Nav' lights question ?

G

Nav\' lights question ?

Having had only dinghies and small motor launches for the last 15 years, I have the feeling that my knowlege of which lights and where to put them are hugely out of date. Now that I am up-sizeing to a 6m yacht and intend to do a little local cruising, I would like to make sure I get it right. It has a mast head tri-colour and nothing else, and even that has its cable cut too short to reach a deck gland !! Not a good start. Can any one advise me of the most economical solution to fitting legal lighting.

G

Re: Nav\' lights question ?

Boats under 7m can get by with just an allround white light - ie same as anchor light for collison avoidance whether sailing or motoring. However, a mst head tricolour is usual for sailing. If intending to motor or motor sail, you will require combined red /green mounted forward (on pulpit)+ a stern light on pushpit plus 135 degree mast mounted white. (Often mounted near cross tress & including a separate bulb for a deck light.) Or an allround white on the masthead. To sum up: sailing - tricolour only, When under power, you should show a forward mounted red/green, plus all round white (whether separate light or a single mast head one). For vessels under 12m, I have found the simplest solution is an allround white comined with a masthead tricolour, plus pulpit mounted combined red/green. The all round white needs to be separately switched so it can double as an anchor light (when only it is on). The tricolour/pulpit lights can be on a centre off switch so you can't inadvertently have both on.

Hope this helps. Regards, Ian Jones (marine electrician)

G

Ian, thank you so much, and how unusual for this forum a clear consise answer. Regards Mike Harvey

G

Spot on Ian

I know this is a sales pitch but, we do some sensibly price Nav lights!

www.yachtbits.co.uk secure online marine electrics/electronics

G

Don't economise, do it right. The best nav lights are individual lights and the biggest your boat can take without looking stupid! Much better than an accident.