Perhaps the biggest difference from a smaller boat is that 400v 3Ph is required all the time, so a generator is always running at sea. If both generators fail it will still work because all fuel transfer and fluid systems. and the steering, have 24v back up, but basically a generator runs from the moment you leave the dock to the moment you return, which is fine and actually is how I ran the Squadron 78s because once you have stabilisation and airco you need a generator on anyways.
Really interesting! Thanks for explaining!

dunedin

Visit site
JFM - your boat is the main news for San Lorenzo!

San Lorenzo SL96A launches
Looks great - and lovely quote “By the time the contract was signed, the owner of the SL96A had itemised 411 custom modifications outside the standard options list, and this number has now broken the 500, maybe even 600, barrier.
Clearly kept them on their toes JFM :)

jfm

Visit site
Yup! They are very good at handling all this because they build so few boats and are used to it. "They" being both the UK SL agent and the factory in Italy.
Thing is, 600 items is easy. When you are free to choose which taps, showers, kitchen appliances, WCs, which exact TVs, fire systems, furniture layouts, which sofas from Minotti/B+B/etc catalogues, lighting layouts, edge/shadow lighting choices, mooring equipment/winches/etc, AV and internet install, caulk colour, the shape of all flybridge furniture, every element of the nav package, which surface finish for most surfaces (wood veneer, paint, leather, marble, slats, mirror, etc), you soon get to 600 items, and that's counting things like the navigation equipment list as one line item!

Portofino

Visit site
By the way, for anyone interested in nav gear here is the 99% final schematic (if attaching a PDF works on here...) (edit - it didnt becuase the PDF was 3.4Mb, so I've tried a jpg, which alas might not be easy to read)
This image is easier to understand 🤗I am alone in wondering how its all going to work ?

E91E021D-7C68-48A3-B970-AA83AF0746BA.jpeg

benjenbav

Visit site
This image is easier to understand 🤗I am alone in wondering how its all going to work ?

View attachment 171836
I’m not sure how this image belongs on a thread originated by an owner/captain who’s been keeping 80 footers off the rocks for 10 years or so - and 60 footers before that - with the assistance of similar nav gear to that chosen for his new 100 footer?

MapisM

Visit site
This image is easier to understand 🤗 I am alone in wondering how its all going to work ?
View attachment 171836
Fabio Buzzi and two out of his three crew mates died crashing their boat at night against a dam in Venice.
All of them had decades of experience, and were serial endurance record holders, used to the worst conditions.
At the helm of a law enforcement boat, equipped with all sort of military grade electronics.

Good thing that google didn't bring you to a photo of their boat, with similar comments added by some jerk who knows nothing about what really happened. Your post associating that pic to how jfm is equipping his vessel is already offensive enough as it is. (n)

PS: just for the records, IIRC in the Florida accident of your photo there were no casualties, but someone was indeed seriously injuried.

Last edited:

Portofino

Visit site
I’m not sure how this image belongs on a thread originated by an owner/captain who’s been keeping 80 footers off the rocks for 10 years or so - and 60 footers before that - with the assistance of similar nav gear to that chosen for his new 100 footer?
Well the boat L is set for amateurs @ LLL 24 M that’s none negotiable.We know the official LLL is heavily manipulated ( legally ) by builders , thats the easy bit to quantify and been admirably done by SL .

Crew levels and crew qualifications are variable .Another ft over the LLL cut off and the transgression to professional skipper legally needs to be done .
Where should a line ( no pun intended) be drawn for skippers ?

Bear in mind other crew ( if I understood what’s been previously written by JFM correctly) are being used / hired .Permanent and seasonal.

Does loadsa kit mitigate this ? Assist amateurs enough with safety that’s all , that’s only the Dir of debate I meant to wonder down .Worthy discussion.No criticism intended never is btw .It’s a bloody big boat in the flesh a huge step up from a 78 ftr size and sophistication wise .Hardly a tiny increment .

Most this size in the Med are professionally skippered .

@ MapishM, nothing personal intended .Indeed your Buzzi tragedy example you have introduced “ military grade “ kit and all kinda exemplifies the point . Smaller and for sure faster boat but the plethora kit didn’t prevent a experienced crew from tragedy.