New anchor design

Neeves

Visit site
I like to see individuals with passion introducing something new to the yachting market place.

I know no more of the product than you - as my information basis is the website.

Neat development of a Bugel.

With modern computer aided cutting of steel it is possible to make really accurate components. In this case the components are going to be used in an abrasive, sand, and corrosive, rusting, envvironment and the accuracy of the component parts could be lost over time. However they may be manufacturing from very high tensile steel (or aluminium), which is hard (and thus abrasion resistant) but little different in terms of corrosion. The integrity of the product depends on accurate cutting and mild steel can be cut VERY accurately - but it can deform (in this case when well set and then side loaded).

I am sure it does what it says on the box, high holding power, HHP (so as good as a Delta - of the same weight) but I would be concerned about performance over time - as I suspect the slotted construction will lead to a less reliable joint (of shank to fluke). There are now plenty of HHP anchors - it needs to be really cheap to overcome the downsides.

One of the benefits of manufacturing de-mountable anchors is the saving in freight, most anchors are a devil to pack efficiently and shipping costs are based on weight and/or volume. A development of the, or this, concept is to cut in a cheap manufacturing area with cheap steel, ship as is and then weld and galvanise, for a steel version, or simply weld for aluminium, in the country of sale.

Anchors enjoy incremental development - some bright spark will see the opportunity, copy, weld and sell - but to be noticed it needs to be SHHP.

I wish the manufacturer well and I applaud their efforts.

Jonathan

Edit: I am surprised Jimmy Green are selling this.

Bouba

Visit site
Looking at it, it looks like it could become the postman’s favorite anchor....everything flat, fitting into a neat parcel. Especially handy for ‘return to sender’

boomerangben

Visit site
Looks interesting to me. For a small boat the simple flat pack design and the light weight of the aluminium model is very attractive. It doesn’t look quite right (from a strength point of view) and I wonder how resilient it would be to out of plane loadings. If it bends, it might not disassemble so easily and any benefit (to me at least) might be lost. My only other comment is the shackle “slot” (doesn’t look like a slot) doesn’t appear big enough to take the eye of the shackle they recommend.

But I’m still interested, it might be a nice compliment to my Fortress for more granular bottoms

noelex

Visit site
Thanks for the link. It is an anchor I have not heard about before.

It will be interesting to see how it works in practice. It looks like an excellent dinghy anchor. The flat rollbar appears a little fragile in the pictures for day to day anchoring to my eyes.

The design is very much based on the Bügel. This is a very simple, but still competent anchor. This anchor and the original Bügel lack some of the refinements of the better rollbar anchors such as the wings or skids (which increase the attack angle when initially setting) and the additional tip ballast.

As well as the foldable feature the Ankerplex has a more sophisticated blade shape than the simple triangle used in the Bügel.

Interestingly the Ankerplex features two different attachment points that will produce a different fluke/Shank angles using different attachment points. This technique has been used in other anchor models but only in the prototype stage (if you ignore the slot in the Manson Supreme).

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
I can see it as a dinghy anchor. Pretty cheap in small sizes, stores flat for those that don't often anchor. You could even substitute a clip for the one bolt. Unlike a Danforth, it can reset. The pricing may become very good in galv or alloy. Good folding anchors are scarce.

Binnacle

Visit site
I wish the manufacturer well and I applaud their efforts.

[...]

Edit: I am surprised Jimmy Green are selling this.

You think it may have merits, and yet you are surprised JG are selling it ? They are successful and professional chandlers. Isn't there a conflict in your comments ?

Neeves

Visit site
You think it may have merits, and yet you are surprised JG are selling it ? They are successful and professional chandlers. Isn't there a conflict in your comments ?
Its like the curates egg :)

I tried to make clear I thought the design has potential and has merits. I do not expect a reputable retail dealer to sell product with 'potential'. I expect them to sell product with all the bugs ironed out - especially for product deemed by bureaucracy (and much of the buying public) as a safety device and an item upon which one can wholeheartedly rely.

I would not trust the current design in much more than a lunch time stop - Jimmy Green lists it along side well proven anchors.... maybe suggesting to a gullible buyer that.....

It would not take much effort to improve the product.

Your and my expectations may be different (and obviously are) - but I remain surprised Jimmy Green have it on their shelves along side (and thus comparable with?) well proven product. The posts in this thread also express reservations - my views are in good company. Would you buy a product where similar reservations are expressed? Given the doubts expressed - are you impressed?

Jonathan