Mind your head

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Yes the last one I saw was at Wandsworth bridge.

It is presumably as mentioned a soft article to prevent damage if you do hit it but to make you think.

Nasty item if it was at the right height and you were on a canal boat with tiller steering in poor visibility and didn't spot it.
It could knock you clean orf the boat which would carry on its merry way with no steerer.

One would think a high visibility fender or two might be better.

I often wonder if it actually is straw or hay.

Pump-Out

Visit site
I think...

The hay thing derives from the times that materials required for the bridge maintenance would arrive on site by horse and cart. The easiest thing to sling over the side of the bridge, which was not required for the immediate works, was the fodder for the horse.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I think...

The hay thing derives from the times that materials required for the bridge maintenance would arrive on site by horse and cart. The easiest thing to sling over the side of the bridge, which was not required for the immediate works, was the fodder for the horse.

So the poor horse had to drag all the materials and tools (and workmen, perhaps) for the job, then didn't even get its lunch!

Suffolk_Newbie

Visit site
I think...

That makes sense, thanks!

oldgit

Visit site
an explanation from the point of view of a father who had daughter who had a pony and who was able to afford to run a boat when she finally left home...... :)!
If you are at all familiar with the prices of good quality meadow hay, you will understand why a manky cheapo bale of straw is usually dangled under any bridge even on the Thames.

Plum

Visit site
Yes, it's a lovely tradition and a very effective day-mark. Have seen it a few times in recent years. The tidal thames PLA bylaw says "When the headroom of an arch or span of a bridge is reduced from its usual limits but that arch or span is not closed to navigation, the person in control of the bridge must suspend from the centre of that arch or span by day a bundle of straw large enough to be conspicuous and by night a white light."