My first boat - buying tomorrow fingers crossed (advice pls)

limecc

Visit site
Yes as I said all very last Minute.... Not good. As for asking advice that is good but of course it is very important who's advice he takes. Those with years of experience or those that have very little experience.
Another contentious loaded comment BP. Can you not help but always have the last word?

Did you ever make an on-the-spur purchase?

And just because you've years of doing some things wrong or being stuck in your ways doesn't make you more right than anyone else. Often more than one way to achieve the same goal and we don't all have the same needs or wants. Correct?

snowbird30ds

Norfolk broads based, coast when time allows.
Visit site
I have an older rewire tracker and it works well without a subscription on £5 a month lebara sim, the internal battery only lasts a few days when unplugged but it sat flat for possibly a couple of years, time unknown as a workmate found it on his partner's car and guessed it was a previous boss that put it there, she hadn't worked for him for a long while (all a bit creepy to say the least).

Hangie

Visit site
Key point, if they want to nick it they will, there is no stoping it. It just how much they want it and is it worth the risk.

Just to give you example what happened in Poland at beginning of the year.
In the middle of the day someone stole whole shop :) Not what was inside but whole as it was. Shop was in a nicely done container. In the middle of the day they just came with flat loader (or whatever it is called), load it and drive away. It was found few days later and returned.
Here is the article (in Polish, but we all got google translate if you are interested) Wrocław: ukradli sklep w środku dnia. Podjechali dużym dźwigiem. There is a photo of it.

So you know, all you trailer security is a waste of time/money if they can come and lift a boat from it :)

trevbouy

Visit site
Friend of mine has a car carrying trailer he leaves on his drive sometimes for weeks.

He has had two attempts at stealing it. They got the wheel clamp off and the hitchlock off but abandoned it yards from his house on both occasions due to the tyre squeal caused by the locked brakes alerting everybody.
It was a simple thing, he put the brake on hard using the handbrake then went behind wheel with two heavy duty cable ties which he locked the brake drum lever in place, hard on.

Alicatt

Visit site
Drove my Yamaha R1 from John O' Groats to Belgium a few years ago, in total I had put about 2500 miles on it from new. From my house in Belgium I took my 10 year old son to a classic car event on the R1 at Circuit Zolder, about 35km from my house. I parked it up, beside the security guard's hut along with 3 other bikes. I locked, chained, immobilised the bike, and with my son went to have a walk around the show. We came back about 30 minutes later and there were no bikes to be seen, called the police as did an older guy who was in tears, he had just bought a brand new BMW GS1200 the day before with his retirement money and the bike was gone and he only had 3rd party insurance, total loss no wonder he was in tears. I had UK full comp insurance with extended EU usage, cost me £350, insurance claim paid out on the estimated value of the bike, at this point it was nearly 2 years old, they paid more than what I had paid for it. I bought a FJR1300 with the payout, asked about omnium insurance (fully comp in Belgium) and was quoted €6k, so I took the €105 for TPO insurance is dear here!
My son and I got a lift from the circuit back home from a kind gentleman from the MG club that had come over for the show.

What happened was a large van came in, a high voltage was applied to the bikes to fry the electrics, then the bike was lifted into the back of the van along with the other 3 bikes, professional operation and the van was last seen crossing the border into Germany about 20 minutes later.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Another contentious loaded comment BP. Can you not help but always have the last word?

And just because you've years of doing some things wrong or being stuck in your ways doesn't make you more right than anyone else. Often more than one way to achieve the same goal and we don't all have the same needs or wants. Correct?

No not correct. I just think that new boaters are better to follow the advice of people with years of experience than those who are just starting out......... Would you not agree with that

limecc

Visit site
No not correct. I just think that new boaters are better to follow the advice of people with years of experience than those who are just starting out......... Would you not agree with that
You yourself prove that theory wrong ;):D

Last edited:

limecc

Visit site
You bought that new Boat yet ?
Complicated BP. It wouldn't be so bad if retired like you, have some building work to complete, some land to sell, want to buy a decent rental, not sure how much will be left over, and that decides the boat budget.

Currently liking the S23, but maybe your S24. There. We agree on something. Now I'm feeling uneasy :unsure: , I'll have a lie down and give myself a stern talking to. Else I'll be subscribing to your YouTube channel next week :love:.

TonyBerkshire

Visit site

I don't know BP yet to comment... but in respect to learning, change and humility..... I love it. I'm part of a lead team at my company and also an industry SME in my field but everydays a school day... everyone from the newbies to the cleaners I still learn from ?

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
Drove my Yamaha R1 from John O' Groats to Belgium a few years ago, in total I had put about 2500 miles on it from new. From my house in Belgium I took my 10 year old son to a classic car event on the R1 at Circuit Zolder, about 35km from my house. I parked it up, beside the security guard's hut along with 3 other bikes. I locked, chained, immobilised the bike, and with my son went to have a walk around the show. We came back about 30 minutes later and there were no bikes to be seen, called the police as did an older guy who was in tears, he had just bought a brand new BMW GS1200 the day before with his retirement money and the bike was gone and he only had 3rd party insurance, total loss no wonder he was in tears. I had UK full comp insurance with extended EU usage, cost me £350, insurance claim paid out on the estimated value of the bike, at this point it was nearly 2 years old, they paid more than what I had paid for it. I bought a FJR1300 with the payout, asked about omnium insurance (fully comp in Belgium) and was quoted €6k, so I took the €105 for TPO insurance is dear here!
My son and I got a lift from the circuit back home from a kind gentleman from the MG club that had come over for the show.

What happened was a large van came in, a high voltage was applied to the bikes to fry the electrics, then the bike was lifted into the back of the van along with the other 3 bikes, professional operation and the van was last seen crossing the border into Germany about 20 minutes later.

Moral of the story... full comp insurance ?‍♂️

TonyBerkshire

Visit site

No offence to the old experienced... but for example I love gadgets, tech and AI and it sometimes goes over the head of the more older generations... not saying those on here specifically but you know what I mean... i.e. I've met a really young mechanic recently half my age almost... can take apart an engine and rebuild it so albeit he has less experience than my other petrol head buddies... he is my go to guy.

QBhoy

Visit site
Bowrider with a full canopy - why not :)
just be mindful that is quite a frame and won’t be easily demountable. Do you have a way to close the bow passage ? Without it you will have draft and noise as air with come under canopy and won’t have way out.

Im not sure if you are aware how much such things cost. for a bespoke design I would not be surprised if it would be in around 30%-40% value of the whole boat. Of course you will never recover that when selling.
Last year I’ve paid almost £300 just to produce a single s/s missing bow from a Bimini.
I’ve a full cover on my bowrider. Best thing I ever got for it. You don’t get air trapped at all really, with the bow cover being on. Made such a difference to the use ability of the boat. The frames just fold back into one assembly, then you zip on a top bad cover type thing to keep it all together

Attachments

• 5230B8E2-3EC4-405A-9AE0-8874CA6AA016.jpeg
    5230B8E2-3EC4-405A-9AE0-8874CA6AA016.jpeg
    216.2 KB · Views: 28