Sailing with increasing Disabilities

johnalison

Visit site
On two occasions I had the doubtful honour of my catheter being passed by a Registrar because the House doctor couldn't do it! I recall that on one occasion the "dodge" was to put the catheter in the fridge for a while so the plastic stiffened.
You were lucky! After an interminable wait I was approached by a 30-stone Phillipino male nurse at one in the morning, probably a retired sumo wrestler. He used all his strength to achieve what he wanted, while complaining “there’s resistance”. I developed an instant phobia of catheters that took months to overcome.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
On a more general theme, I reduced my meat, and added sugar intake and my energy returned along with much better sleep. I also became less aware of aches and pains. My weight dropped and I move around much better. As time has passed , I have also largely substituted fruit and veg for processed food and meat. . In the high seventies and I only take one drug daily for a long standing inherent condition.

It's a fun challenge, and I felt lousy for about the first three weeks .

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
I recently joined a free UK health research project: ourfuturehealth.org.uk/
Worthy but only helps future generations really.
Zoe seemed more interesting but try and sell me diet and health regimes, most of which assume I am overweight and at risk of diabetes and unaware of gut biome. As neither is true I simply dont need to be told to avoid overprocessed foods and eat my veggies, as I already do

My health issues are injuries, genetic and the old mans prostate - none of which are greatly influence diet or indeed lifestyle

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
Rather wonderful that a forum dedicated to sailing can provide an opportunity for such a discussion.
And I don't think we've touched on a matter that exercised our elderly (2 x 80s + 1 x 70s) crew last month: helping each other over our slightly tippy gang-plank at different angles in each port... I'm not as good at walking in an accurate straight line as I used to be!

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
I think it useful for active folk and sportsfolk to discuss how injury or infirmity affects us

Its a dirty avoided secret that climbing causes injury and this takes time to get over, and I think liesure runners gloss over this too - which doesnt help

As we age there are many or perhaps all of us who have to swallow the anchor eventually, but how can we delay that dreadful day?

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I think it useful for active folk and sportsfolk to discuss how injury or infirmity affects us

Its a dirty avoided secret that climbing causes injury and this takes time to get over, and I think liesure runners gloss over this too - which doesnt help

As we age there are many or perhaps all of us who have to swallow the anchor eventually, but how can we delay that dreadful day?
Where I worked there were an awful lot of fitness enthusiasts who did sports like long-distance running, triathlon, fell walking, mountain climbing and so on. I noticed that when they encountered an injury or ill-health that prevented them from carrying on, they suddenly seemed to age quickly.

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
Where I worked there were an awful lot of fitness enthusiasts who did sports like long-distance running, triathlon, fell walking, mountain climbing and so on. I noticed that when they encountered an injury or ill-health that prevented them from carrying on, they suddenly seemed to age quickly.
That can also happen to people who identify too closely with their job and die quite soon after retiring...

ashtead

Visit site
Having worn both a day and night set up post op at home for only a week think you are quite brave to attempt sailing but rather depends on your crew numbers and your role and set up. My only advice for a strapped day use version is buy some multiple pairs of cheap jogging bottoms if a kilt doesn’t appeal. Clearly having a shower on board each morning and hot water assists with initial process but you should be able to arrange via your consultant for a courier delivery of required tubing Velcro holders and spare supply of many bags -using your credit card -post op I bought my anti coolant syringes this way -turned up within an hour. The local GP unable to help as referred me to A&E .

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Showers on an 8.5m LM27? Neither space nor water capacity - harbours and marinas everyday will do for self and Navigatoress

If you see me in jogging bottoms please sit me in front of 99cm tv and euthanase - I have zip of bottom walking trousers so will use those if long leg bags not available. At present long leg bag gives simplicity but need something else by friday and only have spare thigh bags

It would be nice to have a Consultant but catheterisation was in A&E in different hospital with no discharge notes and Sirona bristol healthcare havent contacted me or answered the phone, which is disturbing in that catheter is hopefully temporary so I need to know when it will be taken out (10 days night bags posted to me with no notes or sender details) I await civilisation in Guernsey tomorrow and will follow Little Sisters suggested leads

However sailing Plymouth to Salcombe if F3 to F5 was great and managing so far. If navigator need pee at night she asks how my bag is doing - married love!