New boat new post

jamesjermain

Visit site
I've been abscent from the forum for a while, mainly becauses I was boatless and didn't want to be reminded of what I was missing. Now the new boat is in the water I thought I'd find out how the old place was getting on. I see some of the old faces and still wandering the corridors and some keen new boys are settling in well.

Old chums might like to see a picture of the new chariot.

Echo with mast 4.jpg

She's a custom fitted Richard Woods 11.8 catamaran built in Millbrook, Cornwall and how just two months old. She has been over to France, seen off half a gale off Start Point and covered almost as many miles under engine in light stuff as under sail. I have yet to enjoy more that a couple of hours of good winds not on the nose.

Verdict so far (against expectations):
Accommodation 5
Performance up wind 4
Performance off the wind 5
Performance under power 5
Build quality 4
Finish 3

Attachments

• Echo with mast 3.jpg
    Echo with mast 3.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 0

Sybarite

Visit site
I've been abscent from the forum for a while, mainly becauses I was boatless and didn't want to be reminded of what I was missing. Now the new boat is in the water I thought I'd find out how the old place was getting on. I see some of the old faces and still wandering the corridors and some keen new boys are settling in well.

Old chums might like to see a picture of the new chariot.

View attachment 58491

She's a custom fitted Richard Woods 11.8 catamaran built in Millbrook, Cornwall and how just two months old. She has been over to France, seen off half a gale off Start Point and covered almost as many miles under engine in light stuff as under sail. I have yet to enjoy more that a couple of hours of good winds not on the nose.

Verdict so far (against expectations):
Accommodation 5
Performance up wind 4
Performance off the wind 5
Performance under power 5
Build quality 4
Finish 3

Lovely James and I hope she brings loads of fun.

Do you have a layout plan by any chance?

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Welcome back James.

What engine/s does she have?

Good to see more cats on here!

I reported in a different thread on my visit to the multihull show in Gosport last weekend and must have looked around a dozen new cats from different manufacturers and every one, like mine, had twin Yanmars.

It seemed that, as far as cats are concerned, Yanmar enjoy a monopoly.

Richard

NealB

Visit site
Good to see more cats on here!

I reported in a different thread on my visit to the multihull show in Gosport last weekend and must have looked around a dozen new cats from different manufacturers and every one, like mine, had twin Yanmars.

It seemed that, as far as cats are concerned, Yanmar enjoy a monopoly.

Richard

My old Comanche has a Yamaha 9.9hp extra long shaft high thrust outboard.

It's a great engine, but it's mounted at the forward end of the cockpit, between the hulls, so no prop wash over the rudders. It can't be steered.

With high topsides, and shallow long keels, she's 'interesting' to handle in close quarters in a fresh breeze.

I often dream about fitting a diesel with hydraulic drive to a prop in each hull.

oldbilbo

Visit site
I often dream about fitting a diesel with hydraulic drive to a prop in each hull.

Do try a different cheese. You might have a better class of dream....

kylie-minogue_zpsl8ce9rxt.jpg

Spice Cat

Visit site
My old Comanche has a Yamaha 9.9hp extra long shaft high thrust outboard.

It's a great engine, but it's mounted at the forward end of the cockpit, between the hulls, so no prop wash over the rudders. It can't be steered.

With high topsides, and shallow long keels, she's 'interesting' to handle in close quarters in a fresh breeze.

Viewed a Comanche with a 9.9 positioned like yours in France. He opened the hatch under his feet where he sat and used his foot to orientate it. Did not buy it.
Met a guy in Holland with a Comanche with a diesel and twin hydraulic drives to props in each hull. He was distraught that his boat could not keep up with me unless he used his engine, such was the effect of the additional weight and the drag of the props. He was about to put it on the market as he found the noise and the vibration of his setup to be intolerable.
I have my OB hung off the back and it is steered by connections to the rudder quadrants. Works brilliantly.
In that position the OB can ventilate in big waves. But if there are waves there is wind, so its not needed.
In general use sailing and motoring i find I use 1 litre of petrol per 10Nm travelled.

NealB

Visit site
Viewed a Comanche with a 9.9 positioned like yours in France. He opened the hatch under his feet where he sat and used his foot to orientate it. Did not buy it.
Met a guy in Holland with a Comanche with a diesel and twin hydraulic drives to props in each hull. He was distraught that his boat could not keep up with me unless he used his engine, such was the effect of the additional weight and the drag of the props. He was about to put it on the market as he found the noise and the vibration of his setup to be intolerable.
I have my OB hung off the back and it is steered by connections to the rudder quadrants. Works brilliantly.
In that position the OB can ventilate in big waves. But if there are waves there is wind, so its not needed.
In general use sailing and motoring i find I use 1 litre of petrol per 10Nm travelled.

Thanks for these observations.

I tried 'swivelling' my engine, but there's only enough room to turn it about 10 degrees either side. With the engine just about at the boat's pivot point, any steering effect is negligible.

With the extra long shaft, the prop always stays in the water (unless tilted up, of course).

I reckon fuel consumption, in easy conditions, is roughly similar to yours.

Interesting to read the comments about weight. That's the second time that's been mentioned to me now .... food for serious thought.