Marina Visit

onesea

Visit site
The berth was a clear 2m shorter than my boat, can I claim 20% of the price?
The annoying thing her is to keep the boat in position I have squeaky mooring ropes.

I was going to use the laundry however no one was available to sell tokens.

The taps had no hoses - ( I know some say it's normal).

They did have fuel 24/7 however:

I have to take my boat to the fuel berth, they will help catch lines!
So to get my fuel, I would have to:
*Leave the berth,
*Leave the Marina (there's is not enough space inside to drift and move mooring ropes and fenders),
*Switch all my fenders and mooring ropes,
*Put then on the other side,
*Come back into the marina tie up at fuel berth,
*Then return to my berth, reverse the operation,

I know I could do this in the morning on departure, and not have to berth, however would you want to get up an hour or 2 earlier to do this in half light?

When you could just walk down the pontoon with 2 plastic fuel cans. To the fuel berth I walked passed several times today.

The marina did have good showers though.

lustyd

Visit site
We've only visited one marina (Poole Quay Boat Haven, also by a looong stretch was the most expensive at £66/night for a 36 footer midweek and had terrible showers) that had hoses on the taps in the last few years, it's extremely unusual these days and for very good reason. I certainly wouldn't want them anywhere near my tanks!

Bristolfashion

Visit site
We're very relaxed about marinas, but cold / dribbling showers are over the line.

Salcombe harbour shower yesterday very good, but I'll give the award to Boatfolk North Shields for their very comfy private bathroom style facilities.

lustyd

Visit site
We're very relaxed about marinas, but cold / dribbling showers are over the line.
To be fair, PQBH showers were hot and had some pressure, just the stupid push button only lasted about 3 seconds. There's no shortage of water in the world so for £66/night I want constant running water with a real tap!

Bristolfashion

Visit site
To be fair, PQBH showers were hot and had some pressure, just the stupid push button only lasted about 3 seconds. There's no shortage of water in the world so for £66/night I want constant running water with a real tap!
Oooh, the short period push tap is another dislike of ours. At that price, you should get someone with a loofah to scrub your back!

Boathook

Visit site
The pontoon berth I was on at Carteret the other week had a water 'tap' where you had to a male type hozelock fitting to plug in. Luckily I had an adaptor one in my 'hose bag'. Not the first time I've had to use it.

1721723041616.png

Reactions: DJE

lustyd

Visit site
I stand corrected. I only repeated what our marina (part of a large group) told me.
There was a whole raft of threads about 10 years ago on the subject where it was discussed at length. Everyone at the time assumed it was some crazy EU rule but then a few people did some digging and it turned out it was partly to save money and partly to reduce liability but there were no actual rules behind the change. Usually but not always when there's a hose there will be two taps so you can still use your own hose if you choose.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Marinas are absolutely allowed hoses on their taps, and some still choose to do so. Most have chosen to remove them.
Our marina do supply a hose if one asks. They used to supply one on each pontoon, but it seems that some sailors seemed to think that they were on the same level as hotel towels-- for taking home-- The tap adaptors being the same as the soap.
It amazes me the level that some will sink to to steal such things. I have tatty dock lines with cable ties to them because they used to go missing as well.

lustyd

Visit site
Tell that to the people in Africa and many other parts of the world who's wells are running dry.
Poor planning and infrastructure is not the same as scarcity of resource. There is absolutely not a shortage of water on Earth. Some people live in deserts, and yes that's poor planning if they don't have a way to access this abundant resource. In the UK though, we have ample fresh water and manage it so badly we make it look scarce.

capnsensible

Visit site
You think a planet 2/3 covered in water at an average depth of over 3.5km has a shortage? The only shortage we have is competence at water companies.
You can't drink seawater. A clean water source is a problem for billions of people and causes a great deal of suffering, illness and distress. I live on a sub tropical island where desalination is the sole source of clean water. We can afford it. Most can't.

capnsensible

Visit site
Poor planning and infrastructure is not the same as scarcity of resource. There is absolutely not a shortage of water on Earth. Some people live in deserts, and yes that's poor planning if they don't have a way to access this abundant resource. In the UK though, we have ample fresh water and manage it so badly we make it look scarce.
Sorry but you are completely wrong 9n this one. Before this goes political and gets shut, you may like to do a bit of research.