Mobile boat stand [time lapse]

KevinV

Visit site
They come in different sizes to accommodate boat weight/length.

The stands are hired, paid along the berth fees. The stand for mine is £ 80 /year.
Lift is £ 53 for berth holders, £ 168 for guests.

The marina did a promo too:
Can't fault that - bit far for me to commute for an afternoon's sail though :)

pandos

Visit site
That's how my boat is moved in the yard. Up to 50 foot yachts in steel cradles. Very slick operation.

Cradle is only lifted a few inches so everything remains very stable.

ylop

Visit site
The Travelift takes the boat from the water to the stand, end then:
Could you sail directly onto a stand? perahps with a slightly modified tow system? Seems like an expensive tool just to move boats around the yard or does it save travelhoist time and mean they can lift more boats?
Lift is £ 53 for berth holders, £ 168 for guests.
That's an incredibly good rate. Is it based on length (I've never understood why lifts were based on length - isurely its not twice as hard/labour intensive to life a 14m boat v a 7m one?

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
The mobile stands were implemented as an improvement over private arrangements. also to improve work safety for mania staff.

The Travelift was there already, so it is still used for the short lift and travel to the stand which is moved by a tractor. No option to sail onto the stands.

Some 700 boats in the marine of which probably 600 is coming out. The lift is operated Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday during spring and fall, else by agreement. And that actually does it - for all, in periods manned by two or three to shift boats.

The stands are certified for boats having masts on while on the hard, which some really appreciate.

If boats need moving during their time on the hard it is a really simple matter, done by one person.

2Tizwoz

Visit site
Could you sail directly onto a stand? perahps with a slightly modified tow system? Seems like an expensive tool just to move boats around the yard or does it save travelhoist time and mean they can lift more boats?

That's an incredibly good rate. Is it based on length (I've never understood why lifts were based on length - isurely its not twice as hard/labour intensive to life a 14m boat v a 7m one?
The drawback to the travelhoist is its very wide. Boats must be spaced at wide centres making poor use of available yard space. The tuningfork type of lift allows boats to be almost touching each other. Of course when owners want to work on their boats in the yard that can be a problem.

Travelhoist or tuning fork lift last better if they avoid being submerged in seawater when lifting boats.

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
The drawback to the travelhoist is its very wide. Boats must be spaced at wide centres making poor use of available yard space. The tuningfork type of lift allows boats to be almost touching each other. Of course when owners want to work on their boats in the yard that can be a problem.

Travelhoist or tuning fork lift last better if they avoid being submerged in seawater when lifting boats.
In our case, the travelift isn't used for placing the boats. The standardized mobile stands can be packed like a tin of sardines, but there's an agreement with the marina that they allow space for access, not least because owners do work and want to launch at different times.

Boats can be moved individually, not blocking the way for each other, which even makes it possible to park nearby.
1697081786752.png

The video in #3 also shows this.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I am not sure I would like that sort of Marina. I live 4.5 miles from mine & often go to the boat 3 times a day. I might sit in the cockpit & admire the view,sit & do some jobs, splice a frayed rope end, etc. chat with visitors arriving. More likely, go out for a couple of hours on the spur of the moment
i cannot imagine sitting 12 feet in the air in a “car park” having the same enjoyment & freedom of movement

Refueler

Visit site
In Pavilosta Boatpark - they have a similar idea ...

ZnGqTjwl.jpg

Here you see the boat cradle ... adjustable for boat size ... high up on verticals - you see the short horizontal brackets. Yard has a mobile two arm hydraulic lifter that slides in and then arms lift to engage with those short brackets. Lifts cradle and boat sufficient to allow movement around yard .. into .. out of workshop etc.

The only limiting factor is that it cannot cater for bilge keel boats like mine - you see on the truck in the photo.

Ventsplis where I live has a serious self powered steerable lifter that 'drives' boats round the yard to then place in adjustable cradles ....

sWzc9HVl.jpg

Guy here has wireless remote control and driving the whole to cradle ...

Zq9fSFSl.jpg

MJSygibl.jpg

Which I know - most of that is not unusual and many have similar .....

Refueler

Visit site
Yard I have friendship with had a particular problem to solve which many yards will often ignore ....

Various boats as they get older become less tolerant of standing on their keels ... we call; it 'soft hull' ...... I'm sure others have a different term for it.

But couple years back - a Carter 30 was put to the yard for lift out .... on placing in cradle - it was noted that hull gave slightly as weight came on. You would expect a tiny amount - but this was more than usual.
Yard then 'blocked' the hull within the cradle to reduce weight on the keel.

Boat was sold on by the yard with full disclosure of this. With care when placing ashore - there actually is no reason that boat and similar will not continue on for many more years.

ribdriver

Visit site
Bilge keelers can be carried - either on crossbeams as per the photo which then get removed (sit boat down on deeper timbers/ sleepers) or on a beam/ half cradle which the boat stays on whilst ashore.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 4

Refueler

Visit site
Bilge keelers can be carried - either on crossbeams as per the photo which then get removed (sit boat down on deeper timbers/ sleepers) or on a beam/ half cradle which the boat stays on whilst ashore.

She needs a bit of a clean ! - I thought my boats can get grubby ....

The lifter in BP cannot lift my bilge keeler as the width of arms conflicts with hull width ... they are higher than your system. We considered beams / slings - but there would be no side supports to steady the assembly.
Believe me - we measured / drew up / calculated / discussed over days how to do it ... but in the end trucks 'Hiab' was used to move the boat ...

R6om9YDl.jpg

In Ventspils of course a different matter ...

K8KKyakl.jpg

The large wood blocks are what Superanne sat on as the stbd keel was cracked entire inner joint to hull and we needed weight off to repair. There's a running thread about the work.

ylop

Visit site

Ah, that makes sense - it’s pure ecconomics of real estate!