New build Sanlorenzo SL96A 2024

Hurricane

Visit site
What is the dock that you are getting for the Ribeye?
I ask because I keep my Novurania on a dock beside the boat.
It allows us quick access to the Novurania if all we want to do is go out on the RIB.

However, it doesn't keep the scum off the bottom of the Novurania.
The dock is a rigid EZ Dock like this

206036PW-C-ISO-1024x768.jpg

It keeps the RIB clear of the water but the bottom of the hull gets a few splashes every now and then.
After a couple of weeks, the bottom of the RIB gets a calcium/salty coating.
So, for me, the dock is OK as long as I don't keep the RIB on the dock for the whole season.
I don't antifoul the Novurania.

Actually, it was one of your suggestions that resolves this issue.
You may remember that when I was designing the chocks for the Novurania, you suggested a couple of outboard "V" cutouts in the chocks.
These outboard "V"s allow me to "park" the RIB "halfway" when I lift it back onto the flybridge.
This "halfway position" allows me to clean the RIB's bottom.
To clean it, I use that Spanish acid called Agua Fuerte - just a wipe with a cloth and a wash off with a hose completely cleans the scum off.

It may just be our marina or the positioning of my dock so it may not be an issue in a different location.

On the plus side, though, having the RIB on a dock is really useful when we want to use it quickly.

jfm

Visit site
Hi Hurricane
Thanks and that all sounds good. I too don't want to use antifoul.

We are going to have one of those modular docks, made with Duplo bricks. The Ribeye Rib is 8.2m x 2.9m and the berth is 24m x 6, so we have tons of room, so we have ordered a 12 x 3.4m dock
I weighed up Aqua-Dock, Tetra-Dock and Versadock, and all three seem to make a great product. EZ Dock great too, but I limited to three potential suppliers for convenience. Went with Aqua-Dock in the end, and I have been very pleased with their helpfulness generally in the whole process. Will report back on the actual product, after it has been installed. Will be installed in France late June 2023.

The dock will be between my boat and my brother's in our row of 3 adjacent berths, and gives us extra width when coming into the berth, no need to fender one side, and a place to hang slime lines on the outer end of the Aquadock. The size of the Aqua-Dock allows a second little boat to fit on it, and we will store a sailing boat/ jetski /spare 3.4m tender (I have kept my old novurania, and will get a Williams 435, and see which I like best).
Scale plan below shows how it all fits together and picture at bottom is a brochure pic of an 8.2m Ribeye on an Aqua-Dock - I'm sure you've seem before.

By the way, the offset whereby our Ribeye will sit on the Aqua-Dock off centre by one module, is deliberate:

Dock-Aqua-Dock-v1a-all-3-berths-general.jpg

ribeye-prime-821-on-aquadock2.jpg

Last edited:

jakew009

Visit site
Plenty, but I don't have pictures atm. I'm at the factory in Tuscany this coming Monday for a good look, so will report back after that. The Ribeye is also progressing fast.

In the background I have zillions of emails - there's an email exchange with dealer/factory perhaps every second day. Building a Sanlorenzo doesn't have to be like that, but for a customer who wants to know/check/decide/approve every detail, they are happy to work this way. Would be too nerdy and detailed to relay all email exchanges on here, but as an example I received today (a) pictures of the marble slabs that have been put to one side for me to choose from on Monday, and (b) a set of 3d models/renders showing alternative positions for exactly there the chocks will be mounted. for those occasions when the Williams 435 tender isn't in the garage .

There are also lots of things that have been going on in the background, and I'm doing them early because of long lead times. Eg in the last month I have placed orders for cutlery, crockery, glasses (I'm not using the posh names which I think are flatware, dinnerware and stemware :)) and towels + bedlinens will be coming soon. This is all quite hard work and I gasp at the cost if you choose ok-ish stuff in these quantities, but I'm pressing on. I also ordered the "Match" name for the transom, from Yachtlite in Germany, and the floating dock for the Ribeye in Antibes which is a June 2023 project. Loads of little things to do.

The marbled areas GA, and the tender 3D models emailed to me this morning by Sanlorenzo are below, just to give a flavour. In the marble plan, the 3 colours denote the 3 different marbles that will be used on the boat. The galley will have Dekton rather than marble, and the crew areas and flybridge bar units will have Corian, so they are not on this GA. The marble will come from the Carrara mountains, a few miles inland the boat building towns in Tuscany. In the tender renders, the bottom right hand corner is one we will use.

I'll write some more next week after visiting the factory.

Marble.jpg

Tender-on-platform.jpg

Out of nerdy interest how do SL handle the cad models of each boat?

Do they start with a ‘basic’ cad model, and then make all the modifications to it so it’s a true representation of your boat?

Or do they only model stuff when they need to show something / generate drawings? Is everything modelled down to the electrics / plumbing?

Is it used for generating all the wiring loom drawings etc? Or are they done separately? Or is each boat just wired up freestyle without pre making all the looms?

jakew009

Visit site
I don't buy any of that - its just broker bar talk, not expert talk. What happened in 2010 to make Mercury better or Yamaha worse? Nothing.

In any case/better worse is a model-by-model thing, not a brand thing. Most of the manufacturers have a couple of suboptimal engines in their range.

Focussing on this size of engine, The 6 cyl mercury S/charged Verados were 2004-2018, so nothing big happened in 2010 to make them better. The current (beautiful) V8 Verados were launched 2018. I wouldn't rate the older 6 cly Verados as a thing you would choose if looking to buy the best, but I would rate the new v8 Verado.

With Yamaha, the current series of 4.2 litres V6 (like on my 300hp) was launched in 2010, though derived from the earlier V6 form around 2002, which I guess is what JVII has.

Verado V8 (and V10+v12) is a beautiful thing and at least as good as and probably a bit better than Yamaha v6/v8, though that's comparing incredibly good with even more incredibly good. As I customer, I was focussed on guaranteed delivery date of a white-painted engine, Yamaha's better fly-by-wire steering (mercury's is slightly disappointing), and the fact I have a great dealer locally, so I chose Yamaha, but could easily have chosen Verado - it was a very fine choice with no wrong answer.

In fairness to the l6 Verado’s they must have had one of the longest production runs of any outboard ever with barely any changes over the years. Almost certainly the best selling outboard engine over 200HP ever?

I have 2004 and a 2018 250hp version and despite buying the 2018 one with the intention of swapping it for the old one, I still haven’t bothered as there is nothing wrong with the old one.

Yam seem to have had their fair share of problem engines over the years (flywheel chaos, corrosion) whereas Mercury seemed to get it pretty much right from the beginning with the Verados.

Mercury also nailed the power assisted steering and digital throttles way back in 2004 whereas it took the other years to catch up.

Hurricane

Visit site
Hi Hurricane
Thanks and that all sounds good. I too don't want to use antifoul.

We are going to have one of those modular docks, made with Duplo bricks. The Ribeye Rib is 8.2m x 2.9m and the berth is 24m x 6, so we have tons of room, so we have ordered a 12 x 3.4m dock
I weighed up Aqua-Dock, Tetra-Dock and Versadock, and all three seem to make a great product. EZ Dock great too, but I limited to three potential suppliers for convenience. Went with Aqua-Dock in the end, and I have been very pleased with their helpfulness generally in the whole process. Will report back on the actual product, after it has been installed. Will be installed in France late June 2023.

The dock will be between my boat and my brother's in our row of 3 adjacent berths, and gives us extra width when coming into the berth, no need to fender one side, and a place to hang slime lines on the outer end of the Aquadock. The size of the Aqua-Dock allows a second little boat to fit on it, and we will store a sailing boat/ jetski /spare 3.4m tender (I have kept my old novurania, and will get a Williams 435, and see which I like best).
Scale plan below shows how it all fits together and picture at bottom is a brochure pic of an 8.2m Ribeye on an Aqua-Dock - I'm sure you've seem before.

By the way, the offset whereby our Ribeye will sit on the Aqua-Dock off centre by one module, is deliberate:

Dock-Aqua-Dock-v1a-all-3-berths-general.jpg

ribeye-prime-821-on-aquadock2.jpg
Looks like you will have lots more space that I have so maybe the hulls won't get the same kind of splashing that I get.
Those blocks aren't very stable to walk on though.

BTW - have you thought how you will recover the RIBs onto the dock.
Just taking a "run at it" is sure to end up as a mistake.
I think they make a hand winch - bit like the winch on a trailer.

Or do as I do - a bit of lateral thinking.
I have a rope with a turning block fitted to the dock.
One end of the rope clips to the towing eye on the tender - the other end feeds back to the mother ship's stern winches.
Simply winch it on using the mother ship's docking winches.
Simple and effective.
The blue rope in this photo

DSC07273.resized.JPG

I've changed it a bit since that photo was taken but maybe you will get the idea.
The big thing to remember is to disconnedt it before driving off in the mother ship!!!

jfm

Visit site
Thanks Hurricane.

I have ordered the "trailer style" winch on the dock, which also reverses via a pulley to will launch the RIB as well as recover it. I like your blue rope and will definitely copy that (y) (y)

The dock makers insist that driving on/off is easy and there are lots of you tubes (an 8.2 m rib below, same size as mine) to show that. I'll see how it goes!

Hurricane

Visit site
Thanks Hurricane.

I have ordered the "trailer style" winch on the dock, which also reverses via a pulley to will launch the RIB as well as recover it. I like your blue rope and will definitely copy that (y) (y)

The dock makers insist that driving on/off is easy and there are lots of you tubes (an 8.2 m rib below, same size as mine) to show that. I'll see how it goes!

I tried doing that ----- once!!!
It wasn't happening!!

Used to "power on" with the old Jetski so we have the experience but the balance between the dock and the Novarania are very different.
It won't power on slowly (like the above videos) because as the RIB starts to ride over the dock the angle is far steeper than the example in those videos.
And there is no safe stop - a few inches off center and the prop would hit the dock.
Believe me - the one time I tried, I took a small chunk of plastic off the dock.

Launching is dead easy - even with partially inflated tubes.
I just put my knee against the bow and it gently slides into the water.

Actually, I have another "halfway house"
The RIB's painter is (as it should be) a little shorter than would be able to reach the prop - for obvious reasons,
This length is ideal.
There is a Walcom cleat on the main pontoon on center with the floating dock.
I have made a soft eye in the Novurania's painter.
With the RIB, in the water, with its bow nestling tightly against the outer end of the floating dock, this soft eye drops over the Walcom cleat.
The result is that the Novurania is firmly moored but "ready to go" - engine can be started etc but, more importantly, visitors/crew etc can simply walk down the length of the floating dock and board the RIB.
When its time to go the painter is lifted off the Walcom cleat.
This operation works well in reverse when we arrive back onto the dock.

I don't have any photos of the RIB in that position - I hope you can understand my explanation.

But here is another photo - this time the photo shows the blue rope after my modifications.
Actually, I have two turning blocks - one clipped to the Walcom cleat - the other is off center to get a straight run back to the mother ship's docking winches.
You can just about thee the blue rope in this photo.

IMG_8779.resized.JPG

Bouba

Visit site
In the videos the floating dock is tied up along side....this could make it more stable

benjenbav

Visit site
Looks like you will have lots more space that I have so maybe the hulls won't get the same kind of splashing that I get.
Those blocks aren't very stable to walk on though.

BTW - have you thought how you will recover the RIBs onto the dock.
Just taking a "run at it" is sure to end up as a mistake.
I think they make a hand winch - bit like the winch on a trailer.

Or do as I do - a bit of lateral thinking.
I have a rope with a turning block fitted to the dock.
One end of the rope clips to the towing eye on the tender - the other end feeds back to the mother ship's stern winches.
Simply winch it on using the mother ship's docking winches.
Simple and effective.
The blue rope in this photo

View attachment 155866

I've changed it a bit since that photo was taken but maybe you will get the idea.
The big thing to remember is to disconnedt it before driving off in the mother ship!!!
I tried doing that ----- once!!!
It wasn't happening!!

Used to "power on" with the old Jetski so we have the experience but the balance between the dock and the Novarania are very different.
It won't power on slowly (like the above videos) because as the RIB starts to ride over the dock the angle is far steeper than the example in those videos.
And there is no safe stop - a few inches off center and the prop would hit the dock.
Believe me - the one time I tried, I took a small chunk of plastic off the dock.

Launching is dead easy - even with partially inflated tubes.
I just put my knee against the bow and it gently slides into the water.

Actually, I have another "halfway house"
The RIB's painter is (as it should be) a little shorter than would be able to reach the prop - for obvious reasons,
This length is ideal.
There is a Walcom cleat on the main pontoon on center with the floating dock.
I have made a soft eye in the Novurania's painter.
With the RIB, in the water, with its bow nestling tightly against the outer end of the floating dock, this soft eye drops over the Walcom cleat.
The result is that the Novurania is firmly moored but "ready to go" - engine can be started etc but, more importantly, visitors/crew etc can simply walk down the length of the floating dock and board the RIB.
When its time to go the painter is lifted off the Walcom cleat.
This operation works well in reverse when we arrive back onto the dock.

I don't have any photos of the RIB in that position - I hope you can understand my explanation.

But here is another photo - this time the photo shows the blue rope after my modifications.
Actually, I have two turning blocks - one clipped to the Walcom cleat - the other is off center to get a straight run back to the mother ship's docking winches.
You can just about thee the blue rope in this photo.

View attachment 155883
Perhaps you could rig an underwater line from the outboard end of the floating dock to the base of the pontoon and thence up to a winch to pull the dock down in order to facilitate powering on to the dock?

Hurricane

Visit site
Perhaps you could rig an underwater line from the outboard end of the floating dock to the base of the pontoon and thence up to a winch to pull the dock down in order to facilitate powering on to the dock?
Interesting idea but the floating dock is bolted to the marina's pontoon so your idea would make it like a hinge.
I think simply winching the RIB on is the fastest (and safest) way.

Here's a photo taken a few minutes ago from my radar arch camera:-
Shows how it is bracketed (hinged) to the pontoon.
Sorry for the poor quality photo - The light is fading in Sant Carles this evening

Screenshot_2023-05-05_17-36-47.resized.png

EricJ

Visit site
that is going to be great looking Ribeye, especially with the white outboard. 👍
re the dock, do I see it correctly that the aft end is sloping to facilitate an easier entry? Or does the rib push the dock down in the videos?
May be a stupid question but how do you make sure the engine does not run dry? The raw water intake comes out of the water at some point.

Visit site
that is going to be great looking Ribeye, especially with the white outboard. 👍
re the dock, do I see it correctly that the aft end is sloping to facilitate an easier entry? Or does the rib push the dock down in the videos?
May be a stupid question but how do you make sure the engine does not run dry? The raw water intake comes out of the water at some point.

On our Versadock the entry is slightly sloped and the stern of the boat weighs it down enough that the water intake is always submerged when trimmed fully down

John100156

Visit site
I bought and extended a second hand Aqua Dock for my dinghy and I must say, it's very stable even at my weight and one run up the sides! I may add another row later, but I just like the flexibility and the way it's put together, just two tools needed (make sure you buy the tools, I am sure you have). They also do some pretty heavy mooring rings which slide through the centre of the connecting nuts and bolts.

Each corner of each float has one or more dots moulded into it, from 1 to 4, which denotes the level/height of the connecting tab at each corner (rotating from 1 anti-clockwise IIRC). You can join a 1 to a 2 or 3 to a 4 with no spacer, if you join a 1 to a 3 you just need to add one spacer, etc. Very simple and easily extendable.

Mind you, I did use Mike's EZ Dock for a while whilst I was awaiting arrival of additional floats and that too was very stable.

The bottom image of the AD in your #422 has a lot of spare roller sections in front of the Tender obviously to take a longer one if required, but looking at the layout you intend to use, with the Jet Ski in front, it looks perfect.....