New build Sanlorenzo SL96A 2024

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Re: paint choice.

There are so many variables at play when painting boats or indeed cars that I think you would be unwise to deviate from the product recommended by the people carrying out the work. You lay yourself wide open in the event of a problem down the line and problems do arise.

You want the job guaranteed belt & braces particularly with something as large as a boat.

rwoofer

Visit site
Well I haven't been on the forum for years and for some reason took a quick peek, stumbled on this thread and read it all from beginning to end. Many thanks to JFM for all the writing up (I did the same for a new boat I had back in 2007, and it does take time). I seem to learn more about boats and get great insights in their use from this one thread than anything else I could read. Fascinating!

jfm

Visit site
Well I haven't been on the forum for years and for some reason took a quick peek, stumbled on this thread and read it all from beginning to end. Many thanks to JFM for all the writing up (I did the same for a new boat I had back in 2007, and it does take time). I seem to learn more about boats and get great insights in their use from this one thread than anything else I could read. Fascinating!
Thanks for your kind words rwoofer. I remember your build story/picture very well. Pity that photobucket lost so many pictures (mine too).

I was at the sanlorenzo factory last week and have some new info and pictures, - will try to find time this week to update this thread.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
The whole world’s forums were affected by the Photobucket fiasco. They wanted to try to monetise Forum sharing by their freebie users and in the process utterly f**ed it up, they had the lions share of that market and now are nothing like.

Hurricane

Visit site
Excellent, thank you! I lost all of my Photobucket photos as well, as I refused to give in to their extortion demands for lots of $$'s.
When the Photobucket fiasco happened, I was able to copy all my Photobucket uploads and place them on my own server.
For a short time, the guys here on this forum, allowed us to edit our past posts so I was able to patch most of my photo links on this forum to my own server.
But it was a long process.
These days, I resize my photos (to 800 x600) and upload using the "Insert Image" button - it is a shame that this forum software doesn't allow full res images to be uploaded because it would make it much easier to post photos. The forum software could always resize images "on the fly" - it isn't rocket science.
As I say, it is a shame because people do get confused and a photo always speaks a thousand words.

Portofino

Visit site
When the Photobucket fiasco happened, I was able to copy all my Photobucket uploads and place them on my own server.
For a short time, the guys here on this forum, allowed us to edit our past posts so I was able to patch most of my photo links on this forum to my own server.
But it was a long process.
These days, I resize my photos (to 800 x600) and upload using the "Insert Image" button - it is a shame that this forum software doesn't allow full res images to be uploaded because it would make it much easier to post photos. The forum software could always resize images "on the fly" - it isn't rocket science.
As I say, it is a shame because people do get confused and a photo always speaks a thousand words.
Also while we are on this - twisting the knife ( you will see why I chose those words ) .It appears if I I phone a pic say an anchorage, then get to the marina and via wifi the image which is automatically transferred on the I pad when they are both in wifi range the pics appears the right way on the original phone as it’s wasn’t turned sideways and thus transfers to i pad as is - right way up .

The issue that needs fixing is this …..if I respond to a thread in the marina with a fresh pic using I pad ( it’s all I have on the boat obviously) the forum software rotates it 90 degrees .

Other forums , or online shops ordering parts do not do this they paste in the pic as is on the I pad …..the right way .

It’s ONLY this forum .

Some one a while ago answered why with gobblekook + technobabble explanation but that’s not helping if he worked for me I would fired him as I want a fix not an explanation.

To get round it ( no pun intended) you have to rotate the image 90 degrees , on the I pad , then rotate it the rest of the 270 to up right it on the I pad .Then when you choose it and paste it in its miraculously stays the right way up .
But what a phaff .

Also if you happen to go back say to an image done yrs ago you have no idea until you try whether it gonna end up rotated “ twisted “ round or as is on pad .

Here is an example i had to de rotate it , it’s a SL btw 🤗

CF1A4E31-5FB5-4FE3-BC48-F78349024BE6.jpeg
Sizing is not a major issue as the pads gives me a choice just before posting and I know which box to tick .

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
We actually started the job a year earlier but we didn't get the time/weather right to complete the job.
We stripped most of it a year earlier - I have some pics from then.
All done the hard way by hand using sandpaper (not too coarse)

This shows the process
View attachment 163994

View attachment 163995

The reason for the tape measure - I did think of using a tape but I decided in the end to paint it.

So last season we didn't have a line at all - looked a bit weird.

View attachment 163996

All good now though
Mike, I'm wondering why you didn't just apply a decal over the top of the old stripe? My boat has decals and they're in pretty good condition, even after 20 years.

MeaCulpa

Visit site
A beautiful boat in the making JFM! Reading the thread one question does pop into my mind. You have a reverse osmosis system to give you water without minerals for rinsing the boat. How does that system differ from the water maker (presumably being fitted that’s presumably also a reverse osmosis unit)?

jfm

Visit site
A beautiful boat in the making JFM! Reading the thread one question does pop into my mind. You have a reverse osmosis system to give you water without minerals for rinsing the boat. How does that system differ from the water maker (presumably being fitted that’s presumably also a reverse osmosis unit)?
Spot zero system being fitted is two water makers in series (though you don’t have to use it in that full Monty mode).

First water maker is a normal high pressure 60 bar ish reverse osmosis sea water water maker. These produce water with (I forget…) maybe 40ppm minerals which is decent. I can send that straight to tank- job done.

Second one is lower pressure reverse osmosis again, to get down to c 1ppm. This takes water direct from the first water maker and recovers 2/3rds of the feed water and is fast. Water from this will go to the tank in normal usage. This water can be used to wash the boat incl glass and leaves no marks even if you don’t squeegee.

On the dock, incoming dock water just goes through the second water maker obviously.

So the boat will always be washed using water from its tanks not water direct from the dock. The domestic circuit will have 3 pumps. Main 400v thing for normal use plus 2x24v extras as back up and in case I want massive hosepipe flow at the same time as 8 showers, 2 dishwashers and 2 washing machines are running :)

The whole thing is quite touch screeny and automatic. Spot zero is now a very tried and tested product cobsidered premium stuff. Made in Florida

MapisM

Visit site
The domestic circuit will have 3 pumps.
Main 400v thing for normal use plus 2x24v extras as back up and in case I want massive hosepipe flow at the same time as 8 showers, 2 dishwashers and 2 washing machines are running :)
Wow. Will that allow you also to flush the engines and the gensets, all at the same time? :ROFLMAO:
Jokes aside, I'm just curious about the 2 backup pumps: what's the point of fitting DC ones, considering that the boat has 3ph AC available 24/7?