MUST I REALLY ONLY USE BLAKES EXPENSIVE GREASE ?

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I agree with Refueler - waterproof grease is fine.

I actually have some Blakes grease - it was in the back of a locker of a boat I bought, and contains enough to last a few lifetimes - but mysteriously it always seems to be hiding on the rare occasions I've serviced a Blakes seacock, so have usually used bog standard waterproof grease and haven't had any noticeable problems.

johnalison

Visit site
I have a tin of Castrol thick grease that is about fifty years old that I use for such purposes, which once included a Blakes seacock.

Refueler

Visit site
I have exactly the same, described as water pump grease although it seems too viscous to me. I have never owned Ramonol or Blakes greases.

Castrol Black - we used to use that on Coastal Chemi Tankers that had worn out shaft seals .... smear a good load round the shaft .. start the pump and the grease being so thick - the pump would start lifting cargo !

doug748

Visit site
I used the white waterproof stuff for years and it was ok. Lately I have used the Blakes product and find it a bit stickier and better on worn cones, price difference is about + £8.

STATUE

Visit site
Yes indeed, I think this OP (not that I know what an OP is !) has had his answer.
Thank you 'Me Ansomes' (Cornish you know , the Cornish we First Nation's use! )

Refueler

Visit site
Yes indeed, I think this OP (not that I know what an OP is !) has had his answer.

Having spent my Cadetship and subsequent in Plymouth and surrounding Devon / Cornish areas .. the one saying that I could not get used to : "Me Luvver" .... always cracked me up !!

LiftyK

Visit site
My understanding, perhaps misunderstanding, is that OP means original poster - the person that initiated the thread.