Report o brief visit to view Gibsea 28

Stemar

Visit site
Flaky deck paint is usually an indication of inadequate preparation. That probably means that most if not all the old stuff will have to come off. On a smooth surface, that's a bit of a bugger, on moulded non-slip it's a total nightmare.

That and the keel are the big red flags for me, but if you can live with a slightly scruffy boat and the keel can be raised and lowered without a problem, she could be OK. The paint could be bodged if you accept it's going to peel again in a year or two. Windows are a pain, but fixable; so is the keel, but rather you than me.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
You presumably don't actually have to do anything about the flaky deck paint, apart from put up with the eyesore. The longer you leave it flaky, the less paint will be left to remove if/when you eventually get round to tidying it up.

You seem to have focused on the paint and rather, er, glossed over the leaks. They are a real pain. It bad enough getting stuff wet all the time, but once you get waves and spray coming over the boat that means you are getting water and salt - which attract moisture, so you'll never get stuff dry and you'll be beset with mould and the smell of damp. You mention windows, but are you sure that where the water is coming in is from the windows (and only from the widows) - should be easy to tell from stains unless this is a very new occurrence. If water is getting in somewhere other than the windows (possibly in addition to window leaks) it can sometimes be very difficult to trace the source - where it is getting in from outside may be different to where it is coming in inside if it is, e.g. travelling along between mouldings. Back to the windows and different methods of fitting windows are easier or harder, (and cheaper or more expensive, to reseal. If the leaks were an easy/quick job, why didn't existing owner fix them, rather than (unsuccessfully) put a tarpaulin over the coachroof?

As others have said, the failure to demonstrate raising of the lifting keel is a red flag. It may be there is a simply fixed failure of e.g. the lifting mechanism , but it could be a serious problem with the keel that might be expensive to get to the bottom of, let alone actually fix.

Shame as it seems without these problems this could have been a very nice boat. But it definitely has problems, and to make it worse the time and cost of solving them is unclear, but it won't be very quick, and could potentially be very time consuming and very expensive.

The asking price seems a lot, even for Galicia, considering these serious problems.

I agree. Walk away.

Wansworth

Visit site
You presumably don't actually have to do anything about the flaky deck paint, apart from put up with the eyesore. The longer you leave it flaky, the less paint will be left to remove if/when you eventually get round to tidying it up.

You seem to have focused on the paint and rather, er, glossed over the leaks. They are a real pain. It bad enough getting stuff wet all the time, but once you get waves and spray coming over the boat that means you are getting water and salt - which attract moisture, so you'll never get stuff dry and you'll be beset with mould and the smell of damp. You mention windows, but are you sure that where the water is coming in is from the windows (and only from the widows) - should be easy to tell from stains unless this is a very new occurrence. If water is getting in somewhere other than the windows (possibly in addition to window leaks) it can sometimes be very difficult to trace the source - where it is getting in from outside may be different to where it is coming in inside if it is, e.g. travelling along between mouldings. Back to the windows and different methods of fitting windows are easier or harder, (and cheaper or more expensive, to reseal. If the leaks were an easy/quick job, why didn't existing owner fix them, rather than (unsuccessfully) put a tarpaulin over the coachroof?

As others have said, the failure to demonstrate raising of the lifting keel is a red flag. It may be there is a simply fixed failure of e.g. the lifting mechanism , but it could be a serious problem with the keel that might be expensive to get to the bottom of, let alone actually fix.

Shame as it seems without these problems this could have been a very nice boat. But it definitely has problems, and to make it worse the time and cost of solving them is unclear, but it won't be very quick, and could potentially be very time consuming and very expensive.

The asking price seems a lot, even for Galicia, considering these serious problems.

I agree. Walk away.
Thanks for you contribution……The package of the boat and it being in the ria makes it something to think about.No urgency as the agent is away till September.I agree about the leaks being the biggest known problem.Thinking at the momment is take up the offer of a trial sail and review the centerboard problem and take a closer look at the whole boat…..having put in a new engine the owner is keen to recoup his money I guess……I muttered something about 8.000 euros😏…….

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Thanks for you contribution……The package of the boat and it being in the ria makes it something to think about.No urgency as the agent is away till September.I agree about the leaks being the biggest known problem.Thinking at the momment is take up the offer of a trial sail and review the centerboard problem and take a closer look at the whole boat…..having put in a new engine the owner is keen to recoup his money I guess……I muttered something about 8.000 euros😏…….
You only decision is are you competent and willing to take on the work particularly sorting out the leaks and any other problems that will be lurking as the boat has not been maintained.

Wansworth

Visit site
You only decision is are you competent and willing to take on the work particularly sorting out the leaks and any other problems that will be lurking as the boat has not been maintained.
Well observed!……I am leaning towards stamp collecting as an alternative pastime,but your right in away this is my condundrum.

Wansworth

Visit site
Please gentlemen,tranquilo,thank you all for your opinions which are inwardly being digested,I openly admit to my failings as an engineer and electrician that’s why I was happy in my engineless sloop with oil lamps….?but maybe it’s a late in life challenge …..besides in Vigo there are countless marine engineers and electricians

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
…..besides in Vigo there are countless marine engineers and electricians

But you haven't reported needing an engineer or electrician. :unsure: You need a general boatbuilder/repairer.

Maybe I was a bit too damning in saying in previous post to walk away, because it is potentially a nice and seemingly near ideal boat, but you need to both reduce/eliminate the unknowns, and budget for having the bulk of the work done by a yard. It doesn't seem realistic to me to think you'll do it when you're down there to maintain the land. Can you do the two at once? Would you ever get to go sailing?

I'm not sure why you're focusing on the trial sail. It's a middle of the road boat that will sail acceptably. A trial sail is good because it might reveal(probably minor) issues with the rigging sails, and gearbox/controls, but isn't going to clarify the more major problems of the keel and leaks.

You need a boatyard (and budget) to -
1) KEEL - Before committing to purchase establish why the keel can't be lifted and whether it is properly secure in its down position (likely needing a hoist/crane). I would want this done pre-purchase because fixing it could be either a minor or a major issue/cost.
2) LEAKS - Before committing to purchase establish whether the leaks are from the windows and hatch only, and if so remove and rebed windows and seal/replace hatch. If its leaks are more than just windows and hatch, it remains an unknown quantity in terms of tracking down the leaks and the cost/time to fix them.
3) DECK - clean off deck paint and repaint. At least this is a relatively known quantity you can get a quote for before purchase

Locker hinge and re-proofing sprayhood you can presumably do yourself.

Along with all the (hopefully) little issues you won't have spotted that you get with any boat! 😁

Wansworth

Visit site
Thanks for your in-depth analysis.The trial sail would include raising and lowering of the keel.Decks can be done bit by bit……leaks as you point our need to be fixed even so a tarpaulin whilst in the marina will get us by.To some extent it will be our second home even if it takes till next Spring to sort out I can stay aboard with access to showers etc and parking within two minutes of the field.The visiting September will be more exhaustive than the brief visit on I Monday…..I could hand it over to Lagos in Vigo and they would give me a new boat but at what cost,there are very few boat fixers around of the self employed type

Last edited:

Thresher

Visit site
From the look of it the windows are much the same as on my leisure 27, perspex, bedded and screwed, standing proud. I removed them, re- bedded and re-screwed them when I bought the boat over 20 years ago, cracking one in the process. Last year when they leaked again I ran a bead of silicone around them much as you would a bath. Works great, looks fine if done well, especially if you have a flaky deck to draw your eye away and if I have to rake it off and do it again it costs next to nothing and takes no time at all.
You've fallen for this boat, I can tell.
Btw. I've just arrived in Baiona, do you know a safe place to watch the match on Sunday?

Wansworth

Visit site
From the look of it the windows are much the same as on my leisure 27, perspex, bedded and screwed, standing proud. I removed them, re- bedded and re-screwed them when I bought the boat over 20 years ago, cracking one in the process. Last year when they leaked again I ran a bead of silicone around them much as you would a bath. Works great, looks fine if done well, especially if you have a flaky deck to draw your eye away and if I have to rake it off and do it again it costs next to nothing and takes no time at all.
You've fallen for this boat, I can tell.
Btw. I've just arrived in Baiona, do you know a safe place to watch the match on Sunday?
Well there are two marinas where you are…..further into the ria Cangas on the north side is where my wife hails from,there is a marina…..or you can anchour in the bay off the beach availability of berths is a question of going it’s holidaytimesocould be full ……..welcome to Galicia!……and thanks for hints and tips!

Wansworth

Visit site
Safe in what sense…….the Galicians will make you welcome!…….I would choose the Real Baiona YachtClub probably more expensive but a nicer place

Last edited: