MiToS re-built/fit- versilcraft Mystery43

rafiki_

Visit site
Vas, I spotted a nice looking craft in Cardiff Bay on Sunday, as we were leaving on Rafiki. It looked rather like yours, except it was painted :) although I guess not in such good nick as Mitos. Sure enough, on the hull it said Mystere. Unfortunately I had left the camera in the saloon, and by the time SWMBO had grabbed it, the boat was too far away for a decent pic, sorry :redface-new:

Last edited:

vas

Visit site
Do we have paint?

unfortunately not.
Alekos 21yo daughter had a nasty car accident. Car rolled over a few times and stopped a few metres short of a serious cliff. They are lucky to be alive, the front seat passengers walked out of the wreck unharmed (were wearing seat belts!) his daughter at the back (not wearing a seatbelt!) suffered 6 fractured vertebrae in the lumbar area :(
She's out of danger, limbs movement is there, nothing damaged, but after 4days in the Uni hospital in Patras, she's as we speak being brought back to Volos with an ambulance. She's got to stay in bed for at least a month and all the typical precautions. So Alekos had a v.hard time and hope he feels better tomorrow with everything settled. Last thing I and he are bothered is the top coat tbh. Will be done soon, weather is getting better for top coat this week.

Further, I had to take 5 days off work due to stupidly lifting 4 180Ah batteries (50kg each!) out of the car boot early in the morning to leave them for charging/testing cycle at the electricians last Wed and fckd up my back a bit. Unsurprisingly, lifting them from the e/r through the hatch, hoisting them down with ropes, loading them in the car the day before after a full days work was fine... Not fully recovered yet, but went for some light work today and did some more ceiling slab upholstering last couple of days after spending three days in the beach :D

Vas, I spotted a nice looking craft in Cardiff Bay on Sunday, as we were leaving on Rafiki. It looked rather like yours, except it was painted :) although I guess not in such good nick as Mitos. Sure enough, on the hull it said Mystere. Unfortunately I had left the camera in the saloon, and by the time SWMBO had grabbed it, the boat was too far away for a decent pic, sorry :redface-new:

np P.,

there should be a few UK built GRP Mysteres around, Pete1987 of this forum uses his (don't remember where though) and MystereMarcus again of this forum has one but not sure if he's using it yet. Would be interesting to see if it was an original Versilcraft though, next time take a pic of the lower helm roof, that will tell!

+1

Vas whats the story with the grey topcoat? Any pics?

R., it's complicated :p

There's going to be grey topcoat all around the hull, and the sundeck and the bit around the salon sliding door.
Salon windows "wall" all the way to the f/b and back to the aft deck overhang and lower helm coachroof is going to be white.
Lower helm recessed window frames, upper helm area, round porthole rings, exhausts and engine room side vents are going to be slightly off black.

Too busy working to photoshop it. Will see it as it comes along and make up my mind on the way (as with everything...)

Since I've posted, the only interesting update was ordering a new full salon door after a lot of thinking and checking options with my fabricator.
Effectively we'll keep the same design, although the fixed panes will be properly fixed, not sliding door panels siliconed to the frames(!). Also I'll swap the original handles to this new door which will also be done at the same RAL7001 of the hull.
Glass panes were NOT triplex apparently, so new ones will be and with an appropriate darkened film.
Still puzzled with the lock I'll have to use on this door as it should be a latch or something between the two sliding doors.
Will use special magnets to keep the sliding doors open underway, not come up with any clever ideas on holding doors in closed position without locking them. Anyone???

Will update as soon as we have the hull done (and hopefully the passarelle hanging in place)
BTW, the passarelle remote saga continues, only one that came back to me was the ALMAR quoting a 240euro for a bloody remote!
Still waiting for a few more ppl that I contacted before deciding what to do.

cheers

V.

Prhperio

Visit site
Firstly, very sorry to hear of Alekos' daughter. A pal of mine who's a keen mountain biker had a similar issue this weekend with a pal of his going over the handlebars and fracturing vertebrae. Fortunately, no paralysis there either but all very nasty.

<<<Will use special magnets to keep the sliding doors open underway, not come up with any clever ideas on holding doors in closed position without locking them. Anyone???>>>

If I understand your situation correctly, I think what you need is called a "bird lip latch". So called because it resembles a bird's lip I guess but no doubt someone here can give the correct name and derivation :)

I couldn't find one listed at our local chandlers (but did find some nice bird scarers!) but this pic gives an idea…

Bird Lip Latch.jpg

Hope that is of some help… Have been following your re-fit avidly… brilliant job

Paul

kashurst

Visit site
Looking forward to paint pics looking great so far. You might want to consider something more substantial than magnets to keep the doors open/closed under way as they can really get moving in a roll situation. Few years back I had a sliding patio door jump out the frame when we were anchored and a t@@t went past really close and fast.
P.s. fingers crossed Aleksos daughter recovers OK. Sounds like a narrow escape.

Last edited:

vas

Visit site
If I understand your situation correctly, I think what you need is called a "bird lip latch". So called because it resembles a bird's lip I guess but no doubt someone here can give the correct name and derivation :)

I couldn't find one listed at our local chandlers (but did find some nice bird scarers!) but this pic gives an idea…

View attachment 44948

Hope that is of some help… Have been following your re-fit avidly… brilliant job

Paul

thanks Paul,

that's something that would work!
If I could get one such mechanism that:
  • has a keylock outside
  • a hand operated small lever inside
  • fits inside a 30odd mm alloy frame

I'd be extremely happy!

Mind, I got to find a solution pretty quickly as plan is to fit the door and lock the whole boat by the 10th of Sept. If all goes to plan (hasn't really ever happened...) should be in the water by mid Sept.

Looking forward to paint pics looking great so far. You might want to consider something more substantial than magnets to keep the doors open/closed under way as they can really get moving in a roll situation. Few years back I had a sliding patio door jump out the frame when we were anchored and a t@@t went past really close and fast.
P.s. fingers crossed Alekos daughter recovers OK. Sounds like a narrow escape.

you are right, although I checked these magnets at the guys' shop and it was impossible to undo the inch size metal disk from the magnet. If the going gets tough, I'll just add another magnet on each side ;)

cheers

V.

Prhperio

Visit site
<<<if I could get one such mechanism that :
has a keylock outside
a hand operated small lever inside
fits inside a 30odd mm alloy frame
>>>

It just occurred to me that patio doors must have similar locks... How about something like these:

http://www.mila.co.uk/products/DoorLocks/ProSecureMultipointDoorLock.aspx

http://www.dgsupplyline.co.uk/sliding-doors/sliding-door-locks/ho2-patio-hook-lock.html

Not sure how they would stand up to the nautical environment, I imagine on reflection you might need something constructed of more suitable materials. In view of the quality of the job so far, you don't want as we say, to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar!

Paul

vas

Visit site
It just occurred to me that patio doors must have similar locks... How about something like these:

http://www.mila.co.uk/products/DoorLocks/ProSecureMultipointDoorLock.aspx

http://www.dgsupplyline.co.uk/sliding-doors/sliding-door-locks/ho2-patio-hook-lock.html

Not sure how they would stand up to the nautical environment, I imagine on reflection you might need something constructed of more suitable materials. In view of the quality of the job so far, you don't want as we say, to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar!

Paul

Yep, that's more like what I need but with a proper lock barrel thrown in :D
Found that CISA also does them (easy to find down here) and I also found a company doing decent quality el.operated ones BUT at a price!
300euro is half the cost of the bleeding door (without the securit glazing) Would ideally like to integrate the door opening with the remote that moves the passerelle about so that I can get in and open the door with the same thing without keys (similar method but with RFID is employed at home and is been working fine for the last 8yrs)

On the news front, we finally do have paint!

only on the transom though and just today. Looks impressively good and creates a mirror like surface. Photos taken couple of hours after spraying but with the sun in the wrong place so no far away pics available. Will post a few tomorrow.

topcoat_1.jpg

topcoat_2.jpg

topcoat_3.jpg

topcoat_4.jpg

Well impressed, colour is as dark as I'd like it, will look different/better in the water (IMHO)

After a week's break in folding in two, I started yesterday working at the lazarette bilges. No fun, slow progress, but interesting to do so that I know the condition of timber/ply down there. All sound and solid except for the 2nd reinforcement on top of the rudder shaft which was falling apart. Removed it on port side, cleaned up the mess and will recreate it in two overlapping layers (in halves as I don't feel like dismantling the rudders as well!)

Bilges look like this:

bilges_1.jpg

bilges_2.jpg

bilges_3.jpg

Alekos suggested that I use the leftover paint of each painting session for bilge painting, so today did three segments of the lazarette flooring with that. Must be one of the very few boats that feature the same colour on hull and lazarette walls and floor :cool:

bilges_4.jpg

Tomorrow onwards I'm going to split my time between folding in two in the lazarette and working around the transom:
Need to sort out the waterline, install the skin fittings, do the copper/epoxy coating, install the trimtabs and tabs which are currently out for sanding, bring and secure the passerelle and open the hawseholes for the original aft cleats. Enough to keep my back stretched :p

cheers

V.

Last edited:

Mr Googler

Visit site
That is some shine without even buffing!! Remote door opening with parraselle is very cool. How about a small motor to slide the door open too:cool:

Can't wait to see more and thanks so much for sharing your journey with us.

MikeBrazier

Visit site
Hi Vas,

As ever, thanks for the update. The paint finish looks great, it probably didn't look that good when it was new!

I cannot wait to see it when some of the detailing is done, you must be very proud of your efforts now the end is in sight.

Mike.

wakeup

Visit site
Wow! That is mirror finish VAS, well done.

I didn't think you were expecting that from your comments about paint prep and re-paint next year etc.

That looks totally fab. I didn't think that quality of effect could be achieved on a refurbished wooden boat. You must be pleased. I would be.

vas

Visit site
as always, sorry for the late reply, but being rather busy with real work...

That is some shine without even buffing!! Remote door opening with parraselle is very cool. How about a small motor to slide the door open too:cool:

Can't wait to see more and thanks so much for sharing your journey with us.

I think you're pushing it with the motor opening the doors... Unfortunately looks like the electric hook locks wont fit in the allu frame of the door, so for the time being that's a non-starter :(

Wow! That's some finish. Can't wait to see the rest and hope mine is even half that shiny when I eventually get there! :D
I can organize for Alekos to come and paint yours as well ;)
He's already painted a 60ft custom mobo in Istanbul last year.

So impressed with the paint I forgot to ask about Alekos's daughter. Hope she is on the road to recovery

yes R.,

she's recovering surprising quickly, next week will get another set of x-rays MRIs or whatever for the doctors to check and decide if she'll start moving/standing. Currently still laying flat on her back, bed tilted for 10mins only when eating. Too harsh for 21yo, but you cannot really gamble with back injuries or you'll have leftovers bugging you for the rest of your life.

Hi Vas,

As ever, thanks for the update. The paint finish looks great, it probably didn't look that good when it was new!

I cannot wait to see it when some of the detailing is done, you must be very proud of your efforts now the end is in sight.

Mike.

true, looks too good that tbh I'm afraid of touching and working on skinfittings et al. Was planning to bring the passerelle and fit it by creating a small scaffold and lifting it there, but I chickened out. Will call a friend with a small van with a crane to hold it steady in place for me to bolt it through and measure/fix the ram. Maybe during the w/e.

Wow! That is mirror finish VAS, well done.

I didn't think you were expecting that from your comments about paint prep and re-paint next year etc.

That looks totally fab. I didn't think that quality of effect could be achieved on a refurbished wooden boat. You must be pleased. I would be.

quite right,
I wasn't expected such a result, quite shocked tbh, so re paint next year is out of the question. Probably repaint in 4-5yrs once everything settles and I rethink the colouring scheme. Even then probably wont paint everything.

So, after a full week with dodgy weather, some showers, a couple of thunderstorms and a few days that the weather wasn't quite sure of what to do, we are back in summer mode with temps up to 30-32C.
Alekos finished off and painted the port side yesterday.

detail:
topcoat_5.jpg

the whole thing (almost):
topcoat_6.jpg

topcoat_7.jpg

result is again impressive and Alekos will be painting the stbrd side in a few hours.
Bow height down to w/l was too much for him, so opted for straight painting of the hull above the top chine and will mask and paint all the bow from w/l to top chine on a separate go (probably Sat morning)

I've done various bits and bobs (amazing how many hours small things take...) lazarette is almost ready, clean bottom painted hull sides and transom to be painted so that I can start refitting h/w (mainly lights, steering sensor for the a/p, bilge pump and the bulky passarelle pump/solenoids assembly.

Worth posting a couple of pics of the finished aft deck alloy sandwich skin.
BTW, fitted the first 2 cleats! (even such a simple job took me 4-5h!)
Still need to drill the hawseholes both on transom and the inner skin

aftdeck_rebuilt_121.jpg

aftdeck_rebuilt_122.jpg

more to come hopefully before the w/e

cheers

V.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Vas that's quite an amazing paint job!

Those cleats look great, but just one question. Am I right in thinking that the holes in the capping above are for your pop up cleats? If so, why have both so close together?

jfm

Visit site
Vas that is amazing. She is going to look pretty stunning. Keep posting the pictures when you get time

I'm so pleased you are going to paint the area from chine down to waterline. For a few moments, when I saw the picture, I thought you might had decided to take the antifoul paint up to the chine at the bow. I'm so glad you're not doing that! :D :D (Not that I ever seriously doubted you :))