My charger is on the way out

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
The OEM fitted Xantrex Truecharge2 (US but now part of Schneider) 20A in 3 banks charger is acting up. It shares the 20A among 3 banks, but the charging regime is one-for-all.

Among the settings one can set the charge percentage and I always had it on 100%.
It is now showing a warning: Charger too hot.

I've reduced to 80% which may help, but something obviously is not really right.

Still charging but also using power at 5-6 times the usual rate :oops:

Might be time to replace.

I'd like a charger that treats the 3 banks individually (sense, charge, monitor) but these features appears to be available only from Noco, Marinco Promariner and Guest series - only marketed in the US.

Looking within Europe pointers are to Victron. They have an app and a 3-output model, but none with individual charge. Am I really going to buy 3 x single bank chargers to get a feature that is available as a standard in the US?

Would need to find a Victron buy-3-pay-2 offer to make it financially feasible.

Any ideas?

vas

Visit site
alternatively, take it off, remove the lid, and check if the 4euro fan is still working... bet it dont.

mind, I'd also chuck it in the bin and buy a Victron but I'm biased

ChromeDome

Visit site
Yes, well the fan was running - constantly!

After reducing the output to 80% the fan eventually relaxed,- tomorrow I'll know if it's still drinking power like mad.

So the idea is to replace before it gets really annoying ;) - I just don't like the current outlook too much 💸💸💸

Edit: I get the Victron preference but why on earth are they a decade behind the competition?

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Yes, well the fan was running - constantly!

After reducing the output to 80% the fan eventually relaxed,- tomorrow I'll know if it's still drinking power like mad.

So the idea is to replace before it gets really annoying ;) - I just don't like the current outlook too much 💸💸💸

Edit: I get the Victron preference but why on earth are they a decade behind the competition?
Victron aren't a decade behind anyone, they just don't make the product you want, neither do Sterling, Mastervolt etc. Maybe there isn't really much of a market for such a charger ?

I still don't get why you think you need it, why, for instance, do you think the engine battery needs to have it's own charging regime, unless it's a totally different chemistry, in which case you'd be better off with a dedicated charger.

A quick look online tells me that a 30a version of the Marinco you reference above costs about $400. It does charge the banks separately, but splits the 30a into 3 x 10a. The the same $400 you could buy 3 Victron 10 chargers and have a little change. You also wouldn't have a single point of failure.

ChromeDome

Visit site
Yes, I know the pricing. Noco is $324 but importing from the US makes both unfeasible.

Admittedly 3 Victrons would solve the matter. And being Dutch support et al isn't too far away.

The independent management and monitoring will show when/if one bank is changing characteristics, an early warning of something being on the way.

As for fitting, one box of course is easier than three.

The batteries are SMF start batteries and AGM Vision FM for consumption. So not same chemistry.

Last edited:

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Yes, I know the pricing. Noco is $324 but importing from the US makes both unfeasible.

Admittedly 3 Victrons would solve the matter. And being Dutch support et al isn't too far away.

The independent management and monitoring will show when/if one bank is changing characteristics, an early warning of something being on the way.

As for fitting, one box of course is easier than three.

The batteries are SMF start batteries and AGM Vision FM for consumption. So not same chemistry.
If batteries are different chemistry to the degree that they need a different charge profile, then i doubt any of the chargers you mention will be suitable, the Marinco does not appear to be, but i have not checked every model from every manufacturer, i'll leave that up to you :)

I still think if it really is the case that you need each bank to be separately monitored and charged, separate chargers is the way to go.

ChromeDome

Visit site
Order now placed for 3 x Victron Blue Smart IP67 13 amps.

Rationale being that if a Xantrex sharing 20A between 3 channels and it has worked for 19 years even when power reduced to 80%, then a 13 A dedicated charge to each is a fine upgrade.

The chosen Victron alledegly has some adaptive properties, so much the better that each will be looking after one bank only.

Accepted offer for the three, after making a few gymnastics, is € 359 (£ 309) delivered.

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site

Rationale being that if a Xantrex sharing 20A between 3 channels and it has worked for 19 years even when power reduced to 80%, then a 13 A dedicated charge to each is a fine upgrade.

The chosen Victron alledegly has some adaptive properties, so much the better that each will be looking after one bank only.

Accepted offer for the three, after making a few gymnastics, is € 359 (£ 309) delivered.
Hopefully they’re the Bluetooth versions so that you can monitor via the Victron app on your phone.

Croftie

Visit site
If mounting in same location I would if possible mount side by side not one above the other because the the one above will get any heat produced by the one below. Looks like you got a good price

Reactions: vas

ChromeDome

Visit site
Hopefully they’re the Bluetooth versions so that you can monitor via the Victron app on your phone.
Yep, Harald Bluetooth they are. They will not fit the original location so must decide on an alternative.
I have two good options - one close to the batteries but out of sight and one that will require 3m of wire to the batteries, visible by opening a hatch.

Option one is likely to happen.

Heat is not an issue - these devices are even fan-less.

PaulRainbow

Visit site

I think you've made a good choice, good prices too (y)

ChromeDome

Visit site
Just wanted to report back, after running the setup for some time:

Removed old charger from the cabinet by the helm (took some acrobatics, but eventually got it out).
Decided that the new setup should live in the lazarette, close to the batteries, and have their own fitment. Hence connected a certified installation 3x2,5 mm² cable approved for wet, submerged, underground and what not use from the shore power fuse box to the lazarette and fitted a 3-pin IP68 female connector.
Then fitted the three Victrons to a waterproof, phenolic plywood plate, and routed main cables to an IP68 connection box which had a male connector to the mains feed.
Each Victron's fused charge leads had a 2-pin 60A waterproof connector fitted behind the fitting plate, connected to each battery by 2x6 mm² heavy-duty rubber cables. All wires are labelled. The use of connectors facilitates easy removal of the panel with chargers if need be.
1693216330498.png
Must say it works beyond expectation. Each Victron connects to the app on the phone and onboard tablet, clearly monitoring each and providing data - of which the History displays with charging cycles and charged amounts is very useful.

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site

Removed old charger from the cabinet by the helm (took some acrobatics, but eventually got it out).
Decided that the new setup should live in the lazarette, close to the batteries, and have their own fitment. Hence connected a certified installation 3x2,5 cable approved for wet, submerged, underground and what not use from the shore power fuse box to the lazarette and fitted a 3-pin IP68 female connector.
Then fitted the three Victrons to a waterproof, phenolic plywood plate, and routed main cables to an IP68 connection box which had a male connector to the mains feed.
Each Victron's fused charge leads had a 2-pin 60A waterproof connector fitted behind the fitting plate, connected to each battery by 2x6 sqmm heavy-duty rubber cables. All wires are labelled. The use of connectors facilitates easy removal of the panel with chargers if need be.
View attachment 162838
Must say it works beyond expectation. Each Victron connects to the app on the phone and onboard tablet, clearly monitoring each and providing data - of which the History displays with charging cycles and charged amounts is very useful.
Smart job, good solution.

PaulRainbow

Visit site

Decided that the new setup should live in the lazarette, close to the batteries, and have their own fitment. Hence connected a certified installation 3x2,5 mm² cable approved for wet, submerged, underground and what not use from the shore power fuse box to the lazarette and fitted a 3-pin IP68 female connector.
Each Victron's fused charge leads had a 2-pin 60A waterproof connector fitted behind the fitting plate, connected to each battery by 2x6 mm² heavy-duty rubber cables. All wires are labelled. The use of connectors facilitates easy removal of the panel with chargers if need be.
View attachment 162838
Good to hear it's worked out for you, thanks for reporting back (y)