New build Sanlorenzo SL96A 2024

jfm

Visit site
Will you have any kind of system in place to alert you if the ribeye becomes detached from the big boat while towing,or just rely on it being spotted?

If so what's the solution?
  • The chase boat has AIS transmit wired so it can be on in an otherwise dead ship state.
  • Both motherships have rear facing cameras
  • Usually plenty of people watching out for it
  • Radar alarm with sector set astern so that if an object comes into radar view say 200-1000m astern the alarm sounds. Essential to use radar when towing imho. Both motherships have two radars, so one will be available to have an alarm sector facing forwards at the same time as the other alarms to the aft, if needed.
That and some general care should be enough! The electric cable thing would work but it is quite a big faff to set up imho.

Hurricane

Visit site
The big technical improvement over the last few years has been Class B+ AIS (SOTDMA).
The big performance benefit with Class B+ is that the AIS transmits more often - rather like the Class A commercial systems.
So, if you wanted to use AIS as an alarm whilst towing, the response would be quicker than it would have been a few years ago.
Class B+ transponders are now available for just a few quid more than the old Class B systems.
In fact, I am in the process of upgrading my transponder to SOTDMA Class B+

I'm sure that JFM has already covered this but the beauty of having AIS on the chase boat will be to know where it is at all time.
Probably more useful fitted to the chase boat than for nav or collision avoidance.
At Sant Carles, we use our AIS for tracking each other socially - I've even set up a dedicated AIS Fleet and web page that we all used to see where each other are when we meet up etc.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
The big technical improvement over the last few years has been Class B+ AIS (SOTDMA).
The big performance benefit with Class B+ is that the AIS transmits more often - rather like the Class A commercial systems.
So, if you wanted to use AIS as an alarm whilst towing, the response would be quicker than it would have been a few years ago.
SOTDMA doesn't start to transmit more often than CSTDMA until the boat speed reaches 14 knots, when it transmits every 15 seconds, rather than every 30 seconds. Goes down to 5 seconds >23 knots.

Would you be towing over 14 knots ?

jfm

Visit site
Yup the chase boat has B+ AIS, a Garmin 800, but is v. unlikely to be towed at >14kts, and when lost and being searched for it definitely won't be doing 14kts.
None of that seems a problem given that it will be very visible on radar if not naked eye.
Aside from towing, I agree with Hurricane that it's generally useful to know where the chase boat is and AIS is good for that.

MapisM

Visit site
Aside from towing, I agree with Hurricane that it's generally useful to know where the chase boat is and AIS is good for that.
The reverse is also true.
Someone might for instance use the chase boat to pick up guests while the mother ship moves from one anchorage to another, and immediately check where she is on the Ribeye MFD, while on their way back.
Not that an SL96 goes unnoticed, of course - and neither the Aquastar!
But possibly in the dark, that could help.

Reactions: jfm

Hooligan

Visit site
The pole is intended to tow toys, and it works well for that. When towing say 4 people on a big inflatable sofa, we have used the transom U bolts, but for "lightweight" toys we use the pole. It also carries antennae (but not the main VHF which is a taller whip areal on the hard top) and the ensign. It's also a great handle when you have come up the swim ladder and are stepping into the boat.

Fuel tank is aluminium welded. It's sitting on the floor at the back of the picture below. Nicely baffled, as you can see.

Yes that Azi is a ncie machine. It's renting my space for a while, till the Sanlorenzo arrives. It came round from the Venice boat show earlier in the year. Magellano 25m. Very nice machine, except Azimut went totally off the rails imho with the terrible design of the raised pilothouse in this boat and their new Grande 26m.

Ribeye-build-hull-deep-v.jpg
Two ribs capsized in Cornwall this summer towing inflatables from the ski pole and not the bolts on the transom. In essence the inflatables buried themselves in the water as the ribs slowed and then sped up while turning at same time. This turned the inflatables into a massive anchor. Both ribs flipped. Yours is probably too big but I only ever use the pole for skiers or wakeboarders.

• Wow
Reactions: MrB

MapisM

Visit site
Two ribs capsized in Cornwall this summer towing inflatables from the ski pole and not the bolts on the transom. In essence the inflatables buried themselves in the water as the ribs slowed and then sped up while turning at same time. This turned the inflatables into a massive anchor. Both ribs flipped. Yours is probably too big but I only ever use the pole for skiers or wakeboarders.
Far from arguing with your final suggestion, also because there's no point in a pulling point raised and placed closer to the boat center, when towing inflatables. But the accidents you describe strike me of reckless helmsmen, to start with.
Most folks don't appreciate that helming a boat while towing demands a level of attention and readiness to react which is a multiple vs. normal cruising.
With one hand constantly on the throttle and ready to cut the engine in the blink of an eye.
I very much doubt that those RIBs would have flipped, with an immediate loss of pulling force.

billskip

Visit site
Far from arguing with your final suggestion, also because there's no point in a pulling point raised and placed closer to the boat center, when towing inflatables. But the accidents you describe strike me of reckless helmsmen, to start with.
Most folks don't appreciate that helming a boat while towing demands a level of attention and readiness to react which is a multiple vs. normal cruising.
With one hand constantly on the throttle and ready to cut the engine in the blink of an eye.
I very much doubt that those RIBs would have flipped, with an immediate loss of pulling force.
God I wish I was so perfect

MapisM

Visit site
God I wish I was so perfect
Well I didn't say I am, did I? But at least I'd try to do my best, because I'm well aware of the risks.
And I am because a friend of mine ended to the hospital with a badly injuried arm when the rope tangled around it after falling in the water.
It's only because the helmsman (another friend of mine, not me) reacted PDQ, that it wasn' completely stripped to the bones.
What would have happened with a rope tangled around the neck rather than the arm is anyone's guess... :(

Hooligan

Visit site
I wouldn’t want to opine on whether this was reckless helmsmanship or not as I do not have exact facts and I would say that when things “happen” they tend to do so really quickly so perhaps not so easy to react. However what I would say is that I doubt that it would have crossed many people’s minds that something like this could happen, certainly it took me by surprise when I heard. I used to tow inflatables from the ski pole and never once considered I could flip my boat. I actually stopped because I broke my ski pole not for any other reason. In hindsight it is perhaps easy to understand what happened and I am sure that now that we know we will all be better drivers. The most important thing is sharing the potential dangers which hopefully make us all more aware and careful without destroying anyone’s enjoyment.

MapisM

Visit site
All agreed, Hooligan.
Reckless was in hindsight a rather strong word, since all I know is what you wrote.
But I know for a fact that many folks are nowhere near as careful as they should, while at the helm of a towing boat.
I can even recall to have seen a very young boy in Lake Como (15yo, give or take), at the helm of a Mastercraft, towing what looked like his parents and a similarly young girl (his sister, I suppose), waterskiing with one rope each - I kid you not... :oops:
German flagged, BTW.

Portofino

Visit site
Thanks for the pics. BTW, in case you were noticing how faded the Aquastar74 blue gelcoat is, she is going to the yard this Monday for 3 weeks to be tented and repainted. Light blue :)
Yes I did notice but refrained to comment again .As we annoy each other in enough any how without looking for more flash points -😀I think I commented approx 3 yr ago .
Just had mine done ( tented by Amico ) in June .It’s been a few months and tbh when you tap it with your fingernails it’s impossible to tell if it’s paint or gel coat .I have seen some obvious shockers btw that you can tell from 10 m as you approach.

Sort of lost the plot a little back in May / June ( to much other stuff going on and guardian took it round )
Did not even know which paint system they used .Did not do a Google search either of boat paint systems .Completely forgot .

Figured They had two other “ tented” SY s in out side and my minnow in the shed also tented and figured a spray would be better than roll and tip in a dusty yard .

Stoppani ( sp ? ) is the system they used and the yard forman told us it was exactly the same technique albeit only 14 m worth as the two 50-70 M boats outside.Same guys , same prep etc .

Bit of a leap of faith if iam honest .

Still none the wiser in the boat paint pecking order btw, but delighted with the end result .So no motivation to Google which boat paint system is best .
Suspect I have dodged a bit bullet here ? Took 2/3 yrs ( covid restricted) to organise btw .

Adds that new “ car feeling “ in terms of parking .That’s new to me .

Any thoughts your self ? What’s paints are chosen ?

jfm

Visit site
I have not researched paint much. My brother is having Alexseal on his imminent Aquastar 74 repaint - it's the paint system chosen by/recommended by the guys who are doing the work. It will be roll+tip, then polish/burnish if needed, not sprayed. (But all yards still insist on a tent).

Just for what it'a worth, I had Awlcraft 2000 in silver metallic on parts of my last boat, and it was perfect after 10 years so I think that's excellent. A good friend had Alexseal grey on his hull and that performed perfectly too. Sanlorenzo and many yachtbuilders incl Princess, AB, Azimut, Pardo use paints by Italian company Palinal Production of Paints for Nautical and Yachting . Sanlorenzo also use paint by Imron (a Polish company) on some bits of the exterior of my in-build boat (as well as Palinal). Stoppani is also a well know paint in yachting and I don't doubt it is excellent - another Italian brand.

Perhaps it's much of a muchness and not worth overthinking - I certainly can't be bothered to work out a pecking order :).

Last edited: