Navionics bought and paid for

hairbox

Visit site
I have bought and paid for navionics charts, but cannot download them due to updating my account. Navionics no longer allow old subscriptions to be downloaded. Bit like buying a vinyl recording or cd and being told you cannot play them anymore if you update your music deck. Anyone else having issues? and found a solution. I have mailed Navionics their reaction is tough shit buy another subscription for the chart software previously purchased.

wonkywinch

Visit site
I have bought and paid for navionics charts, but cannot download them due to updating my account. Navionics no longer allow old subscriptions to be downloaded. Bit like buying a vinyl recording or cd and being told you cannot play them anymore if you update your music deck. Anyone else having issues? and found a solution. I have mailed Navionics their reaction is tough shit buy another subscription for the chart software previously purchased.
Have you phoned the UK retailer (assuming you are in the UK?).

I found them very helpful and were able to reset my subscription remotely and at no extra charge.

Refueler

Visit site
Strange ... bought boat last year with installed Garmin plotter and Swedish Navionics card ... I updated the plotter to my name - in fact it automatically did it via the Captains crap .. and downloaded updates for the card fine ...

As for Navionics App on my Androids ... updated sub and it carried on fine ... still downloading updates for my purchased baltic files ...

Maybe I misunderstood OP's problem ?

B27

Visit site
It's more like having bought a copy of the Daily Telegraph in 1970 and demanding today's news.

Crinan12

Visit site
Yeah same for me, i can't download chats anymore. But I last paid for it in 2019 and given how much use I've had out of it I don't grudge the £40 again too much.

Groucho

Visit site
Can someone explain this thread for me? I have taken over a lowrance chartplotter that I think originally had C-map charts but the last owners-but-one made a note they updated the Navionics charts in 2021. I guess any subscription would now have run out and, to update in future, I am going to need a subscription? I would also like to get charts on my portable tablet does the licence cover both the app and the card that goes in the chartplotter? How do I know whcih download I need as there seems to be more than one type?

Refueler

Visit site
Can someone explain this thread for me? I have taken over a lowrance chartplotter that I think originally had C-map charts but the last owners-but-one made a note they updated the Navionics charts in 2021. I guess any subscription would now have run out and, to update in future, I am going to need a subscription? I would also like to get charts on my portable tablet does the licence cover both the app and the card that goes in the chartplotter? How do I know whcih download I need as there seems to be more than one type?

Simple answer - NO .. the two are separate.

The Tablet / Phone App is a yearly subscription service and the charts cannot be transferred from the tablet / phone you download to - BUT you can download to multiple Tablets / Phones .. I have charts on ONE subscription downloaded and updateable on 2 tablets and 1 phone.

The Plotter card - I'm not sure about subscription there - but once purchased you should get access to 1 years updates ? Need to check that ... maybe its longer ?? The card subscription update service is not transferrable ... and if it expires - its unlikely you can resurrect ...

I'll be honest and admit that I don't buy 'current cards' .... last one I bought was an expired card that had been updated to the last update available in 2023 .... I can buy a later expired card etc etc ... Because I have updated current on the Tablets ... I am reasonably confident !!

Daverw

Visit site
As said above by Refueler, both are seperate, app free and you pay for the area you want annually renewable, charts are after this period still on your device nit not updated. chartplotter maps are an annual subscription updatable during this period but remain on your plotter after this if you don’t renew but are just not updatable, or you buy expired cards from others. if you have both with active subscriptions you can do stuff like auto routing and syncing routes between app and chartplotter.
We treat both the above as just an annual cost which is about £160 per year.
note that for chart plotter subscriptio first year about £210 for uk but second year 50% discount.

nigel1

Visit site
Simple answer - NO .. the two are separate.

The Tablet / Phone App is a yearly subscription service and the charts cannot be transferred from the tablet / phone you download to - BUT you can download to multiple Tablets / Phones .. I have charts on ONE subscription downloaded and updateable on 2 tablets and 1 phone.

The Plotter card - I'm not sure about subscription there - but once purchased you should get access to 1 years updates ? Need to check that ... maybe its longer ?? The card subscription update service is not transferrable ... and if it expires - its unlikely you can resurrect ...

I'll be honest and admit that I don't buy 'current cards' .... last one I bought was an expired card that had been updated to the last update available in 2023 .... I can buy a later expired card etc etc ... Because I have updated current on the Tablets ... I am reasonably confident !!
Can confirm that the subscription for the plotter card is 12 months, with free updates during that period.
I have allowed subscription to expire for a few months, but have no issues in renwing the subscription after the 12 month period at the 50% discount rate.

wonkywinch

Visit site
Chart subscriptions for plotters require an SD card (compact flash for older systems). The card contains a key that will enable updates and other functions (route planning/tides) during the validity period, usually a year. The card is transferable and subscription does not need to run concurrently. I bought a boat with a Navionics card that had expired 3 years earlier. All the charts work fine but were out of date but the presence of a card (with key) meant I could purchase an update for 50% discount even though I wasn't the original purchaser and the card had expired a few years earlier.

The cards are usually updated via laptop/tablet with a card reader and the manufacturers proprietary updater software (free from makers website). When you insert the card the updater shows the regions you have purchased and when the expiry is. When I spoke to Navionics they suggested I buy a new "update" card (50% off) rather than use the old card as newer maps tend to be larger. The new card came, it was 32gb vs 16gb of the old one. The chart updater went step by step asking me to insert the new card, insert the old card etc so it transferred the licence to the new card, rendering the old one obsolete.

Once updated, the card goes back into your plotter. I changed my plotter soon after to the new B&G Zeus S which uses C Map so then sold the old Navionics card which had 11 months remaining sub on it. The new owner had no problem taking over the subscription because the key lives on the physical card.

There is no crossover between Navionics apps and plotter charts, if you want both, you have to pay for them separately.

Refueler

Visit site
Thanks guys for the better info ...

Interesting - I was told cards subscriptions were not transferrable ... good news that that info given me was wrong !!

My Baltic charts on APP cost me about 40 quid a year ... which I consider a good deal. With updates nearly every 2 or 3 days if I want to run update .. its good.
For cost of card and then updates ?? I'm out on that one ... to pay about 250 quid for same coverage of Baltic on a card and then maybe 120 quid after 12months for years updates ??? My Tablet APP is well worth it in comparison !! The 2023 updated expired card cost me about 50 quid ... You can do the maths !!

JayDomK

Visit site
Thanks guys for the better info ...

Interesting - I was told cards subscriptions were not transferrable ... good news that that info given me was wrong !!

My Baltic charts on APP cost me about 40 quid a year ... which I consider a good deal. With updates nearly every 2 or 3 days if I want to run update .. its good.
For cost of card and then updates ?? I'm out on that one ... to pay about 250 quid for same coverage of Baltic on a card and then maybe 120 quid after 12months for years updates ??? My Tablet APP is well worth it in comparison !! The 2023 updated expired card cost me about 50 quid ... You can do the maths !!
I don't think there will be very much difference between the 2023 map and the current one. Why pay more? :)

Refueler

Visit site
I don't think there will be very much difference between the 2023 map and the current one. Why pay more? :)

SHOOOOOOSH !!

As I said - I have the 2023 card .. and that sits in the Garmin Ultra 92sv or whatever name they gave it ... I have up to date in the tablet / Phones ... my ONWA has K charts .... I think I'm about covered on board ?

OK - at my work desk - I have full commercial stuff ... but I stopped carrying it on board ... was hardly ever used.

Refueler

Visit site
Just an aside ....

While back - laying in bed - looking at the wide screen TV ... it dawned on me that I could install and download Navionics APP on to that ... as it uses an Android comms unit.
You wanna see it on a BIG screen !!

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Just an aside ....

While back - laying in bed - looking at the wide screen TV ... it dawned on me that I could install and download Navionics APP on to that ... as it uses an Android comms unit.
You wanna see it on a BIG screen !!
I use OpenCPN with VMH charts on a 40" widescreen TV for passage planning :giggle:

Refueler

Visit site
Just updated my Garmin 92sv ... UGH !! Sat in the bloody cold playing WiFi games .... making sure one sd card in ... then another ..

Others seem to do it easily by using a single sd card to download to on PC etc... put card into plotter - update .. nice and simple ... but not Garmin .. oh no - too easy !!