Red / Green combined nav light ??

Refueler

Visit site
Osculati light arrived today ... very nice ... no silly press clip that gets harder over the years ... two sensible screws hold it together ...

Opened up to see internals ... has the required spiral filament bulb ... BUT 25W !! Swapped out for approved LED bulb and that should cut the ampage seriously !

Before the 'ekspurts' start - I am fully aware that CE certification means item + bulb .... Who's going to check once fitted ? As long as they see required Red / Green they'll pass on ...

I intend to swap out all my Spiral filament bulbs for LED's .... think on it .... Dual nav light 25W ( ... steaming light 10 or 25W .... stern light 10 or 25W .... that's minimum 4A + losses .. with possible 6A + losses if higher wattage bulbs fitted ... I can easily cut that back to about 2A ...

OK - so steaming light is only when engine on ... but still .. its a load that can be cut back.

Boathook

Visit site
Osculati light arrived today ... very nice ... no silly press clip that gets harder over the years ... two sensible screws hold it together ...

Opened up to see internals ... has the required spiral filament bulb ... BUT 25W !! Swapped out for approved LED bulb and that should cut the ampage seriously !

Before the 'ekspurts' start - I am fully aware that CE certification means item + bulb .... Who's going to check once fitted ? As long as they see required Red / Green they'll pass on ...

I intend to swap out all my Spiral filament bulbs for LED's .... think on it .... Dual nav light 25W ( ... steaming light 10 or 25W .... stern light 10 or 25W .... that's minimum 4A + losses .. with possible 6A + losses if higher wattage bulbs fitted ... I can easily cut that back to about 2A ...

OK - so steaming light is only when engine on ... but still .. its a load that can be cut back.
I swapped all my light bulbs for LED ones years ago. A lot brighter and the colours well defined. Reduced electrical consumption as well.
Got the bulbs from Boatlamps - Marine LED bulbs and replacement lamps for all boats

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I changed my aqua signal Nav lights for LED. I used cool white for the white (stern, Anchor and steaming) and warm white for the tri and bi colour lights

Colours seem to me to be OK and much brighter, and the cool white lights are very bright. I am very happy

I got mine direct from China so all happy

Refueler

Visit site
Mine are China as well .. said to be in conformity with CE etc. .... compared height of elements and they match the full measurement of the spiral filament ... so in effect - the light emitted should have the same plane ..

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
Compliance with CE is not relevant post purchase. It is compliance with ColRegs chromaticity and intensity specification for lights that is relevant.

Boat Lamps describe the type of LED to use in a navigation lamp. Worth reading.

Navigation Lights: LED Replacement Bulb Information

ADVICE ON LED BULB COLOUR
Navigation lights typically comprise of individual white, red and green light fixtures. Sailing craft having the option of utilising bi-colour (red/green), often at deck level, or tri-colour (red/green/white) mounted at the mast top.

If your boat has individual navigation lights, you will get the best results by using red LED lamps behind red lenses and green LED lamps behind green lenses. Maximum visibility is provided by using cool white lamps behind clear lenses utilised for anchor light, stern and steaming lights.

Do not place cool white LED lamps behind coloured lenses as they do not produce the correct colours for navigation purposes.

Warm white lamps are popular behind bi and tri-colour red and green combined lenses for boats up to 12 metres. For boats up to 20 metres see our Bi & Tri Colour light information page.

Always more than one way to skin a cat.