Marina Visit

capnsensible

Visit site
You're still confusing scarcity with convenience. Water is an abundant resource, and denying that is unhelpful at best. Just because it's hard or expensive, doesn't mean nothing can be done. Instead of moaning that it's difficult we should be working on the solution whether that be relocating communities, developing ways to transport, reuse, or clean water, or simply investing in proper infrastructure.
Nice try. But your spin attempt is still wrong, I'm afraid. However, as you are determined to believe, in the face of all facts, you are correct, then good luck to you.

lustyd

Visit site
Nice try. But your spin attempt is still wrong, I'm afraid. However, as you are determined to believe, in the face of all facts, you are correct, then good luck to you.
It's not spin, it's fact. Perhaps you believe nothing can be done to make water available, but that says a lot more about you than it does me. The fact remains that there are over a billion cubic kilometers of water on the planet and only 8 billion people. That's plenty even if we do want to use hose pipes.

johnalison

Visit site
It's not spin, it's fact. Perhaps you believe nothing can be done to make water available, but that says a lot more about you than it does me. The fact remains that there are over a billion cubic kilometers of water on the planet and only 8 billion people. That's plenty even if we do want to use hose pipes.
It’s a case of diminishing returns, or at increasing difficulty and cost. It is easy to provide water for half the world, reasonably easy for ninety percent, quite hard for ninety-five percent and desperately difficult for the last five percent, of my guessed figures. There are places in Ethiopia where it is necessary to walk for a week to reach a road, and I dare say this is replicated in many regions.

lustyd

Visit site
There are places in Ethiopia where it is necessary to walk for a week to reach a road, and I dare say this is replicated in many regions.
Indeed, so the question is once you reach water, why not stay there? You've still not described a scarce resource, you're still describing poor planning.

Here in the UK (back to the thread, and my original comment) we're told water is scarce, yet 30 million homes flush 2l every time they use the toilet, and the water landing on those 30 million roofs is just dumped into the sea (often along with said sewage). That's not scarce, it's incompetence.

onesea

Visit site
I am not a marina lover, soul less places. In 2 months cruising I have only used 3.

I think the thing that summed it up for me was the fuel.
I didn't get any, I could not be bothered, have now sailed far enough I could motor all the way. Winds still fresh on my stern too.

I don't mind rough and ready berthing, they are often the best ports. However there is a certain thought of you should get what you pay for.

These guys are profit making companies, if no one speaks out they will keep taking what they can at our cost.

They did give me a hand cast off, this morning which saved slip springs etc. Long keel boats where never designed for marina's.

lustyd

Visit site
if no one speaks out they will keep taking what they can at our cost.
I find this a huge problem these days, and as has happened here if you do speak out and question the value then you're considered the one at fault or called rude for mentioning it. For me it's a sliding scale, at £20/night I'll happily take what I'm given in exchange for something secure to tie my boat to. For £60/night I want that secure thing to be gold plated and have a butler waiting to bring me a hose pipe. And that's before we even get to the "we replaced your lovely anchorage for the good of the fishes, please send money" moorings nobody needed or wanted!

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Hamilton Island marina - a nice young woman on a tender leads you in & takes your lines. Then a sparky turns up and connects your power & delivers a little electric go cart to run around the island. They'll fill your tanks if you ask.

Suffice it to say, I wasn't paying!

dunedin

Visit site
I am not a marina lover, soul less places. In 2 months cruising I have only used 3.

I think the thing that summed it up for me was the fuel.
I didn't get any, I could not be bothered, have now sailed far enough I could motor all the way. Winds still fresh on my stern too.

I don't mind rough and ready berthing, they are often the best ports. However there is a certain thought of you should get what you pay for.

These guys are profit making companies, if no one speaks out they will keep taking what they can at our cost.

They did give me a hand cast off, this morning which saved slip springs etc. Long keel boats where never designed for marina's.
So what exactly was the problem with the fuel berth that you criticise the marina for? Sounds like it was just you didn't want to swap your fenders over, or go the other way onto the fuel berth ?
But you also had the option of cans. Sounds like the main issue is your choosing a long keel boat, which has limited your manoeverability and hence options, not the fault of the marina?

Bristolfashion

Visit site
So what exactly was the problem with the fuel berth that you criticise the marina for? Sounds like it was just you didn't want to swap your fenders over, or go the other way onto the fuel berth ?
But you also had the option of cans. Sounds like the main issue is your choosing a long keel boat, which has limited your manoeverability and hence options, not the fault of the marina?
Dunno what he's complaining about - long keel boats turn very easily in reverse - hardly ever the way you want or expect though!😊

Reactions: srm

johnalison

Visit site
Indeed, so the question is once you reach water, why not stay there? You've still not described a scarce resource, you're still describing poor planning.

Here in the UK (back to the thread, and my original comment) we're told water is scarce, yet 30 million homes flush 2l every time they use the toilet, and the water landing on those 30 million roofs is just dumped into the sea (often along with said sewage). That's not scarce, it's incompetence.
I doubt if the Ethiopians living in remote regions will be amused by the idea that their ancestors failed to set up a planning committee to deal with the water problems caused by an increasing population, not to mention climate change.

capnsensible

Visit site
Hamilton Island marina - a nice young woman on a tender leads you in & takes your lines. Then a sparky turns up and connects your power & delivers a little electric go cart to run around the island. They'll fill your tanks if you ask.

Suffice it to say, I wasn't paying!
I was taking some students into Simpsons Bay marina on a modest(for the area) 45 foot yacht. They insist on taking your lines on the dock.....stern to, lazy line...and use a rib with a padded bow to direct you into the berth. Golf carts to take you to the gate. Simply leave bagged gash on the dock and their regular patrols remove it for you.

Another occasion in Antigua, Falmouth Marina, I flew in to help my oppo, the skipper ofa 74 ft Sunreef Cat to take the boat to Barcelona. Not only water and electricity to the dock, but fuel too. A sample of which is taken and offered to you for inspection. Gawd knows what the mooring fees were....how the other half live.

On the other hand I spent the night free alongside the docks in Methyl near Edinburgh. It was February, snowing and I don't think I've ever been so cold!

capnsensible

Visit site
I doubt if the Ethiopians living in remote regions will be amused by the idea that their ancestors failed to set up a planning committee to deal with the water problems caused by an increasing population, not to mention climate change.
How thoughtless of them. Everything can be so easily solved. Next, cancer, poverty, war and short finger pontoons.

lustyd

Visit site
How thoughtless of them. Everything can be so easily solved. Next, cancer, poverty, war and short finger pontoons.
You're right, we shouldn't bother solving problems, we should all just accept the limits of the world and move to a sunny island to forget about it 😂

capnsensible

Visit site
You're right, we shouldn't bother solving problems, we should all just accept the limits of the world and move to a sunny island to forget about it 😂
It's impossible to forget these things even if you are on a small piece of plastic in the middle of a large ocean. It's our times.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
You've clearly looked in the wrong place. There are stacks of informative links that prove otherwise. Water scarcity is increasing and there is no money in so many huge tracts of the planet to 'fix' it.

2023: Up to an estimated 3 billion people globally face water shortages. This crisis is set to escalate in the coming decades, particularly in urban areas, without enhanced international cooperation. These findings are from the U.N. World Water Development Report 2023. The report revealed that 2 billion people (26% of the population) lack safe drinking water, while 3.6 billion (46%) lack access to safely managed sanitation.

No money.

Or in the case of Africa there is plenty of money it just put in the pockets of the administrators and not used to what it should be, fixing leaks.

Its safe clean fresh water that is in short supply

lustyd

Visit site
Or in the case of Africa there is plenty of money it just put in the pockets of the administrators and not used to what it should be, fixing leaks.

Its safe clean fresh water that is in short supply
Fixing leaks isn't the route to fresh water. If it was, the UK would be sorted by now. There are many approaches to the problem, but pocketing money isn't one of them and doesn't lead to the supply of this most abundant resource.

You just described an abundance of corruption, not a lack of water.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Fixing leaks isn't the route to fresh water. If it was, the UK would be sorted by now. There are many approaches to the problem, but pocketing money isn't one of them and doesn't lead to the supply of this most abundant resource.

You just described an abundance of corruption, not a lack of water.

As I said its safe clean fresh water that in short supply then is plenty of dirty unsafe polluted fresh water as well as undrinkable water

lustyd

Visit site
As I said its safe clean fresh water that in short supply then is plenty of dirty unsafe polluted fresh water as well as undrinkable water
Which could be processed, if people put their minds and their money to it rather than taking the money and running. Not a shortage of water though, it's a shortage of sense.